Proposal to change venues

Dockers meets in the NAB building at Melbourne Docklands every Thursday night.
Stompy

Proposal to change venues

Postby Stompy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:20 pm

Paul D, Trev, Anton and I tonight went to see Games Laboratory and what they have to offer as a gaming venue.

The consensus among us was that it's great and quite a bit better than current facilities! The place is clean and tidy, good lighting, plenty of space and tables across three floors (if you include the bar space where you can play games also). Acoustics wise it didn't seem too noisy either.

I spoke to someone behind the counter and they said that there would be absolutely space to play for our group on Thursdays, and it was no problem for a group of our size to come along regularly. Occasionally there are events in the top floor space, but there are usually still seats there, and the middle floor has good seating also.

I asked about closing times and was told it's usually between 10:30 and 11pm (with the bar closing at 10:30. This is on a par with the current venue.

It's just around the corner from where we meet currently so commuting, and parking would be the same also (I recommend paying online and going to Wilsons Parking on Queen Street).

Who else would be up to try this place out next week?

prd1982

Re: Proposal to change venues

Postby prd1982 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Yea, based on my experiences so far at Good Games and Games Lab, I think Games Lab is as good or better than Good Games for Dockers in almost every relevant sense.

Shall we start meeting there regular as of Nov 13?
(Or, if some people are hesitant, should we meet at Games Lab for the rest of 2014 as a "trial period"?)

Trev

Postby Trev » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:27 pm

I am going to drink the Games Lab kool-aid next Thursday.

Trev

christianmoura

Postby christianmoura » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:13 pm

I can vouch for Games Lab - we play games there on an occasional Saturday. Place is good.

Lucky

Postby Lucky » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:08 pm

+1 for games lab, would definately make me want to attend more.

crikeythecat

Postby crikeythecat » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:41 am

I'm OK with Games Lab (sight unseen) if that's the consensus, but if it finishes at 10:30 I really would rather stick to current venue.
Can we confirm that closing time of 11pm - the website clearly says 10pm.
Current venue at least allows us to play to 11 - 11:15 without any dramas (although they initially told us midnight would be normal closing time).

30 minutes may seem picky, but we regularly hit 11pm at Good Games given the nature of the games we play.
Also I only get 1 night off a week to game, and the longer the better - therefore maximising game time is a massive factor for me.

Also, not everybody who attends Dockers checks these forums regularly.
Therefore either:
A) somebody volunteers to stick around Good Games until 7:30 to make sure everybody knows; or
B) we stick around Good Games for another week or 2, and let everybody know.

Personally I'd suggest B) and have at least another week or so at Good Games in order to ensure most of the regulars have had a chance to have an update (and a chance to voice opinion).

crikeythecat

Postby crikeythecat » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:43 am

I'll update the Dockers sticky with possible venue change as well.

crikeythecat

Postby crikeythecat » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:03 pm

OK All,

We (Stompy, Paul, Anton & I) went to Games Laboratory last night to give it a go.

We spoke to the venue manager last night about Thursday nights and their willingness for us to attend regularly. They were 100% supportive of us attending.

We discussed closing time (my #1 concern about this venue), and although listed on their website as closing at 10pm he said that they are nearly always open until at least 11pm on a Thursday night. Last night we were there until 11pm and there was no pushing us out the door - just a friendly reminder around 10:30 that they were closing at 11pm. We also discussed the bar downstairs & essentially they said that as they are actually licensed in the bar until midnight, they would always consider keeping it open if they had customers (ie. people buying drinks). Given our recently ended enjoyment of the crazy Korean Bar, if enough of us pop downstairs for a drink around 11pm we may be able to continue playing some casual games for a little longer - obviously this would need to be tested & they did say that they wouldn't keep the bar open if it wasn't going to be profitable in anyway (an incentive for us to perhaps grow our numbers?).

So - we walked away last night feeling really positive that Games Laboratory would give us the same amount of gaming time as Good Games.

So what of the venue in general?
Comparison (in my opinion) [DISCLAIMER: Have only tried Games Lab once]

Closing Time: Comparable. We probably need to test out Games Lab a bit more, but early signs are good.

Space: Games Lab by a reasonable margin. Probably twice the amount of tables, spaced out much more than Good Games. Games Lab is actually over 3 levels. Bottom level is a bar with couches and small tables. Middle Level is a shop with probably around half the tables of Good Games but much more spread out. Top Level is tables only.

Table & Chair Quality: Winner Games Lab. All chairs and tables on middle level and upper level fairly new - certainly uniform. Good Games does have some average furniture at times. Table size seems fairly similar, definitely more space around tables at Games Lab. Downstairs furniture at Games Lab (couches) not really conducive to Euro Games.

Lighting: Tie - both are pretty good. The bar at Games Lab is pretty dark though, so not really suitable for Euros.

Noise: Too close to call. Possibly down to personal opinion & in need of testing out. Good Games can be fairly noisy at times (ambient noise) with vocal RPGs and close proximity. Games Lab does have music playing - however the speaker is on one side of the room. Near the speaker is possibly distracting, away from the speaker you don't seem to be able to hear it. Upper level of Games Lab seemed a little noisy with Air Conditioning.

Facilities: Neither really. Why are Gamers a messy bunch? Winner probably Games Lab, at least it has 4 toilets & most of the facilities are newer.

Food & Drink: Games Lab has Beer, Good Games has ice-creams......aaaarrrrggghhh don't make me decide. Both have soft drinks and snacks.

Temperature: Games Lab may have the edge. It didn't appear as warm as Good Games (not that it ever bothered me). Games Lab air con appeared to be working.

CONCLUSION
I believe that we should proceed to trying out Games Laboratory as a base (even as a trial).
If it doesn't pan out, I presume we can easily switch back to Good Games.

So now to round up all the members & get a vote.
I will put out feelers and direct them here, however if we haven't heard back from everybody I think we should still continue to meet at Good Games until we feel we have let everybody know.

carlos

Postby carlos » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:45 pm

happy to give games lab a go, been there once on a saturday,air was fresher, and I'm worried over summer whether good games could handle hot weather, not fussed about finishing at 11, as takes me a while to get home.Not possible for everyone, but I suggest trying to start earlier, sometimes I get there 5:30.

anton

Postby anton » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm pro games lab. Better air, not as noisy, games to borrow and a bar outweighs the ice cream.

AndrewConway

Postby AndrewConway » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:19 am

The closing time is the most important thing to me. If that is not an issue I don't care either way.

carlos

Postby carlos » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:01 pm

OK I'm assuming that today still meeting at good games , and then possibly move en masse to Games Lab

crikeythecat

Postby crikeythecat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:57 pm

So we went to Games Lab on Thursday night, and whilst the venue is definitely very nice, that closing time is of concern.

Despite discussions last week, this week the staff were clearly keen for us to leave at 10:30. They didn't kick us out, but we did have a quick chat about their preference.

Additionally, we played on the top floor and at 10:00 they asked us to move downstairs - a fair enough request except that we were in the middle of a game and it was not a very easy game to pack up and move downstairs. Again, they were very patient and let us finish, however we felt a bit uncomfortable about it and finished up the game 1 round early. The lesson could be to simply play on the middle level, but that may not always be an option.

Personally I'd be pretty happy to stick it out at Good Games where they almost never close before 11pm.
I'm happy to try again for the next few weeks, but I am concerned.

wozzit

Postby wozzit » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:31 am

I am with you Adrian. I'd play in a garbage can if I get in 30 minutes more gaming

Though if there is no-one to share the can with I guess I will move

Stompy

Postby Stompy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:00 pm

For what its worth I wouldnt want to write the place off because of a single slightly negative experience.

We know the rules better now- gaming on the top level may close earlier if its quiet. So don't start anything up there that will be longer- play on the middle level.

At least give the place a decent chance!

The two times I've been there closed at 11pm.

Return to “Gamers@Dockers”