Angola

Held at Wadham House, Mount Waverley, first and third Sunday of every month.
cyhiew

Angola

Post by cyhiew » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:35 pm

We played three turns of Angola on Sat with Jeff, Paul and Christian. Final score at turn three was a draw at 19 for both alliances.

Once the mechanics are known, the game moves well without too much downtime. The full game is probably a full afternoon or evening game. It is fun game for two teams of two. Quite a lot of the sense of the Angolan civil conflict relected in the game.

A few clarifications to the rules whci we should remmenber for next time.

In set up, 0-4 units deplyed in cities in stead of 1-4 (in errata)

Captured or recpatured cities form opponents are face down the turn they are captured. They turn back face up at the very end of the turn (before placement of reinforcements)

Attackers in comabt always have one unit detached from column for straggling.

Only two airstrikes per combat even if more airgroups are commited (to absorb losses)

Airgroups are not secret (in errata)

Only one artilly unit may fire in combat and then gets suppressed automatically. Attackers fire first in Art fire (in errata). Note that the FAPLA rocket battery fires only ONCE per game TURN.

Two out of every four FNLA (green player) inf recruitments from Zaire must go to the FLEC base until Carbinda falls. Once in the FLEC base, they cannot move out till Carbinda falls.

When calulating variable reinforcments, do not include Luanda and Cabinda in the points.

Finally
When shall we play again? Anyone free for June 11th (Queen's Birthday)?
Dont Panic !

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:30 am

Angola was fun. I am very keen to play it again. It was frustrating to stop just before the commie africans could unleash cuban rocket artillery on the south africans.

There are many many good things about this game - the only bad are the very underwhelming production value of the game (as we discussed, someone with basic photoshop skills could easily re-design the map and counters to a much better quality than the ones in published version), but this is easily overlooked. Still, got my fingers crossed MMP can re-release this soon.

I can play on June 11.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:27 pm

I may be able to do June 11 but consider it tentative; I'm keen on giving this one a try.

jeff

Post by jeff » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:05 pm

count me in chee. I really liked that game and would buy a copy if they had any for sale. I had a look on the MMP site, but I didn't see anything about signing up for a re-release.

Can you bring the rules along on Thursday so I can get a copy to read before the weekend?

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:51 pm

Okay, I will photocopy a set of rules for everyone. Also check out the webpages for Angola in WebGrognards for some reviews and description of play.

Chee-Yan
Dont Panic !

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:22 am

jeff wrote:count me in chee. I really liked that game and would buy a copy if they had any for sale. I had a look on the MMP site, but I didn't see anything about signing up for a re-release.

Can you bring the rules along on Thursday so I can get a copy to read before the weekend?
Check out the Ragnar brothers site instead. That is where it is mentioned that MMP has shown an interest in the game.

http://www.ragnarbrothers.co.uk/html/angola13.htm
Dont Panic !