Lost Valley 2nd Ed + Expansion (Kickstarter)

KonradwithaK

Re: Lost Valley 2nd Ed + Expansion (Kickstarter)

Post by KonradwithaK » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:29 pm

(but it has been a learning experience)...
Keep in mind, that's what they said for themselves. Not sure what they learned, though.
NB: I am still confident .... But this slow dribble of seemingly fatuous update is irritating out of all proportion.
You said it!

ludo

Post by ludo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:02 pm

Oh, the latest update (wait for it, this is spectacular) is that :
(a) there are some ambiguities in the final rules, so there will be errata
(b) some of the cardboard pieces have not been die-cut (at all, it seems)
(c) two of the pieces are misprinted

Now, calmly now - put down the knife; allegedly there are fixes proposed that go beyond (i) emailed rules clarifications, (ii) "cut the tiles apart with a Stanley knife" (paraphrase, but - yep, that's the gist), (iii) paste-ups.

I have just gone and got Tammanay Hall, looked at all the pieces and the rulebook, and consoled myself with the thought that Pandasaurus do good work but take forever and spout bullshit while we while away our time trying to guess what's really happening.

So, I think he probably will fix these latest errors, and we will likely be happy. Eventually. It may take months, during which time I suppose we will make do. But it begs the question: after all these delays, endless fiddling about and infuriating "updates" that tell us all the deckchairs have new canvas... WHAT THE F### HAS HE BEEN DOING?

This latest update also mentions that some folks in the US have their copies already. I nearly bit a coffee cup when I read that.
KonradwithaK wrote: Keep in mind, that's what they said for themselves. Not sure what they learned, though.
The possibilities are endless.

It is possible to play a dangerous drinking game when reading the updates... Sip a beer whenever he enthuses about the artwork, sip a shot whenever he mentions add-ons, drink a beer if he discusses shipping for the USA without info for the rest of us, drink a shot if he talks about customs, and sink a boilermaker if the printers come up. By the time he drops (another) bombshell about delays you are too plastered to care....
When the going gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro

ludo

Post by ludo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Moss grows on a fallen tree...

The inexorable pressure of a glacier moves mountains...

A yellow-dwarf steadily converts hydrogen to helium for billions of years...

International copies might be mailed this week.

ludo

Post by ludo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:24 pm

6 weeks later...

I have been sent a USPS shipping number.

Here is the tracking link: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmA ... 29555823US

As of "now", the package has not been lodged with the American postal system - The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on August 3, 2014 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if/when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:00 pm

:smt031
Well, well, everyone. According to the latest USPS tracking advice (see link in Rob's previous comment), Lost Valley has finally arrived in Australia and should presumably be in Milsims hands very soon (today?)!
Hooray!
:smt038 Have fun :smt026

ludo

Post by ludo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:41 am

If it shows-up at Milsims before I get the copies I kickstarted... that will be quite aggravating. As far as I am aware, KS copies are meant to arrive before retail release. :wall:

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:27 am

Sorry, Rob, I'm assuming that Milsims will be receiving all the KS orders, then sending them out to backers (as with other KSs I know of). Better yet if they come straight to the backers. Please, no more wall damage.

ludo

Post by ludo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:04 pm

I've done ~ 20 KS, and none of them have worked that way. It has been tried (Glory to Rome, bloody hell) but the Australian market is generally too spread out.

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:37 am

Then it's my misunderstanding/mistake. :oops: Thanks for clarifying, Rob.

phantomwhale

Post by phantomwhale » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:58 pm

In fairness, Fleet Kickstarter was redistributed by Milsims, so there is an existing precedent for this.

ludo

Post by ludo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:31 pm

It turned up!

But...

Amazon mailed it in a plain cardboard box with absolutely no padding, so I am relieved that damage is minimal - one copy has a slightly dinged corner.

:(

Based on Pandasaurus' previous efforts I hoped for a quality product. Somehow receiving a slightly damaged copy seems like a predictable outcome. I have not opened the game yet (just walked in the door and have to go out again). With luck the box can be repaired with gentle application of steam and some clamps.

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:55 am

I repeat, :smt026
Box arrived Tuesday, and in spite of lack of padding, games safe with no bumps or bingles - sorry to hear about yours, Rob. Is it mendable?
However, no KS wooden horses or canoes, about the only thing distinguishing the game from the retail version now. Did anyone else get these?
Everything else is good and it's ready to get to the table. Time to go exploring!

ludo

Post by ludo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:11 pm

On closer inspection, one copy has a dinged corner, the other has a dinged boxlid. I opened the one with the dinged lid: the rulebook is creased.

You have GOT to be kidding =D>

They have included the errata sheet and replacement tiles, also the hunting dice and the iceblock (which is just a white painted wooden cube...). But no canoes or horses here either.

If you go all the way back to 14th April in the KS comments thread, it seems this is a "known issue". US backers were told to email news@pandasaurusgames.com - so I suppose that's what we do too. Pandasaurus are back from Gencon, so I presume they will acknowledge the email reasonably promptly.

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:35 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the rulebook - there is another version + FAQ that can be downloaded at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/1 ... d-file-siz. I printed this out, and when I compared it to the 'new' rules, found more changes than just p. 4. Minor ones in some cases, but clarifying for sure.
Perhaps that's what they meant in one of the forum replies in mid-April, and also in update #36, when they said they would provide not only the errata sheet, but a) a reprint of the rulebook, and b) a sticker sheet to paste into the provided book. And no word about these since. If you want a full list of the other changes I found, tell me, and I'll PM you.

But I have asked Rachel to enquire about the wooden bits (she was the backer for this) so we'll see how they respond. Maybe you can get the reprinted rbook, too. Good luck.

On the plus side, I played it yesterday (3P) and everything worked, nothing fell over. :)