Kickstarter: Gods' Gambit

jing

Kickstarter: Gods' Gambit

Post by jing » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:57 pm

From the creator of Love letter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/46 ... ods-gambit

Sorry kinda new to this group buy thing, but just wondering if anyone else was interested in backing this game?

There seems to be a US$100 option for 6 packs which includes free shipping - works out to be roughly $18 AUD each

In terms of collection, I work around the Collingwood area and do attend the occasional game nights, but I'm happy for someone else who has done this before to handle the group buy thing if they were interested!

Edit:
I will be purchasing 2 copies (me+friend), so we only need another 4 for the group buy.
Last edited by jing on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smtih

Re: Kickstarter: Gods' Gambit

Post by Smtih » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:32 pm

I'm also interested and could do the group buy if we get to 6

SuperChutney

Post by SuperChutney » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:20 pm

I'm going to wait until they release an update with regards to rules (reportedly coming next week), but I'm keeping an eye on this one too.

Tangram11

Post by Tangram11 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Group buy sounds like an excellent idea for this one.

I'm in.

Cheers,
Stephen Farquhar

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:19 pm

+ 1. Thank you!

jing

Post by jing » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:45 am

So far we've got:

Jing: 2 copies
Smtih: 1 Copy
Tangram11: 1 Copy
Trev: 1 Copy

So that only leaves 1 copy available until we have 6 for the group buy.

Please note that the kickstarter delivery date is Jan 2015.. so there is a bit of a wait!

phantomwhale

Post by phantomwhale » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:49 am

I'll grab that last copy, if no-one else has already.

jing

Post by jing » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:31 pm

phantomwhale wrote:I'll grab that last copy, if no-one else has already.
Awesome, that's 6 copies, I will message everyone to confirm if they are still in!

jing

Post by jing » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:34 am

Still a spot available as someone is willing to give up their copy..

jing

Post by jing » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:46 am

update: sorry guys, unfortunately one person pulled out and we did not have enough for the 6 pack :(

phantomwhale

Post by phantomwhale » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:32 am

jing wrote:update: sorry guys, unfortunately one person pulled out and we did not have enough for the 6 pack :(
Really ? I would have bought that extra copy, if that's what was required. I had no idea we didn't have enough pledgers...

I presumed from your previous post that someone was "willing to give up their copy" that they were still in the pledge otherwise :(

jing

Post by jing » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:20 am

phantomwhale wrote:
jing wrote:update: sorry guys, unfortunately one person pulled out and we did not have enough for the 6 pack :(
Really ? I would have bought that extra copy, if that's what was required. I had no idea we didn't have enough pledgers...

I presumed from your previous post that someone was "willing to give up their copy" that they were still in the pledge otherwise :(
Unfortunately they specified they were no longer interested, and would still buy a copy if we didn't have enough.
I had not yet pledged at that stage so did not want to force them to purchase it as they were no longer interested, should have worded it better sorry.

Tangram11

Post by Tangram11 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Does this mean I didn't get a copy?

I would have bought 2 of them to keep the 6 pack alive because it would have been cheaper than buying 1 of them as an individual backer.

jing

Post by jing » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks for giving me negative karma when I was the one that organise it. I was obviously interested in this KS and was going to back 2 copies out of 6.
It wasn't my fault there wasn't enough interest and one of the forum members decided they wanted to pull out.

I also mentioned it was my first time organising and did not know the etiquette and was happy for someone else to take over.

good to know this forum is full of hot headed people that blame other people for trying to organise something.

phantomwhale

Post by phantomwhale » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:15 pm

Sorry that it's been a sour experience for you this time.

The expectation for these group buys (in my opinion) is that once we've reached the required number of people, that the group purchase WILL go ahead unless there is some message to say otherwise - ideally with a day or two's notice before the pledge closes. People may have cancelled individual pledges, so a clear message needs to go out if the pledge isn't going to happen after all, in plenty of time beforehand, as they may wish to revert back to individual pledges, or take on organization themselves and try and get more interested parties.

Equally good etiquette should require anyone who says they are in for a pledged item is COMMITTED - so any change of mind after that becomes the individual's responsibility to pass on their copy. In this case, I would have expected a forum reply from them saying "actually, I'm out, who wants to take over my slot ?" - at which point it seems clear a couple of us would have gladly picked up the extra copies to ensure the group buy happened.

I was obviously grateful that you put your hand up to organise this pledge, especially with an anonymous bunch of people on the forum. But getting no clear indication that the pledge was cancelled until after the close date left no option for the rest of us to make our own arrangements, which means we are actually in a worse position for getting a copy of this game (e.g. no pledge at all) as a result, so it's understandable people are a bit annoyed about that. I don't think this is a "group buy" etiquette issue, but more a communication responsibility that comes with organization.

Anyway, that's my take. A bit disappointed not to get my copy, but it was a simple communication error, so I've moved past it already. Hope this experience doesn't put you off the Melbourne Gamers forums, lots of good people (who've all been here far longer than I - I'm just a newcomer myself) and chat.