9th October - Successors

Dockers meets in the NAB building at Melbourne Docklands every Thursday night.
christianmoura

Re: anyone know how to play Conflict of Heroes?

Post by christianmoura » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:08 am

Reggy wrote:I'm bringing it tonight but will probably just spend the night learning it.
You are bringing Successors? I've got my copy anyway, and am going to be teaching whomever wants to play. Are you interested?

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:50 pm

I think Reg is referring to Conflict of Heroes.

I'm free tonight after-all so I can take Shawn's place in Successors.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:09 pm

bsmith wrote:I think Reg is referring to Conflict of Heroes.

I'm free tonight after-all so I can take Shawn's place in Successors.
Sweet, so the line up is:

Christian
Ryan
Ben
Alpha

I'll be there at 6pm.

Also curious to have a look at the mega-hyped must-have game of the fortnight, CoH.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:29 pm

christianmoura wrote:Also curious to have a look at the mega-hyped must-have game of the fortnight, CoH.
Yes the Agricola of wargaming; Cures cancer, saves the whales!

Imago

Post by Imago » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:17 pm

So you're coming after all Ben!! :evil:

You bringing ASL?

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:19 pm

ASL takes ~4 hours so I doubt there will be time to get a game in. And I have to spend an hour organising my gear. haha

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:07 pm

How was successors?

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:20 pm

shawn_low wrote:How was successors?
I am very partial to wargames. Specially multi-player wargames. Even more so multi-player card driven wargames. This is quite a niche, as there really aren't that many games out there with all these characteristics. Sword of Rome, The Napoleonic Wars, Here I Stand and you can also add Angola to the list, because, well, it does have cards. Clash of Monarchs has come out, and it is very high on my want-to-play list whenever we set aside 2 weekends to give it a try.

You could argue which of the above games is better overall, I can't quite say myself, but for ease of play, nice balance of chaos and fun, Successors succeeds superbly. Ryan hadn't played before, neither had Alpha. I think both commented on how quick the game goes after you understand how it works. It doesn't take much to teach it, and you don't have to be consulting the rules every second turn to check things. Ben might disagree though, I think he feels a bit lost in these free-for-all multiplayer wargames, specially one where the setup is so variable (you randomly decide starting generals with their starting provinces), factor in the multiple winning conditions, each game is unique. Ben did complain that not knowing the rules left him at a disadvantage, but Ryan on the other hand came very close to winning despite complaining at the start that I was glossing over minor rule details he wasn't aware of. It's just my style of teaching - I don't think people will benefit from everything being explained before the game starts - details should be brought up as they come along, you learn as you go.

The game took around 3h to finish, ending on the fourth and penultimate turn. Most games I've played don't go for that long, which is why I think Successors has the advantage of the other games I mentioned above - it can be played easily in one evening. I know Ryan liked the game, he did say so, probably because he likes these style of games for the same reasons I do. Multiplayer mayhem with plenty of historical atmosphere. Ben has played the game a few times recently, so he might be warming up to the whole multiplayer balancing on the edge of the razor thing. He even said he wants to give Diplomacy a go. As for Alpha, I've got no idea what he thought of the game - his choice of games is often as alien as his tactical reasoning and planning ;)

As for the game itself, it was an exciting affair with Alpha, the Usurper, getting of to a great head start consolidating Egypt and the Middle East and holding Macedonia. Provinces which are worth a bunch of VPs, as well as giving him mastery of the seas and the largest fleet for bonus VPs. He came close to auto victory at the start of turn 2, but he had Antipater killed by my combined forces leaving Europe open to my faction, and also being defeated again in the south, for a dramatic shift downwards in VPs. That basically left me to knock out Ben and Ryan from Asia Minor with my combined generals, foreshadowing Napoleon by quick pre-emptive knockout blows before the opposition could organise themselves and concentrate against me. Ryan was unfortunate to be caught by surprise and handing over two royal heirs on defeat - if he had fallen back to his far eastern domains he could have probably won on a combined VP and Legitimacy count by crowning a heir.

Ben meanwhile had some arcane plan that eluded all of us, I know he was busy also in the far east, and took some of Egypt from Alpha, but wasn't around to try to confront me in time when I managed to get the VPs I needed for the auto win by consolidating most of Europe and all of Asia Minor. ;)

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:46 pm

Executive Summary: I lined them up like bowling pins and trashed them so bad that their own mothers couldn't recognise them.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:12 pm

Ben meanwhile had some arcane plan that eluded all of us
I was attempting a Legitimacy sudden-death. I was trying to get within 2 spaces of Ryan's leader so I could steal King-whoever then go and get Alexander's body. It all turned to tears when you stole Philip III from me haha The card I was trying to use to get hold of King-whoever was an event, so I needed to make sure Ryan didn't move his leader on his turn; Near impossible!

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:10 pm

I liked the game, would love to play it again. Four player is best. Christian did well to earn the victory.

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:11 pm

New metagame rule for Successors. "Always watch out for Christian" he has won all the games I have seen him play so far :-)

Count me in for the next game.
Dont Panic !

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:35 pm

I think I've got a better scope of the game now that I've seen it played out in it's entirety. I feel confidant that I could give Christian a run for his money in the next game. (Aided as I will be by Chee's new Metagame rule for Successors.) ;)

There's a definite need to play to one's strengths in this game, and as I painfully found out, discretion can sometimes be the better part of valor.

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:14 pm

Sounds like a fantastic game! Can't wait to play it. 3 hours? Sure beats the 9 we took to finish Sword of Rome and Nappy Wars (if it goes beyond turn 3...).