PnP games

Billabong Boardgamers meet every Tuesday at Amaroo Neighbourhood Centre in Chadstone.
Lucky

PnP games

Postby Lucky » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:08 pm

Just wondering if anyone has had experience printing out Print and Play games from the files of BGG. If so I want to get a bit of feedback about your experience when next we meet.

It'll save me dealing with those crooked game retailers. :)

westgarthworldwide

Re: PnP games

Postby westgarthworldwide » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:04 pm

It's the board scans that are the hardest!
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

TaleSpinner

Postby TaleSpinner » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:48 pm

I've built a few PnPs (Zombie Plague, Dungeon of D) and some custom bits for my other games. My most ambitious project was building my Magic Realm set.

I use mounting boards from Riot for tokens and board. Damn hard stuff to cut through - you'll need a Rotary Cutter (you can get one from LinCraft) to make the cuts nice and tidy. A cutting mat and a *metal* ruler is a must.

To mount, I used to print out stuff on my colour printer (laser is best, but inkjet works okay too) and use a UHU glue stick to paste it on to the mounting board, and then cut out with the Rotary Cutter. Recently, I've started printing straight out into A4 label paper (bought from OfficeWorks), and then sticking those on to the mounting board. Works much better.

Tiles and boards with straight edges are easiest with the Rotary Cutter. For round tokens, I use a sharp scissors and those are painful. I bought a round hole craft puncher from Lincraft, but that seems to create bent tokens. Still haven't figured out an easy way to make round tokens.

For cards, I print out the cards on normal A4, cut them out, put them on the front and back of a normal playing card and then sleeve it with a plastic card sleeve.

What are you planning to build?

Lucky

Postby Lucky » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:22 pm

En Garde was the inspiration for this post, but there have been other times in the past I have thought about it. An Australian map for Railway Tycoon, a hom brew expansion for Ysphahan, and a Lost Cities PnP.

Also it would be nice to send nicely done copies of games like Lost Cities to relatives overseas, in this case Cambodia and Fiji.

brett

Postby brett » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:00 pm

If you are gluing paper to cardboard, be wary that depending on the glue you use, it can warp the cardboard upon drying. This can be somewhat mitigated by applying glue to the other side of the cardboard (even though you aren't actually sticking anything to it).

I'm also a fan of applying clear contact to the paper and cardboard before cutting it just to help protect the the components from wear and tear during play.

One last thing.... get a guillotine (one with a lever type arm, not a sliding one). I found the rotary cutter good for small delicate jobs but cutting larger pieces of card was time consuming and tiring.

TaleSpinner

Postby TaleSpinner » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:47 pm

Also, be on the look-out for cheap games in Op Shops which you can cannibalise for the board and bits and sleevable cards. Getting a good-sized board that folds properly is fantastic. Just print out on label paper and stick it on, and viola! New board.

brett, what clear contact do you use? I should give that a go too.

brett

Postby brett » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:36 pm

Just the regular stuff on a roll from the stationery section at Safeway or Coles. I just apply it lightly and then use a cloth to push out all the bubbles. It only costs a couple of bucks per roll, so much cheaper than laminating.

westgarthworldwide

Postby westgarthworldwide » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Someone should make a youtube video about this stuff. That second hand board idea is a really good one.
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

Unhalfbricking

Postby Unhalfbricking » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:33 am

Lucky wrote:It'll save me dealing with those crooked game retailers. :)

I totally support this position. Stick with the straight ones & we'll see you right! ;)

ludo

Postby ludo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:27 am

The trick to cutting tokens is to use a tool called an arc punch. This is a metal die that has to be hit firmly with a heavy mallet, on a hardwood block. Provided you have a solid work surface and hit hard enough, you get crisp edges and no tears. An arc punch costs about $40 online. You can also use a gasket punch, which is basically the same thing only intended for leather and rubber, and generally not as big.

The other way to do good DIY tokens is to stick circular self-adhesive stickers to plastic counters.

I second the suggestion to reuse boards bought from opp shops. Be on the lookout for old copies of Trivial Pursuit: it's about the only way you ever get reusable quad-fold boards!

(Planning to make my own copy of Marracash one of these days)
When the going gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro

Return to “Billabong Boardgamers”