ConVic12 - your input is needed if it is to happen

One of Melbourne's biggest and best gaming events; Normally held at Auburn Bowls Club twice a year.
Unhalfbricking

ConVic12 - your input is needed if it is to happen

Postby Unhalfbricking » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:28 pm

As many of you might be aware, I have temporary work in Canberra until early May 2014, after which I have every intention of returning to Melbourne permanently. This has resulted in huge upheaval for my gaming life & my business, which I am taking to Canberra with me for the 10 months.

Additionally, ConVic has lost its venue from last year (we did not spend enough money apparently).
Now, I would love to have ConVic happen. However, it is clearly impractical for me to organise it. This is a shame, as I'll once again have the new releases from Essen 2013 to let you all try out. So, the thing is this...

Does anyone else want ConVic to happen, enough to take on the mantle or organiser, on either a one-off or permanent basis. It is not a huge amount of work, but it can get pretty dispiriting.

Things you need to know:
Martin Wallace (designer of Age of Steam, Brass, Discworld, Dr Who Card Game, etc etc) has agreed to attend, but his wife is asking me for a quick repsonse that it is going ahead. It needs for both my own needs (time to get things back from Germany) & theirs to be the weekend of 29th November to 1st December.

Unhalfbricking would get free on-going retailing rights. However, sponsorship would be possible under the right circumstances.

So, please let me know asap if you want to take it over & run it. Maybe you can build it up again to where it was 8 years ago when it started.

crikeythecat

Re: ConVic12 - your input is needed if it is to happen

Postby crikeythecat » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Do you have any rough stats on what is needed for ConVic to run?
- average number of people attending each day (obviously an issue if we didnt spend enough money)
- max number of people attending (capacity)
- number of interstate visitors who normally need accomodation (I assume Bordercon venue is happy to host due to getting a full hotel)

My first attendence was last year but i notice this has been around a few different venues.
What sort of venue has been the best?
Assuming anything was possible do you think a very central Melbourne based venue would be good (eg. accomodation for interstate folk, trains) or bad (eg. parking hassles)

urbaer

Postby urbaer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Was very much looking forward to Convic this year.... and Martin Wallace! Wow!

I'd be happy to work with someone to make sure it happens.

Unhalfbricking

Postby Unhalfbricking » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:46 pm

crikeythecat wrote:Do you have any rough stats on what is needed for ConVic to run?
- average number of people attending each day (obviously an issue if we didnt spend enough money)
- max number of people attending (capacity)
- number of interstate visitors who normally need accomodation (I assume Bordercon venue is happy to host due to getting a full hotel)

My first attendence was last year but i notice this has been around a few different venues.
What sort of venue has been the best?
Assuming anything was possible do you think a very central Melbourne based venue would be good (eg. accomodation for interstate folk, trains) or bad (eg. parking hassles)

OK, first off, Martin tells me he was only coming if I was organising it, so next year is likely, but not this.

Numbers at the first one were around 80, with somewhere about 50 at any one time. We used to get interstate visitors, but not for the last 2. If you look at attendance, ConCentric last year was 70% Victorians, Bordercon is similar. I had billets lined up in the early days for those who wanted them but they were rarely used. Now, we recently only got 50-60 (fewer than Cafe Games monthly or Royal Standard fortnightly).

The venue needs to be:
a large room, not a community house or similar
preferably carpeted to reduce noise
a bar & food facilities are becoming almost a must
as people tend to like to game to past midnight, a good parking venue would probably be most popular.

Due to CanCon, BorderCon, ConCentric & PAX, plus the plethora of regular public gaming available in Melbourne, I am not convinced that there really is any great desire for this convention. Maybe a weekend away style like Bodercon & conCentric might be more popular. I think many people find other plans encroaching on their weekend so they only turn up for a few hours. Fresh blood in organising might lead to a change in attitude,who knows? I think I'd prefer to change for this residential model, as it means we are all a little more focused.

Cheers
Julian

Avatrix

Postby Avatrix » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:50 am

Ah, wish I'd seen this before now. On the other hand, with it being accreditation year at work, it wouldn't have made any difference other than frustrate me in my lack of capacity to act.

Rob ( of RobnErin fame) put a proposition to me earlier this year about a grand old (I think coastal) venue he knows, that would be a stunning venue for a weekend games getaway.
He hasn't yet sent me the details ( get on it, Rob!). I'm interested in setting this up for next year.
ConVic meets mystery / murder weekend storyline?? It would add an intriguing twist to the content (ie, there could be the offer to participate in an additional layer of dress up & role play whilst going bout the business of playing loads of games at a convention...)

Firstly, Julian, does this have your support? Shall we proceed in this general direction?
Next - Anyone interested in being in the working party for this? Rob, you're stretched, I know, so get me the details of the hotel , if you have capacity for further involvement, grouse.

That's about all for now. I'll be available to start coordinating this from January if it's got legs.

Return to “ConVic”