Easter Saturday 30th March 2013 - planning discussion

Billabong Boardgamers meet every Tuesday at Amaroo Neighbourhood Centre in Chadstone.
thingo

Easter Saturday 30th March 2013 - planning discussion

Postby thingo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:37 pm

At this stage, just floating the idea.

Are you interested in a full day of boardgaming on Easter Saturday?
Will you come along?
(I'm yet to hear back from Amaroo, regarding availability.)

I envision following the "full day" theme, with children supervised by their accompanying adults in the big room in the morning, and after lunch into the evening for adults, and young adults.

Let's discuss it here, and next Tuesday.

Andrea.

N.B. I received an email from one of our eagle-eyed number, alerting me to International TableTop Day. A.

edit, 7mar: changed subject line
Last edited by thingo on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MooseHead

International TableTop Day

Postby MooseHead » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:08 pm

From info at: http://www.tabletopday.com/index.php/about Image

"About

On March 30th, 2013, premium YouTube channel Geek & Sundry (The Guild, TableTop, Written By A Kid) asks all of our fans to go to their friendly local game store, community center, or host an event at home and play more games. International TableTop Day is a reminder to spend more time and strengthen the bonds with the people who matter most, our friends and family, by playing games together. Tabletop gaming promotes many positive social and cognitive benefits like increased communication, team work, planning, and is an excellent stress relieving activity for all ages.

International TableTop Day also represents the one year anniversary of the launch of the hit show TableTop, hosted by Wil Wheaton (Star Trek, Big Bang Theory, Leverage). TableTop has been a well-reported boon to the international gaming community, not only creating whole new generations of tabletop gamers, but also providing a rising tide that supports many game stores and publishers. TableTop fans have sent us thousands of fan mail responses telling us about how TableTop has rekindled their friendship, brought families together, helped hospital patients find strength to carry on, and even provided peace for grieving families. TableTop has become much more than a show, it has become a shining light for the whole international gaming community. And we want to give back to our fans in a very special way!

International TableTop Day is a celebration for all the fans of tabletop gaming. A single day where the whole world is brought together in a common purpose of spending time together and having fun. We hope you find the resources you need -- to connect new fans to experienced group organizers, retailers with their community, and publishers with the international community -- all in one place. The interactive map hosts all of the game days and parties worldwide. If you don't see an event near you, simply follow the free submission process to create and host your own TableTop Day event that we will promote for you. Download all the free content and collect all the exclusive promotional items made specifically to commemorate this event. All we ask in return is that you share your experience with us by using the social media hashtag #tabletopday on all your posts, pictures, stories, and videos. This way, we can all share in the fun wordwide. Let's for one day, all come together, put down our worries and play more games. Thank you!"

* = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = *
As an aside, if memory serves me, we had issues with Amaroo last year for an art expo over Easter if I remember correctly.

westgarthworldwide

Re: Easter Saturday 30th March 2013

Postby westgarthworldwide » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:20 pm

Conquest is having open board gaming over the Easter weekend.....
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

kathy

Postby kathy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm interested in attending at Billabong. :)

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi Andrea,

I suppose the question is "Will Billabong list the day - if it runs - on the TableTopDay Site?". If I'm in town for Easter then I would certainly attend (with Isabella in the morning and by myself later). I also think it might be nice to list on the TableTopDay Site as well so interested others might attend. Especially as it is not a regular Tuesday night so the strong "Latest and Greatest Eurogame" theme of Billabong might be relaxed a bit ;-)

What is Sol's thoughts on doing something similar for EGF as well/instead?

Anyway, Andrea - thanks for bringing up my email for discussion.

All the best, David F..

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:57 pm

westgarthworldwide wrote:Conquest is having open board gaming over the Easter weekend.....

Sorry - never heard of Conquest - so would not be attending there. Do you have a link?

MooseHead

Postby MooseHead » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:51 pm

@David: Saturday is off cycle for us and whilst I am happy to assist with putting Wadham House under EGF name if required and make our game collection available, I give all kudos to Andrea for picking up the baton and being prepared to run with it. If in town, I would support it and leave it up to the guidance of others as to whether it should be under any other banner other than International TableTop Gaming Day as suggested.

I know already that WABA (Western Australian Boradgames Association) are looking at doing something, Games Capital (Canberra) has said watch this space more for info, no doubt Jamie Lawrence in the absence of anyone else will get something happening at GoodGames Hurstville in Sydney and I am certain that between Friendless and others, something will happen in Brisvegas. That said, it would be a shame if something did not happen.

Is the space too small for a single event in Melbourne, probably not. Would Conquest provide a suitable focus, I suggest its dedication to RPG's and other non table top games would suggest that it may not be the best fit. Do we need something more central, probably do, though at what cost. On the upside, ConQuest which runs at Melbourne High does offer visitor status for the pricely sum of $2.00 and in the past under such guise it was possible to get general boardgaming/tabletop games happening though last time we tried it the opportunity was not well supported.

The Melbourne BoardGaming community is segmented into HardCore inclusive of ourselves. Social Strategy (euro) outings and Large party game events, all happening along side other forms of gaming inclusive of Magic the Gathering, Yugioh and anything else. We just have a poor track record in bringing it all together under one banner. Maybe Pax Melbourne will change some of that, though I doubt it. Many are keen to have things happen, just unwilling to be the champions to drive it and with those who hold leadership within in our gaming communities, there is only so much you cna do well with your time rather than diluting the valuable efforts that everyone puts in.

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:09 am

Thanks for the reply Sol. And thanks for suggesting that you could book Wadham House if Billabong wanted to use it.

As far as I can tell the TableTopDay people don't care if the event listed on their site is just a home gathering - they just want twitter, google+ and facebook to be trending #TableTopDay by as many people as possible. I think that the Saturday of Easter would be a nice day to play some games on - and my preferred place of play is Billabong. So I suggested to Andrea that maybe we could do that and also advertise it a bit wider via TableTopDay. I would be happy just with the day gaming and Billabong not listing at TableTopDay.

It is not mandatory that game sessions listed on the TableTopDay have to drop their own name - so it would be a Billabong Special Event (BSE* [patent pending]) possibly dragging in a few other interested "geekandsundry" watchers wanting to play games - and as always Billabong can specify that they are Heavy Eurogame focussed (What - even the little kiddies? Yes - even the little kiddies!).

If Billabong leadership/membership decides not to have gaming day on the Saturday that I can go to; then I'll invite some people to my home. I just want to play games and don't give a fig about TableTopDay - it was just nice to try some forward planning for a change - so once again my thanks to Andrea for considering my selfish suggestion of a BSE* [patent still pending] on Easter Saturday.

Now - the real question has changed:
Are there enough Billabong people interested in playing games on Easter Saturday to make it worthwhile Andrea following up?
My reply to the question is - I don't believe there are any family plans taking us out of Melbourne. So I will be there to play if it runs.

If it doesn't run then I'll invite some people over for a BYO stir fry - stay tuned!

thingo

Postby thingo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Yes, it was David who alerted me to International TableTop day.

Sol is correct: Amaroo was unavailable to us on the Tuesday following Easter in 2012. There's no word on whether another Art Show is planned for 2013.

Last Thursday evening, I emailed the Amaroo co-ordinator, enquiring about bookings on Easter Saturday, the 30th. I'm awaiting a reply.

I think it could be fun to have a "Billabong Special Event" (term coined above).
I'll be there.
Will you?

MooseHead

Postby MooseHead » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:11 am

thingo wrote:Yes, it was David who alerted me to International TableTop day.

Sol is correct: Amaroo was unavailable to us on the Tuesday following Easter in 2012. There's no word on whether another Art Show is planned for 2013.

Last Thursday evening, I emailed the Amaroo co-ordinator, enquiring about bookings on Easter Saturday, the 30th. I'm awaiting a reply.

I think it could be fun to have a "Billabong Special Event" (term coined above).
I'll be there.
Will you?
I have confirmed Wadham House availability should it be required. No booking made, my offer as previoslu made above stands.

thingo

Postby thingo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:58 pm

MooseHead wrote:I have confirmed Wadham House availability should it be required. No booking made, my offer as previously made above stands.

Beaut. Thanks Sol.
It sounds like we'll have a few participants.
Now we need to decide whether to go ahead as a Billabong BSE (yes, I know there's a redundant 'B' :) ), or an informal gathering, and which of (possibly) two locations.

thingo

Postby thingo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Ok. I've received advice that we may book Amaroo for the full day on Easter Saturday, the 30th.

On a side note (to this topic), new flooring is scheduled for Amaroo, to be installed after Easter. Possibly commencing on Tuesday 2nd April: meaning that we may not be able to use Amaroo on that Tuesday.

Return to “Billabong Boardgamers”