Expedition: Famous Explorers - Kickstarter

Foozle

Expedition: Famous Explorers - Kickstarter

Post by Foozle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for four more people to go in on EXPEDITION: FAMOUS EXPLORERS (Kickstarter) (BGG)

We can get 5 copies to Australia for U$60 each ($210 pledge + $90 shipping). A single copy otherwise is U$90 ($50 + $40 shipping).

This is an older Kramer game - and very enjoyable to play.

Note: A further $15 per copy will add plastic miniatures to use instead of flat disks to mark Destinations.

Details of the Pledge level below:
Pledge $210 or more
GROUP LEVEL - Receive 5 copies of the base game, and Kickstarter rewards. Add $10 for each set of Card Sleeves you'd like. Also once UNLOCKED, you may add $15 for a set of miniatures... or any number of sets for $15 each. You may add $40 for each additional copy of the game above 5. INTERNATIONAL add $90 for shipping of 5 copies. Estimated delivery: Dec 2013.

If you want to join in please let me know - also if you want spend the extra U$15 for the plastic figures or/also U$10 for card sleeves.

Rgds, David Foo
Foozle

Unhalfbricking

Re: Expedition: Famous Explorers - Kickstarter

Post by Unhalfbricking » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:09 am

I was a bit confused by the new cards & components in this one, but the kickstarter page says "The Core Rules in our edition of Expedition have not changed from previous versions, but there are minor discrepancies in the rules between older editions of Expedition. We've made clarifications in our rules." This is good as we all swear the rules we use are the right ones!

I assume this means that it is possible to play this game as it was originally intended. However they are including "improvements" of special ability cards. In my experience this kind of tinkering usually kills a great game. However, their commitment to keeping it playing as the original (if I understood it correctly) if desired makes it worth while.

For comparison, I can get second hand copies (in German) at Essen & the 2 I brought back last year were $40 & $50, so $60 seems a good price to me.

It's a sensational game which has been dying for a reprint. If you want to try out the original, let me know & I'll bring it to a games session sometime.

Foozle

Post by Foozle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:12 pm

I've had a closer look at it. The Kickstarter presentation hasn't impressed me and the poor planning they put into it so they changed the Goals and included items (even though it got better) has just been confusing. I've pulled out of the Kickstarter.

Unhalfbricking

Post by Unhalfbricking » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:15 pm

I've corresponded with the publisher & was equally unimpressed. I'll wait for Essen I think.

Foozle

Post by Foozle » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi Julian,
I'm not sure how a Kickstarter Campaign can sell this game to the public The lister has been blaming poor publicity by Kickstarter! I think that a lack of release of the Extended rules and not getting any reviewer to look at it has been mistakes made by him. There has been poor release of art - and what I have seen has been awful - and then they have scrunched it up small to fill the cards with tiny text - appalling design. The fact that they have also covered the board with "explorers" is also a turn off to playing the original game as well. I guess that I'm more a wondrous sites kind of guy rather than famous people follower. I very much doubt that I would even want the board game at all now. A very disappointing end to my initial hope of getting a great release of this excellent game.