EGF Jan. 2nd Warning!

Held at Wadham House, Mount Waverley, first and third Sunday of every month.
shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:32 pm

I have emailed my contact on the fringe of the city (location is near corner of Swanston and Victoria). It's central and has plenty of parking round the area. Parking is free nearby after 12pm on Sat.

The area that I have asked about has a floor size similar to the entire Kew location (perhaps larger if we spill over to the other side).

Will wait and see.

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:08 am

I wasn't aware of the buscut rule so it wasn't that clear.
I'm not sure why they don't put them away if they didn't want them eaten - I mean they are left next to the coffee - which I'm assuming we are allowed to have?

ANyway I'm 100% behind a new venue. The club is too small, and 'no noise' is against boardgaming, I'm not interested in playing chess 'till 4:30!

elCaptain

Post by elCaptain » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:56 pm

Hey guys,

I'm going to second most of what is being said here. The EGF location is good but the no noise rule is very restrictive and basically goes against what we are trying to do here, ie have fun!

I think looking for a new venue is a good idea. I actually enquired about a community room at my local library recently and it cost approximately $80 for a full day... What are we currently paying?

It was a community room within the Darebin council (where I live), details here:
http://www.darebin.vic.gov.au/Page/page ... d=5577&h=0

Cost is 6.80 per hour, available Saturdays 9 till 11.

I'm also guilty of eating the biscuits, and therefore am in favour of buying some to say sorry. Maybe I'll just do that myself next time I attend. I might even lash out and buy the real BBQ Shapes instead of the cheaper ones they buy for themselves :)
Daniel
aka
elCaptain

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:06 pm

elCaptain wrote: It was a community room within the Darebin council (where I live), details here:
Darebin Council (emphasis added) wrote:Public Liability Insurance
Casual hirers are required to have Public Liability for their use of the facility. Council offers Casual Public Liability Scheme for approved hire of the facility.

Fees can vary, depending on the purpose of the hire and number of people attending.

All regular hirers are required to have their own Public Liability Insurance through an insurance company.
David, do you know if the umbrella EGF organisation has public liability insurance? Going through councils can bring up these sorts of bureaucratic nightmares.

Not an issue when subletting through another organisation.
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:20 pm

Fraser wrote:
elCaptain wrote: It was a community room within the Darebin council (where I live), details here:
Darebin Council (emphasis added) wrote:Public Liability Insurance
Casual hirers are required to have Public Liability for their use of the facility. Council offers Casual Public Liability Scheme for approved hire of the facility.

Fees can vary, depending on the purpose of the hire and number of people attending.

All regular hirers are required to have their own Public Liability Insurance through an insurance company.
David, do you know if the umbrella EGF organisation has public liability insurance? Going through councils can bring up these sorts of bureaucratic nightmares.

Not an issue when subletting through another organisation.

One of the reasons NSGA moved to Fawlkner was cost of public liability insurance. The costs of hiring the hall and insurance as a club came out to about $900 to $1000 a year. We hires the hall every fourth Sunday from noon till 6 pm. We charged $50 a year which still meant we needed 20 paying members to break even.

Chee
Dont Panic !

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:25 pm

I quite like the Kew venue as personally it is close to me with reasonable parking and we can stay as late as we like. Food places are close too.

As for the noise factor, it does not bother me as I don't think I make a lot of noise...feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Anyway it is only until 4.30 pm.

My 2¢

Thanks to Dave too for organising a venue for EGF in the first place.
Dont Panic !

Unhalfbricking

Post by Unhalfbricking » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:32 am

Would the Fawkner venue make sense for ConVic??

Julian

gregor

Post by gregor » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:29 am

I quite like the Kew venue myself; since it's sort of in the middle between the city and the eastern suburbs where I live. The city would be more of a pain, but I'd probably come anyway.

I guess I can try to play quiet thinky games until 430. It is less fun though. I can understand that last month was particularly noisy and that's fair enough. Do we have any guidelines on what's reasonable? Is regular conversation annoying to them (as Fraser suggested?), or is it really just when we get loud?

I guess if we do move, it would be good if everyone moved-- I'm ok with paying a bit more for a venue, but it would be harder if only some (loud, fun-loving) people moved.

BenQ

Kew Phyllis Hore Room - Key library for hire.

Post by BenQ » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:58 am

These venues are good and I have been to the Balwyn and Kew meeting rooms. The prices are also good if we qualify as a community group. The Kew one is nice and big and quite separate from the library.

http://www.boroondara.vic.gov.au/leisur ... s/roomhire

http://boroondara.mylithio.com/leisure/ ... facilities

http://boroondara.mylithio.com/leisure/ ... /kewphotos

Also do they play Bridge on a Sunday? If not, why not change the day and have it to ourselves.

There is also schools and universities who may have space.

Fraser

Re: Kew Phyllis Hore Room - Key library for hire.

Post by Fraser » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:07 am

BenQ wrote: Also do they play Bridge on a Sunday? If not, why not change the day and have it to ourselves.
Yes they do. Same time.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:10 am

gregor wrote:I guess I can try to play quiet thinky games until 430. It is less fun though. I can understand that last month was particularly noisy and that's fair enough. Do we have any guidelines on what's reasonable? Is regular conversation annoying to them (as Fraser suggested?), or is it really just when we get loud?
My guess is it is just the latter. Normal talking is OK, but the shouty and screaming is definitely not 8)

carlos

Post by carlos » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:49 am

Until someones found a new venue I don't see that we have much choice but to heed their request.

meng

Post by meng » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:03 pm

Everybody ... SSSSSHHHHHH!

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:17 pm

Jeff, where are the pics from saturday?