Alternative venue needed

Dockers meets in the NAB building at Melbourne Docklands every Thursday night.
westgarthworldwide

Re: Alternative venue needed

Post by westgarthworldwide » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:18 am

The main thing to watch out for with the library/hub is that they don't oblige us to incorporate and get insurance for the privilege of using public space.
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

crikeythecat

Post by crikeythecat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:54 pm

PMin wrote:Excellent, pretty much what I thought from my own brief experiences with you folks. (Not brief by my choosing, I might add - life circumstances and such. Some of which arise from my work pushing games in libraries so it's kinda paying off. 8) )

Obviously this next question is massively subject to final details and such, and I'm certainly not asking for any definite or binding decision, but as a hypothetical: if you were offered both 700 Bourke and the library on functionally equivalent terms, do you reckon you would have a preference? And I guess a related question - assuming it doesn't come with too much other baggage, would the library location be considered an inherent plus (because of greater visibility in an already-recreational context)?

I'm asking because I want to know the kinds of ways in which I should push for the library to support this sort of thing. The whole games in libraries thing still makes some library/Council folks a bit nervous so expectation management is key. (Which means no pressure to answer any particular way other than accurately representing what you think/want :) )

The other question I'll need to know about is whether there are guidelines about what sorts of games the group welcomes. My experience was of fairly strategic boardgames, mostly Eurogames. How would you react if someone rocked up wanting to play Monopoly, Snakes & Ladders, or Twister? (Has that ever happened?) What about Magic: the Gathering? What if a group turned up and wanted to play their game alongside your existing group, with no anxiety about someone missing out on the game they wanted to play? Again, no wrong answers, it's just a case of making sure I can be clear with people about what to expect.

Lastly, we've talked about what the library might want - what would you ideally want from a gaming space? Here's my presumed list:
  • Free or low cost
  • Convenience of venue - parking? bike parking? PT?
  • Level of visibility - high? Low? (Do you care either way about people seeing you gaming?)
  • Level of seclusion - high? Low? (Do you mind random walkups?)
  • Access to food/drink?
  • Pre-existing games collection? (I'm advising them on collections issues as well, and I'll be suggesting they set aside a tabletop games budget. That will obviously need to cover a range of tastes, but would this count in the venue's favour?)
  • Promotion of the event?
  • Other recreational opportunities in the venue? Would you like that you could borrow stuff on your way to the gaming session?
Again, this is all hypothetical and subject to change - from my side too, and I have no authority to speak for the library. So no promises... but maybe some interesting possibilities. Let me know your thoughts!
For the most part I agree with Stompy's response. Due to the change of venue, we have talked a fair bit as a group about what we like / don't like.
The general consensus seems to be:
- A small cost is OK, however as we meet weekly (one of few games groups who do) even a small cost can add up when paying weekly. NOTE: Most people sort of bundle the cost of parking/cost of venue into one when determining what they can afford.
- Access to parking is really imporatant (access to public transport fairly high in importance as well)
- The closing time is also very important. Some of the games we play can go for a long time (eg. 3 hours+). The most common complaint about our current venue is that is has a variable & early closing time. This means that we are often a) 'under pressure' to finish a game, or b) unsure of what game to start because we are unsure when it will close. Our venue at the NAB had no closing time and this was a really great 'relaxing' feature - it isn't fun to spend 2 hours playing a game and then rush the last turn just to finish it.

Regarding level of visibility, this is reasonably new territory for our group.
At NAB we were really limited to a maxiumum of around 20 people. At Good Games there are a lot more people and they are playing all sort of different games that our group doesnt normally play (minatures games, role playing, magic). There has only been a small amount of cross mingling however its fun to see what other people are playing - we have people come up to us wondering what we are playing and vise versa - and on the whole it doesnt seem like we are a distraction to each other in any way (although role playing might be slightly louder i suppose).

Personally I would love to see more and more people playing games, so the more the merrier. I really want the hobby to grow.
In relation to how we would react to somebody wanting to play monopoly. Well almost every one of us would gladly teach people how to play our games (ie. we would be welcoming & helpful) - its more a case that our members would probably not want to play monopoly with them, because most of us dont find games like that challenging/fun. If they want to play alongside our group it certainly wouldnt be a problem, I just wouldnt make any guarantees that we would join in their games. To be honest we would probably try and show them some of the other 'Family' games which are great fun like 'Dixit' or 'Ugg Tect' and 'For Sale'. There are plenty of games we play which are completely family friendly (sometimes some of our kids even come along).

Regarding games collections etc. At the momment everyone just brings along what they want to play and we are never short of games.
Building a collection of games at a library would be cool, however would probably only be of benefit (value for money) for a library if the gaming group was to grow in size.
So at this stage - certainly not a requirement for us in choosing a venue.

In terms of making a choice between venues, having a deal with a Library has some upside for sure.
Whilst NAB was brilliant, we were essentially at their mercy (ie. room availability - hence current relocation).
Being part of a library with an official event & advertising could have some great benefits in ensuring the health of our gaming group going forward.

BamH1

Post by BamH1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Hey Everyone!

Have been out of the gaming scene for a number of years since moving to Melbourne to study, but interested in getting back into it.

Met Fraser/Karlsen very briefly at Essen a number of years ago and see that you have moved venues from NAB since then.
Before moving, I ran a game group in Horsham with 20+ players meeting monthly. After I left though, it died :(

Anyway, planning to come along this Thursday for some GAMING!

Living in Melton and interested to know if there are any game groups out west that anyone knows of too.
Cheers, Jason.
--------
Sink Me!

crikeythecat

Post by crikeythecat » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:14 am

This one is in Werribee (close enough to Melton if you have a car)

http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-group- ... &_af=event

Unfortunately i wont be at Dockers this week.....but it will continue on without me :lol:

BamH1

Post by BamH1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Hey, thanks for the link. I put a couple of ones in my calendar from that meetup group.
--------
Sink Me!

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:44 pm

BamH1 wrote:Hey Everyone!

Have been out of the gaming scene for a number of years since moving to Melbourne to study, but interested in getting back into it.

Met Fraser/Karlsen very briefly at Essen a number of years ago and see that you have moved venues from NAB since then.
Before moving, I ran a game group in Horsham with 20+ players meeting monthly. After I left though, it died :(
Way back in 2009 that was!

Cheers,

Fraser
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:08 pm

Anyway, planning to come along this Thursday for some GAMING!
Living in Melton and interested to know if there are any game groups out west that anyone knows of too.
Hey Jason, welcome to the West. :smt006
I live in Point Cook, and am one of the organisers/coordinators of the Werbrary games.
I'll be coming to Dockers tonight, and look forward to meeting you.
Cheers

BamH1

Post by BamH1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:05 pm

Looks like I won't be coming as it will leave my gf walking home late from the station which I'm not comfortable with.
There was another club with a Wednesday meetup next week I think which may suit instead.
GLHF
Jase.
--------
Sink Me!

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:17 pm

No problem. Come to the library next weekend if you can, even just to check it out.
Cheers

BamH1

Post by BamH1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Just arranged to meet up with a friend in the city tomorrow night so I can come along to Dockers afterwards. He may tag along too. Any other likely late arrivals?
--------
Sink Me!