printing custom cards

General gaming discussion.
Wimma

printing custom cards

Postby Wimma » Mon May 18, 2015 11:37 am

Just a noob here wondering if anyone knew of the best place to print up custom cards?
A post back from 2010 suggested http://www.artscow.com/ but wasn't sure if that was currently the best.
Any local places (I'm in Melb)?
I've been looking at redjaks-automated-overlord-variant for Descent 2E, and would love some proper cards to try. Sure there's a few more cards I'd like to print too.
Appreciate any help.
Thanks.

dougadams

Re: printing custom cards

Postby dougadams » Mon May 18, 2015 11:49 am

In the past 12 months I have used PrinterStudio and been very pleased with the results.

I made up about ten sets of Machi Koro cards based on an uploaded project, and the cards were seriously good quality (better than the IDW official cards). Nice linen finish, and durable.

Wimma

Postby Wimma » Mon May 18, 2015 12:09 pm

dougadams wrote:In the past 12 months I have used PrinterStudio and been very pleased with the results.

Awesome, will check them out. Not sure how bad postage is.
Do you need to use any special programs top make up the cards? I'll go do some research...
Thanks!

christianmoura

Postby christianmoura » Mon May 18, 2015 12:43 pm

I haven't tried out any alternatives, but Artscow has always been great. There usually is a free shipping discount code available, and production and shipping have been quick.

A few weeks ago I ordered 12 decks of custom Up Front cards, they were great.

dougadams

Postby dougadams » Mon May 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Wimma wrote:
dougadams wrote:In the past 12 months I have used PrinterStudio and been very pleased with the results.

Awesome, will check them out. Not sure how bad postage is.
Do you need to use any special programs top make up the cards? I'll go do some research...
Thanks!

Postage is usually okay - you create an account and get some coupons for free/discounted shipping, etc. I've never uploaded a project myself - just leeched the hard work of others ... :)

Wimma

Postby Wimma » Mon May 18, 2015 4:24 pm

dougadams wrote:Postage is usually okay - you create an account and get some coupons for free/discounted shipping, etc. I've never uploaded a project myself - just leeched the hard work of others ... :)

Sounds like a plan :P
Already found a project someone put together with all the cards I wanted too!
Just got to work out how to put the order through, and get them the right size and material.
Then find a code :)
Cheers!

dougadams

Postby dougadams » Mon May 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Wimma wrote:Then find a code :)
Cheers!

I think there is a DIY Printing thread or geeklist on Boardgamegeek, and they publish codes when they come along. May be worth checking it out.

Wimma

Postby Wimma » Tue May 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Had a look at BGG, and then went through an order process for the 144 card lot someone put together for Descent solo work by Redjack. Ouch. Was coming up at ~US$26 for the cards, another US$8 or so postage. Wow :(

Wimma

Postby Wimma » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:44 pm

Just an update - I got the RAOV cards for Descent 2E printed by printerstudio.
Quality felt nice, but some of the printing/cutting was off (like card was cut a couple mm off, so one border was much larger than the other).
I took some photos and emailed them to ask if I did wrong, and they just said it was a cutting error, they were sorry, would improve, and sent me a second batch.
Awesome customer service! :smt038

Return to “General”