EGF - Wadham House = 6 Months on

Held at Wadham House, Mount Waverley, first and third Sunday of every month.
MooseHead

EGF - Wadham House = 6 Months on

Postby MooseHead » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:26 pm

We are now entering 6 months at the new venue which has proved to be reasonably successful both in numbers and new faces, if anything, we have grown at the new venue.

By way of background, Wadham House is a community neighbourhood house used by some 35 different groups on a regular basis, some of which have been there for a number of years and with even more frequent use of the place than ourselves. Just as we have asked other users of Wadham House to be considerate of our needs with their Boom Boom computer music, so do we have to be considerate of other delicate little flowers who also share the space.

Today I was told of a mixup that has inadvertently occurred by the booking coordinator since Day 1. A long standing meditation group which meets twice weekly at the venue uses the space upstairs and one of those days is Sundays between 11am and 12:30pm. Their needs include a "quiet" space and ease of access to their allotted storage cupboard upstairs. From the perspective of the management committee, that space is upstairs as movements on floors upstairs are heard downstairs. Further to this, the Amiga Users group meets monthly downstairs on third Sunday from 2pm and with disabled members requires wheelchair access making upstairs out of the question for them. The second Sunday of each month also has a long standing user group who are booked in down stairs, with only 1st and 4th Sundays guaranteed downstairs clear for all our time requirements.

For the moment, the compromise to be tried for Sunday July 15th is as follows:
:arrow: Games will commence downstairs from 10am.
:arrow: Any games downstairs are to finish by 1:30pm.
:arrow: New games commenced after 12:30pm are played upstairs (after the meditation group) leaves
:arrow: All games complete by 6:00pm.
:arrow: No new games after 5:45pm.

Our options are these:
:?: Accept the compromise on 3rd Sunday's as outlined above with free reign downstairs on 1st Sunday, [or]
:?: 1st Sundays Downstairs (10am till 6pm), 3rd Sundays Upstairs (1pm till late) [or]
:?: Move to 1st & 4th Sundays of the Month, [or]
:?: Find a new venue, [or]
:?: Change day to Fortnightly Saturday similar to our Sunday arrangements.

If finding a new venue, the basic parameters are as follows (unchanged from previous):
:arrow: $40 at most per session covering room hire etc.;
:arrow: Reasonable timing;
:arrow: Storage available on site for club collection of games;
:arrow: Arrangements are for min of 12 months starting from agreed commencement date;
:arrow: 1st and 3rd Sunday of the Month except when other conventions clash;
:arrow: Food and Drink friendly preferred;
:arrow: Close to public transport;
:arrow: Keys, multiple copies if we open/close ourselves (preferred);
:arrow: Inner City, 5-10km from GPO to be equally accessible (preferred).

Local Scout halls, RSL clubs, Local government through a subsidised rate may all be possible.

= * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = * = *

Where to from here ?
The options presented above are the only ones available. If our dates do not change then the compromise is the only available option without changing venue. If you are proposing changing venue then please provide a venue alternative that you have researched addressing the guidelines above. The issues discussed above do not affect Sunday July 1st.

Many have expressed a wish to continue with current regular fortnightly scheduling on a Sunday.

It's up to you as it is your group and regular event. We can only be guided by your contributions. Either reply here or Private Message.

westgarthworldwide

Re: EGF - Wadham House = 6 Months on

Postby westgarthworldwide » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:30 pm

What's wrong with

:?: 1st Sundays Downstairs (10am till 6pm), 3rd Sundays Upstairs (1pm till late) [or]

Seems like the least problematic, just means a late start on the 3rd Sunday.
That would be my preference (for what it's worth) for the time being.
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

christianmoura

Postby christianmoura » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:35 pm

I haven't been to an EGF in 6 months, mostly due to the distance of the new venue. It is 20km from the CBD (Melbourne GPO). I appreciate that it has worked for a lot of people, and I assume some newcomers who live around the area have started attending.

I would encourage once more, if this is moved to a new venue, that it be 5-10km from the CBD, as noted above. I would start attending again, and bring new people too.

woiny

Postby woiny » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:41 pm

I am Will.
I prefer Second one " 1st Sundays Downstairs (10am till 6pm), 3rd Sundays Upstairs (1pm till late) "

cyhiew

Postby cyhiew » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:49 pm

For what it's worth, as I am not a regular as I used to be.

My preference is

1st Sundays Downstairs (10am till 6pm), 3rd Sundays Upstairs (1pm till late)

Easiest solution.

Cheers
Chee

PS any interested wargamers ?
Dont Panic !

christianmoura

Postby christianmoura » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:50 pm

cyhiew wrote:PS any interested wargamers ?

I'll try to come one day, I'll let you know in advance.

kathy

Postby kathy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 pm

1st and 3rd Saturday could be good.
If it was on 1st and 4th Sunday people may be more likely to come to just one rather than both being on 2 weeks in a row.
Or 1pm to late on both 1st and 3rd Sunday could work out.

Alae

Postby Alae » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:06 am

cyhiew wrote:
PS any interested wargamers ?

I am always interested in playing a Wargame Chee.

And in answer to the original question by Sol.

As someone who has been regularly attending my opinion is the following:
  • I'd be happy with switching the 3rd Sundays to 1pm till late and this would be my prefered option (I know a few people would be happier with a later start),
  • or changing to a different fortnightly day e.g Saturday as suggested,
  • or even switching venues if we are able to find one that meets all our needs.
Trying to come to some sort of retarded compromise that doesn't really work is only going to frustrate members (short term the compromise is fine).

I don't really see switching to 1st and 4th as a good option, but it's nice to have all options on the table. Perhaps creating some sort of a poll might help give a visual idea of the masses wants.

Return to “Euro Games Fest”