EGF Game Group Organising on the day

Held at Wadham House, Mount Waverley, first and third Sunday of every month.
elCaptain

EGF Game Group Organising on the day

Post by elCaptain » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:11 pm

Hey all,

At EGF July 5th, I noticed that alot of the time there were several people standing around waiting for games to end/start. We also had a situation with people missing out on games that they wanted to play, which in our case was Betrayal at House on the Hill, although i can't remember the name of the lady who was unfortunately left out.

I was wondering, has anything ever been done to organise game groups on the day, other than approaching strangers and saying "Hey, you're not doing anything... wanna play X?'

I was thinking about maybe using the whiteboard in the room, where players can list the games that they definitely want to play. If anyone else wants to play the game, they could add their name on the list under that game, so everyone would know who wants to play what.

What do you guys think about trying this out next EGF? I think it would also be helpful for new people to meet people who enjoy the same games, (and hopefully to help them remember their names!)

Has this been done before? Is it worth a shot?

elCaptain
aka
Daniel

brett

Post by brett » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:47 pm

Wouldn't you also then need to organise time slots to avoid instances where people want to play multiple games but when one game is about to start up, some people can't join in because they are playing something else they wanted? You end up with the same situation you are describing.

I personally prefer the ad hoc nature of the day. I get to sit down and play games I had never considered playing before, as well as with people I've never met before. Keeps everything interesting.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:55 pm

Or do it like me - pick the game *you* want to play and con/bribe/trick everyone else into playing the game with you. :lol:

BenQ

Post by BenQ » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:04 pm

As someone who just started actively playing games in clubs this year I have noticed that you have to be bold and introduce yourself when you come to either EGF or Dockers for the first time.

This works, however in being a good host we can, increase communication, banter and fun for the newbies.

I would like to see people at these venues who are regulars keep an eye out for the newbie and make sure that they are welcomed appropriately and have a good time, the first time and even subsequent times, and doing their utmost to make sure they play the game/s they are interested in.

Informal or formal protocols for getting into games should be explained as well.

It may be worth assigning this task to an individual or two for each session. I.E. Newbie watch.

What do you guys think?

meily

Post by meily » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:32 pm

Hehehe, I'm not sure if I'm the 'lady' in question here.
I was left out from Betrayal, but then that was because I was late.
I was dying to play the game because Brett had been hyping about the game from playing it at CheeCon.

We ended up borrowing the game from Chee. And yes, love the game!!!!
We had a great scenario. Brett was the traitor where he was dropping creepers everywhere which grabbed hold of us, luckily we always managed to get ourselves out on the next turn. Brett is not telling us what's going to happen if we can't get outselves out from the grab.
We were lucky the little girl had a revolver which she used to shoot the traitor from a distance, since the traitor had a bloody dagger. Viva La Heroes! :)

Oh, back to the topic, missing out on Betrayals last Saturday at EGF gave me a chance to play La Citta, which turned out to be a great game. If it had not been from missing out from Betrayals, I'd never have had the chance of playing it. So I guess the current ad hoc system works.

elCaptain

Post by elCaptain » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:35 pm

You could choose times to play games, if that would make things easier. That might be the case for larger games, but the way I imagine it working would be this:

Having a list of people who definitely want to play a specific game would help you to find fellow players. Even if the list is more than the game capacity, the chances are that some of the players will be busy when a majority are free/want to play.

Also, individuals who want to play something may notice that certain others in the same list will be finishing their games soon. Instead of not wanting to wait, and starting a long game that would cause them to miss their preferred game, they might be encouraged to sit aside for a short time until their fellow players are free.

Plus, obscure game players can let people know that they want to play something that probably wont be suggested by someone else...

kathy

Post by kathy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:48 pm

I'm quite happy with things the way they are, but then again I don't mind which game I play as long as there is not too much waiting around. :)

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:23 pm

I would like a board which lists games that you should not ask me to play, else I may get upset. Very upset.

annawid

Post by annawid » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:46 pm

Mr Skeletor wrote:I would like a board which lists games that you should not ask me to play, else I may get upset. Very upset.
Settlers Frank?

Or Agricola?

:p
Back and ready to game

kracken

Post by kracken » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:55 pm

BenQ wrote:As someone who just started actively playing games in clubs this year I have noticed that you have to be bold and introduce yourself when you come to either EGF or Dockers for the first time.

This works, however in being a good host we can, increase communication, banter and fun for the newbies.

I would like to see people at these venues who are regulars keep an eye out for the newbie and make sure that they are welcomed appropriately and have a good time, the first time and even subsequent times, and doing their utmost to make sure they play the game/s they are interested in.

Informal or formal protocols for getting into games should be explained as well.

It may be worth assigning this task to an individual or two for each session. I.E. Newbie watch.

What do you guys think?
Following on from this point by BenQ, I'd also like to share my thoughts. Last Saturday was the first time my wife and me joined in the group, and it was the first time we gamed since moving here. I do think that joining the group seems a little intimidating.

Now, I felt perfectly at home, because I've been to game groups before, and I have no problem just asking to join in a game. That's how my old game group worked, and I've been going to that for about two years.

But I definitely could feel that my wife was feeling a little wary by the whole thing. She's a novice gamer, and has only played games with our closest friends. Had I not been there to initiate a game, I think she would have just walked back out the door, which would have been a real shame.

I'm not sure how keen she is about joining in anymore, but I do think it'll be nice if newbies were much more warmly welcomed.

In all fairness, I had an excellent time and met some lovely people at the two games I played. But as I said previously, I don't have any trouble jumping into any game at all.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:57 pm

It's a tricky problem. Some like being approached, some hate it, some just want to turn up and watch, some are waiting for another game, some will only play two specific games on the third Sunday of a leap year as long as it's not raining (hi Frankie!) and some are just tagging along with their partner. Personally I think if you start formalising things you risk losing the relaxed atmosphere and/or draining out the fun.

One idea would be to provide more information, even if it's just a pile of flyers or a sign *outside* the door. People would then know what to do when they actually walk into the room; This partially avoids the intimidating situation of them walking in to find 10 games in progress and not knowing if they're welcome. Something as simple as "Feel free to come in and watch, or join a game!"

Oh and make David wear a fluorescent vest. :D

kracken

Post by kracken » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:34 pm

I definitely agree that there shouldn't be any formal protocol or the like. That would surely detract from the relaxed atmosphere for the session.

But it would be nice for people to feel welcomed. And that could be easily done with someone coming up and saying 'Hi'.

A sign at the door with some information would be nice too. Something along the lines of letting people know to just jump into any game they see available, and not to be shy or intimidated.

intheclear

Post by intheclear » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:46 pm

kracken wrote:I definitely agree that there shouldn't be any formal protocol or the like. That would surely detract from the relaxed atmosphere for the session.

But it would be nice for people to feel welcomed. And that could be easily done with someone coming up and saying 'Hi'.

A sign at the door with some information would be nice too. Something along the lines of letting people know to just jump into any game they see available, and not to be shy or intimidated.

Unfortunately I have not been able to get along as early as I used to, but if I see a new face I generally try to make them feel welcome and get them started in a game as quick as possible, next EGf I will post the time of arrival, and I am happy to teach newbies a game, last week I arrived at 2pm and taught Felix the cat in the hat, and La Citta, I just started setting up the games and people just joined in. I will be more wary of this in the future. I usually read rules at home during the month of the game(s) I will play at the next event. Don't forget there is a library of games about 8 in total that are free to use, and you might need to start reading the rules till someone can help you, hopefully next time you have a better time, Cheers David.
learnthelanguageofboardgaming(GG,Avatar,T2r,AOS,Teuber,BGG,Ystari,M44,Faidutti,T&E,Spiele,RR,TI3,Robbirob.)

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:58 pm

Yeah, first time is pretty intimidating for newbies. I remember turning up and just wandering around like a lost lamb before being sucked into games I'd never heard of by gamers with shark-like grins.

However, after getting to know a few more people and learning the hard way never to play anything that christianmoura asks me to, I've learnt to be a bit more bold. I need to grab the box of a game i want to play, announce if anyone wants to play, and start setting up the moment at least one other person says yes. More players magically appear by that stage.

Had a great time last Sat. Can't make EGF as often as I'd like, but it's always a blast! So thanks for doing a great job, David!

annawid

Post by annawid » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Nearly posted 'Newbies.... yummmmmm' then remembered this is boardgaming and not werewolf :D
Back and ready to game