Session report 15/9/11

westgarthworldwide

Session report 15/9/11

Post by westgarthworldwide » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:48 am

A Thursday session at Carlos's Cantina saw 3 games played.

First a game of Race For The Galaxy (basic) which Carlos won, with Ben coming second and David a close third.

Then the main game of the night, London. No-one had played it before, but Gerald was familiar with the rules and we took turns trying to build up London's buildings and monuments without being overwhelmed by paupers. There was enormous controversy over a few innocent rules mistakes, with Carlos threatening a walk-out, but some retrospective mathematics fixed the problem to everyone's satisfaction (except Ben, who suffered horribly and lost as a result). In the final tally, David won with his omnibus/underground/lots of boroughs strategy. Carlos came second with his no-loans big-money operation. Gerald came third and Ben came resoundingly last due to armies of hungry, ungrateful peasants.

Gerald had to go home for some reason but we still had time for a final game of Race For The Galaxy.
Carlos scored 81 points. What more need be said?

Catering: Corn chips and hot drinks were well received. Some additional potato chips were provided by David but not until the end of the evening, allowing Carlos to "save them for next Monday night".
Attachments
ScreenHunter_09 Apr. 12 11.03.gif
ScreenHunter_09 Apr. 12 11.03.gif (101.83 KiB) Viewed 3875 times
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

carlos

Re: Session report 15/9/11

Post by carlos » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:54 am

Well I did ask for an adjustment on the 25 or so VP that you won on one turn, but hardly a walk out.

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:26 pm

There is a sliding scale - a threatened walkout, a spit-the-dummy, a table-toss etc.

It was pretty mild considering. The only thing that got me (in both senses) was that if I had known that the turn would work the way it ultimately did I wouldn't have done my management at all until I had more cards down as the main point of using the duplicating effect of hospitals was not just to get VPs but to diminish the number of paupers and cards in my hand (which translated to paupers when I was stuck with them). In fact, with 6 less paupers I would have had about 18 more VPs on that sliding scale thing at the end I think.

We'll know better next time.
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

carlos

Post by carlos » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Maybe we need to organise a London rematch, this time with UN observers, overseeing the running of the city.