Suggest improvements to the forum.
bsmith
Site Admin

Why a forum and not a normal web page?

Post by bsmith » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:19 am

Hey Ben,

That's a neat idea:

A coupla suggestions.

1) If it's purely for information, why not have a webpage listing details and perhaps a link to any existing club websites? This way, there's no need for sign up for yet another forum (God knows I'm on too many already).
Cheers,
Shawn

----------------------------------------------------

There are a few reasons I created a forum as opposed to a static website.

Firstly, the info on websites needs to be updated frequently by one individual to keep it fresh (wikis are an exception). I wanted something which could be altered and would encourage discussion, this would at least let newcomers feel welcome and discover that we're not a bunch of pimply geeks with few social skills :).
Also, if a game club has changed premesis for example, it just takes a single member to post a thread and immediately it's up there for people to check. No need to contact a webmaster who could be on holiday in the bahamas :)

Also, plain websites are boring. You log in to it at 8am, then if you log in again at 5pm nothing has changed! Who wants to frequently visit a site which never changes? Look at Boardgamegeek, the reason the site is such a huge success is because you can surf it all day but still not keep up with the articles and discussions people are submitting. It's so dynamic and a wealth of information. I looked at BGG 10 minutes ago, I bet if I go in there now there is a new review to read. How cool is that?!

Ben
Last edited by bsmith on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:08 am

Thanks for your lesson in teh internetz Benny.
I always wondered what the whole world wide web thing was about.

Reggy

Boring huh

Post by Reggy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:11 am

Ok Ben, I'll delete the Gamers@Dockers web page, even after all the hard work I put into it try to get members. Never mind, I go now to die...

Mr Skeletor

Re: Boring huh

Post by Mr Skeletor » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 am

Reggy wrote:Ok Ben, I'll delete the Gamers@Dockers web page, even after all the hard work I put into it try to get members. Never mind, I go now to die...
Can I have your games?

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:12 am

Mr Skeletor wrote:
Reggy wrote:Ok Ben, I'll delete the Gamers@Dockers web page, even after all the hard work I put into it try to get members. Never mind, I go now to die...
Can I have your games?
No because you don't like TransAmerica you are not allowed to have any of them!
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:16 am

Hehe, sorry Reg I didn't mean to piss off the entire planet. The Dockers website is awesome. I posted that as a response to a message Shawn left at BGG. He was asking why a message board and not a web page.

Ben

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:17 am

Fraser wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Can I have your games?
No because you don't like TransAmerica you are not allowed to have any of them!
Wait, if TransAmerica is in there I don't want them! They all could be infected!