Neuland

Billabong Boardgamers meet every Tuesday at Amaroo Neighbourhood Centre in Chadstone.
gregor

Neuland

Post by gregor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:14 pm

I've found out there's some interesting differences between the 1ed German rules and the Zman version.

In the first edition, minerals for a mine are *chosen* by the person who places the mine, and the mine tile goes back to stock when it's been exhausted-- so another mine can be built.

There's other differences, but they seem to be minor.

Graphically, the meeples were production oblongs-- it's not workers, but products on the board. This makes more sense; take products away when they're used, place them when they're available.

Interesting game, thanks!

Stefanie

Post by Stefanie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:13 pm

Interesting. I'll have to have a look at the Z-man rules, too.

I guess there are some differences between the first ed German rules and the one I have, too, as the mines were handles differently in my version (unless I got them wrong :shock:).

melissa

Post by melissa » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 pm

We tried to read the Zman rules and gave up.

It looks pretty, but ugh ...

I'd like to play it some time, though.

dougadams

Post by dougadams » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:58 am

melissa wrote:We tried to read the Zman rules and gave up.

It looks pretty, but ugh ...

I'd like to play it some time, though.
It's a very straightforward game to play - there is a much clearer re-write up on the geek.

melissa

Post by melissa » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:07 am

I'm sure it's easy enough to play, but the rules read like a bad Google translation from Swahili to Russian and back again.

Just picking random paragraphs:
To this end, everybody thinks time and again, "Would I rather work a long time but infrequently, or a short time but often? How can I manage to put my coat of arms on the coveted properties?" (with german not english-style quotation marks - very sloppy editing/proofreading)
Pile the tiles face down in such an order that the one with the highest number is lying on the bottom and the one with the lowest number is on top.
Draw a worker figure hidden from view; the player with that colour becomes the starting player.
Workers are principally placed only on production facilities that are on the gameboard.
Example: Product fee outside the cost area of the erection of a building that costs 1 action
If you have to give up several products from different distances for one and the same production, the product fee of the longest distance applies in the calculation of additional actions.
I get so annoyed reading the rules, I can't face playing the game.

Sigh.

dougadams

Post by dougadams » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:12 am

I went through those rules too... these are much better...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/31884

Give it a go... it's like a turbo charged Roads & Boats.

gregor

Post by gregor » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:01 pm

Roads and Boats lite? :D

Luckily for us, Stefanie handled the rules. We just did what we were told...