Is there still a place for Gamers@Dockers?

Talk about anything.
shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:55 am

Fraser wrote:Actually given that GG is already up and running on the same evening, I am happy for Gamers@Dockers to keep going as normal and only revisit if there's a drastic drop in numbers. If that happened then we may visit returning to fortnightly.
I think GG is up and running in a sense that there will be WoW TCG drafters on Thur nights. Russ (aka Gomez) has kindly opened up the space as an option for boardgamers since he's open late anyway.

And if we do go to GG, I would see it as Gamers@Dockers (as a club entity) having another location in which members can meet. So we get to keep the club membership card/status/

Ultimately, maybe the founding members of Dockers (Reggy, Fraser) get to decide what they want to do?

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:20 am

I really think it is a bad idea to splinter the group by keeping Dockers and GG open on the same day.

We already are a small group of regulars to start off with. If half of us migrate to the CBD, and the other stay at Docklands, we'd risk losing the critical mass of gamers that allow you to show up without any plans, find enough people around to start a game.

What would we lose by having a trial alternating week schedule? Are there any regulars (people who come almost every week to Docklands) who would not go to GG two times a week as a trial?

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:00 am

Yeah.

I would only support either moving Dockers to GG permanently on the same schedule... or not. Any other result is bad and would likely result in splintering; This includes any sort of alternating schedule or power sharing. When gamers have to start thinking "I can't remember which nights I should be at Dockers/GG and I don't have Internet access right now", they default to "too hard, I won't go".

The key to Docker's success has been consistency. You know you can rock up on a Thursday Christmas Day and get a game in because it's still a Thursday and it has been like that for years.

I understand Shawn's desire to support the shop but the first priority must always be what's best for gaming and the Dockers group.

Given the differing opinions and the risk of splintering I say at this point lets just leave it as is!. Of course, GG can have gaming nights ever other day of the week if they want, I'm not fussed about what they do.
Last edited by bsmith on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:06 am

bsmith wrote:The key to Docker's success has been consistency. You know you can rock up on a Thursday Christmas Day and get a game in because it's still a Thursday and it has been like that for years.
Minor correction, every Thursday except Public Holidays.

So unfortunately for your Christmas Day gaming we will have to go to Ben's place :-)
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:11 am

I vaguely remember a Boxing Day session a while ago, that may have been an exception though haha.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:16 am

Has anyone else noticed that melbournegamers.com hasn't been consummated with its first flame war yet? Where are you Skeletor, we need you! :D

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:28 am

bsmith wrote: The key to Docker's success has been consistency. You know you can rock up on a Thursday Christmas Day and get a game in because it's still a Thursday and it has been like that for years.

I understand Shawn's desire to support the shop but the first priority must always be what's best for gaming and the Dockers group.

Given the differing opinions and the risk of splintering I say at this point lets just leave it as is!. Of course, GG can have gaming nights ever other day of the week if they want, I'm not fussed about what they do.
Misquoted! Not in this to support the store.

The more people discussed options, the more the city location seems like it will be 'better' for the hobby. It's easier to access, closer to public transport. As it stands, at least four people have said that they would go if it was in the city but not if it were at Dockers.

Either way doesn't matter to me.

VOTE BEN!

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:52 am

After reading all the responses, I perceive that people are not willing to make a final decision until there is more familiarity with the GG store.

No matter, it's not as if we're working against a dead line or something. In this case, what we want as gamers should be top priority. I say let's advertise the fact that Good Games opens for boardgaming on Thurs and Fri nights (like they already do for their CCG crowd). And perhaps get Russell to hold some all-day gaming events at his store, something similar to Convic or Adam's upcoming Cup Day gaming.

See what pans out after a couple of months. Move Dockers to GG only if it's obvious that most people are more comfortable at GG, otherwise leave it at status quo.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:52 pm

Hey Russell, totally off topic, but there was a callout to you! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2756116#2756116
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

Reggy

Post by Reggy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:53 pm

My preference is to keep Gamers as is and have GG on another night for two main reasons:

I like what we do now and

Sometimes I just can't do a Thursday and it would be nice to have an alternative night.

FWIW, I am more than happy to continue to support G@D. We know it's all about boardgames and even though I will have to make a whole bunch of new cards again, I'd like to keep our identity.

BTW, no charge on cards next year for existing members.

My original post was not really intended to open up pandora's can of worms and I can see that there is enough support for Gamers to continue as is.

Cheers
Reggy

Unhalfbricking

Post by Unhalfbricking » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:44 pm

shawn_low wrote: Cons:
a) We'll have to hear Julian will moan about a Games Store hosting a gaming session.
I am far more concerned about the the fact you never seem to pass up an opportunity to disparage me/my business. If you don't want to talk to or listen to me, then don't. It's easy.

However, constantly trying to create negative publicity for my business which, I know, has been instrumental in keeping your expenses down when you buy games in Australia, whether from me or not, is neither necessary nor justified.

Julian

Gomez

Post by Gomez » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:29 pm

TaleSpinner wrote:I say let's advertise the fact that Good Games opens for boardgaming on Thurs and Fri nights (like they already do for their CCG crowd). And perhaps get Russell to hold some all-day gaming events at his store, something similar to Convic or Adam's upcoming Cup Day gaming.
& Tuesdays, starting next week :)

All day things on weekends probably aren't a great idea ATM - there are always plenty of CCG "kids" around which I'd suggest boardgamers would prefer to avoid...

R.

Gomez

Post by Gomez » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:30 pm

Fraser wrote:Hey Russell, totally off topic, but there was a callout to you! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2756116#2756116
Ta. Thanks to my new venture I've been on BGG a total of twice in the past 6 weeks & haven't looked at my mail at all...

R.

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:46 am

I vote we move dockers to weds night so I can start going again ;)

BenQ

Post by BenQ » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:30 pm

I vote we leave it at NAB. NAB provides perfect gaming rooms really.

Well lit, nice tables and comfortable high tech chairs, air conditioned, . toilets close by and lots of free parking at the end of Bourke St. etc...

Plus it's already extablished.