Alternative venue needed

Dockers meets in the NAB building at Melbourne Docklands every Thursday night.
Fraser

Re: Alternative venue needed

Postby Fraser » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Personally I reckon - "No"
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

Fraser

Postby Fraser » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:20 pm

So I just had a chat with one of the Staff at the current Staff Shop which is in the building that will be vacated later this year.

The move to 800 Bourke Street will be permanent, i.e. they are getting rid of the meeting rooms and turning it into the new Staff Shop.

I don't know what facilities will be available at the new building 700 Bourke Street since a) I haven't been there and b) I won't be working there.

crikeythecat

Postby crikeythecat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Fraser wrote:Personally I reckon - "No"

ditto - i dont think facebook would work as well as these forums
(and not everybody has a facebook account)

i can see the benefit in maybe having a facebook page that has event details/updates - but dont know enough about how facebook works.
Its probably more beneficial to utilise Meetup which is already being used for a few of the gaming groups (Royal Standard, Cafe Games) - but again i dont really know about how that works.

crikeythecat

Postby crikeythecat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Fraser wrote:So I just had a chat with one of the Staff at the current Staff Shop which is in the building that will be vacated later this year.

The move to 800 Bourke Street will be permanent, i.e. they are getting rid of the meeting rooms and turning it into the new Staff Shop.

I don't know what facilities will be available at the new building 700 Bourke Street since a) I haven't been there and b) I won't be working there.

Bummer - looks like the temporary change of venue will be permanent.

That said (especially now that we have an after hours back up plan for the sometimes early finishes) the current group meeting at Good Games is working out quite well. There have been a few new people turning up regulalry as well. :D

KonradwithaK

Postby KonradwithaK » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:33 pm

I'll be in tomorrow night, bringing Snowdonia, Carson City, and Last Train to Nuremberg again, + Tokaido. Any players?
Alternatively, I'd like to try Factory Manager, Cavum, and/or Steel Driver if anyone has them and is willing to teach.

urbaer

Postby urbaer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:11 pm

crikeythecat wrote:
Fraser wrote:Personally I reckon - "No"

ditto - i dont think facebook would work as well as these forums
(and not everybody has a facebook account)

i can see the benefit in maybe having a facebook page that has event details/updates - but dont know enough about how facebook works.
Its probably more beneficial to utilise Meetup which is already being used for a few of the gaming groups (Royal Standard, Cafe Games) - but again i dont really know about how that works.

Maybe speak to Ben (westgarth) about it.

westgarthworldwide

Postby westgarthworldwide » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:07 am

To use meet-up, it helps to be chummy with one of the group organisers (essentially subscribers who pay a small fee) to 'parent' you (this is what NSEG does). Once you are accepted into a group it's a simple matter to list an event - very similar to using the calendar here on the forum.

Our sponsor is Christopher, the organiser of the Cafe Games events, you could speak to him about it or email him via

http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-group- ... st_showBio
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

PMin

Postby PMin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:54 am

Hi folks,

I don't know if this is of interest, but the new Docklands Library and Community Centre is expected to open at the end of Bourke St (map on page 2 of this PDF, library location is #22) around March next year, and they are very interested in hosting gaming activities of all sorts. I'm consulting to them on the development of the library and had already mentioned that tabletop gaming groups might be looking for a new venue - a bunch of the policies around its use and support infrastructure details are still under discussion, but they were definitely interested.

The library itself wouldn't be open super-late, but they are open to the idea of having some of the spaces in use after the library is nominally closed. The plans for the building have three meeting rooms on the third floor which might be suitable - they are similar to the rooms I played at the time I joined you, in the NAB building I think - and there are also a few other largish spaces. I'm advocating that they get flexible, portable furniture to allow these open spaces to be used for tabletop activities (obviously including gaming) among other things, which might mean that there would be room for the game to grow.

I don't know at this stage whether there would be a price attached, but one possibility is that if a group was to use the space regularly and to agree to a bunch of basic stuff about accountability for how the space was used, welcoming people outside the group to join the activity, making sure the physical and social space felt safe for everyone, making sure that the event reliably happened, etc (none of which should be a problem from what I experienced) they might waive some or all of whatever charges applied. They would also include the regular event in their promotional material as one of the supported activities they made available to the community. The demographics for that area should see you getting a few walk-ins from that.

Does this sound like something that would interest you? Should I push for this to be an option in the strategy?

Fraser

Postby Fraser » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:12 pm

Rumour has it that the new 700 Bourke Street building will have rooms available as was previously the case at 800 Bourke Street.

I am not moving to the 700 Bourke Street building so can neither confirm or deny that rumour but Reggy is at some stage in the future, so he should be able to confirm this at some stage.

I imagine the 700 Bourke Street rooms, if they exist, would be similar to 800 Bourke, i.e. available until late and free.

crikeythecat

Postby crikeythecat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:40 pm

PMin wrote:Hi folks,

I don't know if this is of interest, but the new Docklands Library and Community Centre is expected to open at the end of Bourke St (map on page 2 of this PDF, library location is #22) around March next year, and they are very interested in hosting gaming activities of all sorts. I'm consulting to them on the development of the library and had already mentioned that tabletop gaming groups might be looking for a new venue - a bunch of the policies around its use and support infrastructure details are still under discussion, but they were definitely interested.

The library itself wouldn't be open super-late, but they are open to the idea of having some of the spaces in use after the library is nominally closed. The plans for the building have three meeting rooms on the third floor which might be suitable - they are similar to the rooms I played at the time I joined you, in the NAB building I think - and there are also a few other largish spaces. I'm advocating that they get flexible, portable furniture to allow these open spaces to be used for tabletop activities (obviously including gaming) among other things, which might mean that there would be room for the game to grow.

I don't know at this stage whether there would be a price attached, but one possibility is that if a group was to use the space regularly and to agree to a bunch of basic stuff about accountability for how the space was used, welcoming people outside the group to join the activity, making sure the physical and social space felt safe for everyone, making sure that the event reliably happened, etc (none of which should be a problem from what I experienced) they might waive some or all of whatever charges applied. They would also include the regular event in their promotional material as one of the supported activities they made available to the community. The demographics for that area should see you getting a few walk-ins from that.

Does this sound like something that would interest you? Should I push for this to be an option in the strategy?

- The location looks pretty good (ie. close to the original Dockers home).
- The possible price of $0 sounds good.
- If there is a requirement to be reliably held, that is definitely not an issue. It is every Thursday except public holidays. My BGG account can vouch for that as well.
- If there is a requirement to be neat, tidy, etc that isnt an issue either. We have never had a complaint from NAB.
- If there is a requirement to be welcoming, that would hardly be a problem. Our group survives by welcoming new people in.

crikeythecat

Postby crikeythecat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Fraser wrote:Rumour has it that the new 700 Bourke Street building will have rooms available as was previously the case at 800 Bourke Street.

I am not moving to the 700 Bourke Street building so can neither confirm or deny that rumour but Reggy is at some stage in the future, so he should be able to confirm this at some stage.

I imagine the 700 Bourke Street rooms, if they exist, would be similar to 800 Bourke, i.e. available until late and free.

sweet - if the rumour is true.

...and all of a sudden we have the possibility of 2 new venues (uncharted territory :D ) + Good Games dont seem to mind us having our games night there either.

PMin

Postby PMin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:06 pm

crikeythecat wrote:- The location looks pretty good (ie. close to the original Dockers home).
- The possible price of $0 sounds good.
- If there is a requirement to be reliably held, that is definitely not an issue. It is every Thursday except public holidays. My BGG account can vouch for that as well.
- If there is a requirement to be neat, tidy, etc that isnt an issue either. We have never had a complaint from NAB.
- If there is a requirement to be welcoming, that would hardly be a problem. Our group survives by welcoming new people in.

Excellent, pretty much what I thought from my own brief experiences with you folks. (Not brief by my choosing, I might add - life circumstances and such. Some of which arise from my work pushing games in libraries so it's kinda paying off. 8) )

Obviously this next question is massively subject to final details and such, and I'm certainly not asking for any definite or binding decision, but as a hypothetical: if you were offered both 700 Bourke and the library on functionally equivalent terms, do you reckon you would have a preference? And I guess a related question - assuming it doesn't come with too much other baggage, would the library location be considered an inherent plus (because of greater visibility in an already-recreational context)?

I'm asking because I want to know the kinds of ways in which I should push for the library to support this sort of thing. The whole games in libraries thing still makes some library/Council folks a bit nervous so expectation management is key. (Which means no pressure to answer any particular way other than accurately representing what you think/want :) )

The other question I'll need to know about is whether there are guidelines about what sorts of games the group welcomes. My experience was of fairly strategic boardgames, mostly Eurogames. How would you react if someone rocked up wanting to play Monopoly, Snakes & Ladders, or Twister? (Has that ever happened?) What about Magic: the Gathering? What if a group turned up and wanted to play their game alongside your existing group, with no anxiety about someone missing out on the game they wanted to play? Again, no wrong answers, it's just a case of making sure I can be clear with people about what to expect.

Lastly, we've talked about what the library might want - what would you ideally want from a gaming space? Here's my presumed list:
  • Free or low cost
  • Convenience of venue - parking? bike parking? PT?
  • Level of visibility - high? Low? (Do you care either way about people seeing you gaming?)
  • Level of seclusion - high? Low? (Do you mind random walkups?)
  • Access to food/drink?
  • Pre-existing games collection? (I'm advising them on collections issues as well, and I'll be suggesting they set aside a tabletop games budget. That will obviously need to cover a range of tastes, but would this count in the venue's favour?)
  • Promotion of the event?
  • Other recreational opportunities in the venue? Would you like that you could borrow stuff on your way to the gaming session?

Again, this is all hypothetical and subject to change - from my side too, and I have no authority to speak for the library. So no promises... but maybe some interesting possibilities. Let me know your thoughts!

Stompy

Postby Stompy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Thanks PMin,

Here's my opinion of where we stand as a gaming group.

In terms of the depth and type of games played - and time (day of the week) I think we fill a niche. There are other groups on different nights of the week or weekend that will suit other gamers better.

At Dockers we've see most types of games played (Euro/War/Ameritrash) that are generally more in depth than the more social games. That said there are easier ones played too, but they are usually a filler before something else.

I haven't seen are Party games (monopoly,Twister etc) , CCG's, and Miniatures like warhammer.

At the NAB we didn't have that much space so it may not have been attractive to many newcomers, or people trying other game types. Given more space I don't see why we wouldn't welcome other groups of people, however I think we'd want to keep the focus on board games.

This is what I'd like to see in a venue:
Clean
Good tables that can be rearranged if necessary
Free's good, but I don't mind a small fee if the venue/location's good
Parking for me personally is a priority
Good PT should also be available (I think docklands is a great location for both parking and PT)
Possible lockable storage - if the group grows/ becomes more established then a game library could be kept on-site

That's all I can think of now.

PMin

Postby PMin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Stompy wrote:Here's my opinion of where we stand as a gaming group.

Thanks Stompy, very useful. (I really appreciate the quick response from crikeythecat too, I should add, since I seem to have randomly forgotten to say so last time.) We have a little while before my submission is finalised, so please everyone feel free to keep discussing it, but it's good to know early on that I'm not going wildly off course.

Also, if there are other gaming groups you would particularly recommend I contact about this, point me at them. I'm starting with this group for obvious reasons, and I'll be working my way through these boards and various meetup groups, but better redundancy than omission. Geography is obviously a key issue, but I will also be talking to libraries in the City of Melbourne other than Docklands so it needn't be confined to Docklands only. I get quite a few non-drinkers to my Pub Werewolf nights, so I might consider starting up a Werewolf night in the library too.

wozzit

Postby wozzit » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:56 pm

The library sounds great to me - NAB was awesome too - but assume we'd have more facilities maybe in the library.

thanks for asking!
Dan

Return to “Gamers@Dockers”