EGF Jan. 2nd Warning!

Held at Wadham House, Mount Waverley, first and third Sunday of every month.
intheclear

EGF Jan. 2nd Warning!

Post by intheclear » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:20 am

Gaming is on as usual this month, but we have once again been warned that we may lose ongoing access if we don't keep the noise level down, particularly while the Bridge players are there.

It has also been acknowledged that while we have improved in keeping the place clean, we still need to ensure that every bit of rubbish is taken away with us. We can't chuck our rubbish in any of the bins at the Club.

Finally, please don't eat their biscuits. It may seem minor but it's really annoying them and we need them more than they need us.

Happy gaming in 2009. David.
learnthelanguageofboardgaming(GG,Avatar,T2r,AOS,Teuber,BGG,Ystari,M44,Faidutti,T&E,Spiele,RR,TI3,Robbirob.)

gerald

Post by gerald » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:41 am

May I suggest that an exhaustive list of rules be readily available, probably next to the coin jar near the entrance, and reminders given during the day?

If some things are off limit (biscuits, what about tea&coffee?), they should be marked accordingly, to help avoid innocent mistakes. And what to do with our dirty mugs? (Wash, dry, put back on shelf; or just put them in the dishwasher?) Etc.

As you may have noticed, I'm not coming every month, so I may have missed these announcements in the past -- or just forgotten about them. :oops: Hence a reminder on arrival and/or an ever-present list of rules would be helpful.

Mr Skeletor

Re: EGF Jan. 2nd Warning!

Post by Mr Skeletor » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:46 am

intheclear wrote: Finally, please don't eat their biscuits. It may seem minor but it's really annoying them and we need them more than they need us.
Does that include after they have left? Like are they leaving their buscuts out for next week or something?

meng

Post by meng » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:25 pm

I'd like to come to this, but is it on the 2nd or the 3rd?

Edit: I'll even try to remember to bring some cookies.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:53 pm

It is on Saturday, the 3rd.

gerald

Post by gerald » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:23 pm

meng wrote:I'll even try to remember to bring some cookies.
That could be a good idea to make amends with The Others... Bring our own (and more succulent) cookies and share them with the Bridge group. This way they'll be happier with us, and we won't have to remember what not to eat...

We could also offer noise-cancelling headphones, but I'm not sure they'd appreciate!?! :D

redturtle

Post by redturtle » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:06 am

I can understand that the noise level is an issue and maybe this comment in unhelpful but...

for me part of gaming is the ability to laugh and holler when something in the games happens that is really amazing. To keep the noise down does require a lot of reminding for me as it often just comes out as part of the sheer enjoyment of playing boardgames.

Maybe I need to bring some gaffer tape for my big mouth.
Get a grip!

melissa

Post by melissa » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:19 pm

There's plenty of space to laugh and holler after ?4.30? when Bridge finishes.

The noise levels last time were annoying people in the same room (raises hand), so I really don't blame the Bridge players for being annoyed. It really is an environment where you can hear the proverbial pin drop - on carpet, what's more.

I agree about the list of rules though - that would be handy, and would show the Bridge people that Something is Being Done.

Also, do not recommend bringing nice biscuits. They would disappear. Fast. :?

Fraser

Re: EGF Jan. 2nd Warning!

Post by Fraser » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:04 am

Mr Skeletor wrote:
intheclear wrote: Finally, please don't eat their biscuits. It may seem minor but it's really annoying them and we need them more than they need us.
Does that include after they have left? Like are they leaving their buscuts out for next week or something?
Yes they do leave their biscuits out for the next day/session.
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:10 am

redturtle wrote:I can understand that the noise level is an issue and maybe this comment in unhelpful but...

for me part of gaming is the ability to laugh and holler when something in the games happens that is really amazing. To keep the noise down does require a lot of reminding for me as it often just comes out as part of the sheer enjoyment of playing boardgames.
Understandable, but if the noise continues whilst the bridge club (and let's remember it is their venue) session is running EFG will need to find a new venue and off the top of my head I can't think of another convenient one.

I agree that some games can get loud. They should not be played until to the bridge club people have left.

Back in the pre-children days I used to play bridge at that venue and as a bridge player I can say that normal conversational level talking in that separate room was annoying for the people in the main room.

The level of noise last EGF hit shouting a number of times, I can see why the bridge people are pissed off. They are bringing in probably at least six times as much money from the Saturday bridge players than they are from EGF, so guess who is going to lose out?

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:26 am

melissa wrote: Also, do not recommend bringing nice biscuits. They would disappear. Fast. :?
We should set aside $20 from our collection money and buy the bridge players nice biscuits. That is one way to say "I'm sorry" in a nice way, and buy some of their sympathy back.

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:12 am

melissa wrote:There's plenty of space to laugh and holler after ?4.30? when Bridge finishes.

The noise levels last time were annoying people in the same room (raises hand), so I really don't blame the Bridge players for being annoyed. It really is an environment where you can hear the proverbial pin drop - on carpet, what's more.

I agree about the list of rules though - that would be handy, and would show the Bridge people that Something is Being Done.

Whoa.

Touchy.

Hard to get away from noise when you're playing games (especially with me). I admit I'm guilty of making a lot of noise when I'm having fun...I mean, playing games.

How can you not yell with glee when you're rolling dice for a big Hannibal smackdown in C&C Ancients? Or when you're trying to discuss the best options to kill Wu Feng...and then a string of ghosts sppear across the board, overwhelming the heroes on the last turn???

1) Will try to keep noise down next time I'm there. But really, we're a SMALL room filled with 15-20 BOARDgamers.

Bridge unfortunately requires quietness to aid concentration. But there's no really getting away from gamers making noise.

2) Eating their biscuits. Oh well, as this wasn't made clear before, I'm sure some people have taken liberties with openly exposed biscuits!

Now that this is clear, I'm sure it won't be an issue...especially if we reiterate 'rules' to players who rock up on EGF day!

A thought:

1) While the location is great (and cheap), might it be possible for us to start looking for alternate locations just in case we get booted out?

NABers, are we able to get the two conference rooms for Sat?

Anyone else have lead to locations? I might have a lead on a location in the city where there's plenty of space, a kitchen and no noise rules to keep in check. I can check it out.

2) Let's have a designated tin shaker as well as rules-reminder person each EGF session. Happy to take on this task if I'm there.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:25 am

I'm with Shawn and Redturtle. Being loud is part of boardgaming.

The venue is getting very crowded too, at least while the bridge crew is there. Maybe it is time to look for an alternative venue.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:48 am

shawn_low wrote:
melissa wrote:There's plenty of space to laugh and holler after ?4.30? when Bridge finishes.

Whoa.

Touchy.
No, I would just call it accurate :lol:
shawn_low wrote:Hard to get away from noise when you're playing games (especially with me). I admit I'm guilty of making a lot of noise when I'm having fun...I mean, playing games.

How can you not yell with glee when you're rolling dice for a big Hannibal smackdown in C&C Ancients? Or when you're trying to discuss the best options to kill Wu Feng...and then a string of ghosts sppear across the board, overwhelming the heroes on the last turn???

1) Will try to keep noise down next time I'm there. But really, we're a SMALL room filled with 15-20 BOARDgamers.

Bridge unfortunately requires quietness to aid concentration. But there's no really getting away from gamers making noise.
Then realistically we need an alternate venue, because the current venue is the Bridge Club venue and we play there at their pleasure (and small cash payment).
shawn_low wrote:2) Eating their biscuits. Oh well, as this wasn't made clear before, I'm sure some people have taken liberties with openly exposed biscuits!

Now that this is clear, I'm sure it won't be an issue...especially if we reiterate 'rules' to players who rock up on EGF day!
Actually it has a few times - David you evidently need to distribute these informational updates in writing both here and at the venue, as they seem to be only getting through to the people who are there at the time you make an announcement. Shawn usually arrives latish in the afternoon and hadn't heard about the biscuits. There are bound to be others who haven't heard.

Notices on the door and/or whiteboard would probably be a start.
shawn_low wrote:1) While the location is great (and cheap), might it be possible for us to start looking for alternate locations just in case we get booted out?

NABers, are we able to get the two conference rooms for Sat?

Anyone else have lead to locations? I might have a lead on a location in the city where there's plenty of space, a kitchen and no noise rules to keep in check. I can check it out.
Personally I think it would be a shame to lose this location, it is handy for us both to get to and for babysitting drop off. It also has reasonable parking options which most city or close to city venues do not.

Unfortunately NAB is not available on the weekends, the building is in secure mode after 7:00 pm week days.
shawn_low wrote:2) Let's have a designated tin shaker as well as rules-reminder person each EGF session. Happy to take on this task if I'm there.

Good idea. Actually the tin should just be carried around prior to 4:30, leave the shaking until after 4:30 8)

gerald

Post by gerald » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:28 am

Fraser wrote:
shawn_low wrote:Eating their biscuits.
Notices on the door and/or whiteboard would probably be a start.
Even better: Just write "These biscuits are for bridge club members only" in big letters on a paper right next to the Forbidden Biscuits. This way it can't be missed.

I probably wouldn't read a (possibly-long) notice on the door, and I don't remember seeing a whiteboard, so I probably wouldn't read what's on it either! :oops: