April 7 games day

Held at Wadham House, Mount Waverley, first and third Sunday of every month.
cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:29 pm

I can bring Eastfront and a whole set of bock games if people are interested.
Dont Panic !

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:29 pm

Europe Engulfed (1942 scenario), trust me on this, is a good block game for 3 players. Soviets, Axis and UK/USA player.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:44 pm

christianmoura wrote:Europe Engulfed (1942 scenario), trust me on this, is a good block game for 3 players. Soviets, Axis and UK/USA player.
Also played it a number of times with a 4th player controlling Italy and the Axis on the West front.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:03 pm

christianmoura wrote:Ben, I should clarify that I don't own Eastfront, and never have played it. But if you have a copy, and want to teach me, I'll lock in for a midday start.

I remember really liking an ASL scenario called Kurhaus Clash. Gavin Take and The Commissars House were other scenarios I played a lot of

But I would be happy to play any scenario.
I'm not sure I can teach Eastfront. lol Lets just play ASL then. I haven't played Kurhaus Clash, I would be happy to give that a go. Looks like a big infantry mash-up! I'll bring my gear.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:05 pm

christianmoura wrote:Europe Engulfed (1942 scenario), trust me on this, is a good block game for 3 players. Soviets, Axis and UK/USA player.
I would play EE but I need 3-4 days of prep time to get familiar with it again and do a solo run.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:09 pm

I feel a little guilty playing war games at EurogamesFest.

A question to the organisers; Do you guys have any problem with us not playing euros? If so, please speak-up.

intheclear

Post by intheclear » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:22 pm

Ill be there at 10.00, any war game is fine , as long as I'm not sitting on my own, like at home just reading rules. I thought you guys were just going through a phase?
learnthelanguageofboardgaming(GG,Avatar,T2r,AOS,Teuber,BGG,Ystari,M44,Faidutti,T&E,Spiele,RR,TI3,Robbirob.)

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:31 pm

I will be there from tennish to about 5 pm. I am off to the comedy festival in the evening. I will bring EE too if people want to try it out (and Pax Romana).
Dont Panic !

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:45 pm

intheclear wrote:Ill be there at 10.00, any war game is fine , as long as I'm not sitting on my own, like at home just reading rules. I thought you guys were just going through a phase?
I was going through a phase when I was playing Euros :lol:

gregor

Kingmaker

Post by gregor » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:28 pm

So what happened in Kingmaker after I left? Did it end on the next turn? Russell was poised for victory, I believe.

intheclear

Post by intheclear » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:14 pm

Russell won on next turn easy victory in the end and I sold game to Che for $30.00 never to be seen again, waisted for 5 hours of play on the the day but had to be done.
learnthelanguageofboardgaming(GG,Avatar,T2r,AOS,Teuber,BGG,Ystari,M44,Faidutti,T&E,Spiele,RR,TI3,Robbirob.)

gregor

Post by gregor » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:42 am

Yeah, I didn't really get the attraction of the game, either. But at least now we know, so next time someone asks if we're up for Kingmaker, we can politely decline the opportunity.
:?

Byzantium next time? And you'll be coming to ConVic, I hope? I'm dying to try Die Macher. Wonder if we could get a game of Dune going?

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:02 am

Which part of the 6.3 rating for Kingmaker did you guys miss? :D

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:12 am

intheclear wrote:Russell won on next turn easy victory in the end and I sold game to Che for $30.00 never to be seen again, waisted for 5 hours of play on the the day but had to be done.
Five hours?? I am sure we used to knock off the old Ariel edition in two-three hours tops unless one or more players were deliberately making the game go slow - which they certainly can do it they so choose.
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

gregor

Post by gregor » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:46 pm

I thought it was closer to 6, myself. But there was a rules explanation, and most of us had never played before. And it seemed that as soon as anyone got strong enough to do something decisive, they were killed of by the plague, or killed in battle, or relocated. Etc. And I think that a long game just gets longer as people lose focus, don't know when it's their turn and forget what it is they're trying to accomplish.

Re the rating-- I didn't really look at it. I take the ratings with large chunks of salt-- I think a high rating normally says more than a lower rating. Some of the lower ratings just mean people didn't understand the game or it didn't suit their group.

Well, I'm glad I got killed off by Russell. I was sort of hanging about in the area hoping that would happen.