Page 3 of 6

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:41 am
by SuperChutney
I'll be coming along tonight to check it out. Are we still doing the normal Dockers times for arrival and everything?

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:28 am
by wozzit
I'll be there just after 6.

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:44 am
by AndrewConway
I'm coming tonight to GoodGames.

RE question of would people be willing to pay $5 for a good venue, sure.

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:13 pm
by KonradwithaK
I'll be coming tonight.

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:40 pm
by crikeythecat
SuperChutney wrote:I'll be coming along tonight to check it out. Are we still doing the normal Dockers times for arrival and everything?
Yes normal Dockers times should apply - ie. 6-7pm usually light/filler games, 7pm the good stuff.
However there is one distinct advantage of Good Games, in that if you turn up after 7pm you can get in without any dramas.

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:44 pm
by KonradwithaK
crikeythecat wrote:However there is one distinct advantage of Good Games, in that if you turn up after 7pm you can get in without any dramas.
It's also not an empty place if you get there early.

OK to get a lift home with you tonight, Adrian?

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:22 pm
by westgarthworldwide
I'll be there tonight from about 5.

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:27 pm
by crikeythecat
KonradwithaK wrote: OK to get a lift home with you tonight, Adrian?
yep - not a problem

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:35 am
by christianmoura
How was good games last night? Any interaction with the locals?

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:46 am
by KonradwithaK
christianmoura wrote:How was good games last night? Any interaction with the locals?
Interactions with locals: "Excuse me, can I squeeze through here, please" :oops: ; "I'll just take my bag off the table, thanks :| " ; "Sorry, my dance card is full ;) " (ok, not the last one)
There were about 16 Dockers there, including some who are newly working in the city and found GG to be a good location. It was quite a full place, and it appeared to me that game groups pretty much kept to themselves.

And we had to leave around 11.00, similar to last week I believe. Could have used some more time.

Crikey informed us there's a possibility of using a space at Crown Casino, much discussion ensued. No final decision made yet.

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:42 pm
by christianmoura
I ask about Good Games, as to me it is a more accessible location - in the CBD and closer to trams and trains. It would also be a bigger draw for me if a CBD location meant a more diverse crowd were attending (Good Game regulars for example), or simply more people. It would encourage me to attend 'Dockers' more frequently. I would have gone yesterday but I had something else on.

I do recognise though that while I used to go every week to Dockers without fail a few years ago, other groups (Cafe' Games and The Royal Standard) have mostly replaced Dockers as attending to my gaming needs, due to location and the number of people attending. I do respect though that it should be the current regular members of dockers should be making the decision of where they want to move the location to.

It has been suggested in the past, but if increasing the number of people that come to 'Dockers' is one of your goals, advertising it on meetup.com would bring you a lot more people. I know that Good Games has quite a few gaming related groups that advertise there (mostly RPGs and card games though), and that has drawn a lot more people to that venue. Not to mention the 100+ (!) people attending Cafe' Games this Saturday mostly due to meetup.com, and 80+ people going every fortnight to The Royal Standard.

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:19 pm
by westgarthworldwide
I did notice that people seemed to arrive at GGs earlier than they had been doing at the NAB. Perhaps if it suits people to start at 5 and finish about 11 it might be good for a few meetings.

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:29 am
by carlos
Yeah I don't mind 11pm finish, when playing I'm enthused and don't want to stop, but pay for it the next day.

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:31 am
by carlos
Yeah I don't mind 11pm finish, when playing I'm enthused and don't want to stop, but pay for it the next day.

Re: Alternative venue needed

Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:31 am
by crikeythecat
christianmoura wrote:It has been suggested in the past, but if increasing the number of people that come to 'Dockers' is one of your goals, advertising it on meetup.com would bring you a lot more people. I know that Good Games has quite a few gaming related groups that advertise there (mostly RPGs and card games though), and that has drawn a lot more people to that venue. Not to mention the 100+ (!) people attending Cafe' Games this Saturday mostly due to meetup.com, and 80+ people going every fortnight to The Royal Standard.
I guess this wasn't really an issue whilst at the NAB as it probably had a maximum capacity of about 30 people anyway.
Now that we are searching for a new venue, this may be an important consideration - even if viewed only from a financial point of view it may be required to have more people to split the costs of hiring a venue, or to secure a venue if venues want us to have a larger crowd to increase their potential income.