RSS feed?

Suggest improvements to the forum.

Would you like MelbourneGamers to provide RSS feed(s)?

Yes - Just one for the whole site is enough
33%
Yes - And I can select different sections or sub-sections
33%
No / Don't care
33%

Total votes: 9

gerald

Postby gerald » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:17 pm

TaleSpinner wrote:I'm using IE7.0 and it detected the feed automatically with no problems. For those with IE7.0, on the top right-hand corner of your browser is the RSS Feed pull-down menu that looks like the attachment below. Click on it and select the option "RSS". This will install the RSS feed into your IE7.0 favourites. To see the feed, click on the Favourites star and select the "Feeds" tab.

I did just that, and it effectively adds Melbourne Gamers to the 'feeds'...

But the links still point to example.com! See the status bar at the bottom (my mouse pointer was above "MelbourneGamers.com"). :cry:

Did yours correctly point here?
Attachments
ie_rss_mg.png
ie_rss_mg.png (43.72 KiB) Viewed 3766 times

TaleSpinner

Postby TaleSpinner » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:43 am

Hmm.. you're right. The feed installs, but no updates come through. The last few posts should have turned up on the rss page..

Ben probably screwed it up. :p

dougp

Postby dougp » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:55 am

It can take quite a while for new posts to come through. Your RSS reader has to poll (ie periodically check) the rss feed, unlike email where updates are pushed to you more or less immediately. I think the rss feed is still useful for seeing new threads, but the email notifications are still useful for participating in a thread that you've already posted in. That's how I'm doing it anyway.

For the RSS beginners, I think it is useful if you have a lot of low traffic blogs/comics/news sites/etc sites that you want to keep up with. I've tried using it for high traffic sites, and it is not that useful. If a site you want to read has 10 or more updates per day, it is easier just to go to that site, rather than trying to read it through RSS.

dougp

Postby dougp » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:37 am

Then again, I got the message from frank about him being away for the weekend and not knowing if he can play TI3, but I haven't got any of the messages from this thread.

bsmith
Site Admin

Postby bsmith » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:15 am

I've been busy playin' ET:Quake Wars and Team Fortress 2; Sorry guys!

I changed the RSS plugin because "Smartfeed" was crap anyway. This one still needs some of my time, there are no author names appearing yet. So grab the new URL and put it in your aggregator, should tide you over for a bit :)

TaleSpinner

Postby TaleSpinner » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:24 pm

Much, much better :) Thanks, bsmith!

Return to “Suggestions”