Alternative venue needed

Dockers meets in the NAB building at Melbourne Docklands every Thursday night.
AndrewConway

Alternative venue needed

Post by AndrewConway » Wed May 08, 2013 10:58 am

It looks like we need to find a new venue quickly. Any ideas? I don't know the shop suggested - opinions?

From Greg:
It appears they are using all of those rooms as the staff shop for the forseeable future meaning no rooms at docklands. Once 700 bourke opens there may be options going forward. I spoke with the guys that run the magic card shop in commbank building on cnr bourke and eliz and they are open to gamers using the tables there.

TaleSpinner

Re: Alternative venue needed

Post by TaleSpinner » Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 am

FYI, Games Laboratory has shifted from the Commbank building at the cnr of Bourke and Eliz to the cnr of La Trobe and Eliz, across the road from Melbourne Central.

http://gameslaboratory.com.au/about

Stompy

Post by Stompy » Wed May 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Staying in the docklands area, there are some council rooms that may be able to be hired for after hours use - just round the corner from the NAB building

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/Communi ... lands.aspx

There is an hourly fee though, but these can usually be negotiated on

wozzit

Post by wozzit » Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Stompy wrote:Staying in the docklands area, there are some council rooms that may be able to be hired for after hours use - just round the corner from the NAB building

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/Communi ... lands.aspx

There is an hourly fee though, but these can usually be negotiated on
I just called these guys. Thereis a room available which holds 15 or so every Thursday night. The rate is either 10 or 20 an hour. Also you need to leave by 10pm. Not sure this will work out?

Some one is back tomorrow I can talk to again to confirm if the rate and the stop time are hard limits

wozzit

Post by wozzit » Wed May 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Also anyone have any thoughts about a CBD location? i.e. Is it out of the question? I have some enquiries out with some places - but not sure it will suit people.

One of the locations possible is:
http://www.whereis.com/vic/melbourne/1- ... d-13073704

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed May 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Good Games in the city is an option. I played board games there several times last year. It does have strong CCG (Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh!) focus however board gamers, RPGers are welcome and there are loads of tables. Good Games also sells board games.
http://goodgames.com.au/stores/vic/melbourne.html

I sent a geekmail to the owner Russell to see if Good Games is interested in hosting Dockers
http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Gomez

Stompy

Post by Stompy » Wed May 08, 2013 5:51 pm

The only negative (for me anyway) with CBD locations is car parking. Docklands at least had some good free parking options.

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Wed May 08, 2013 7:09 pm

When do we still have use of the NAB until?
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

carlos

Post by carlos » Wed May 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Good games seems to be a much better option than the council rooms, there is plenty of parking in the city after 6 , but mostly costs till 8:30pm, neither as good as NAB, but not much choice if that,s unavailable, of course I'm happy to host thurs as well as monday's at mine, but thats not really a solution.So I'm assuming no NAB this week?

crikeythecat

Post by crikeythecat » Thu May 09, 2013 12:04 am

....and this might explain the odd signs last week saying employees needed to keep out of the rooms.

I'd definitely still want to get my Thursday Gaming fix so i am happy to try out alternative locations. I've heard the new NAB building at 700 bourke is supposed to have plenty of public areas, but there are no guarantees & I don't know how far away that is from completion. In the meantime our immediate options (on late notice) appear to be:

- Good Games (they did host us previously when NAB was out of action)
- A pub (the Royal Standard has also kindly hosted us before as well - although EuroGames is on tonight so not sure how they'd feel about games 2 nights in a row)

I can probably offer up my work although however I don't think Gamers@EssendonAirport has the same ring to it (and obviously the location is useless for half the people)
I'd be happy to host at my house, but again Location Location Location.

....bring back the Lithuanian Club....

crikeythecat

Post by crikeythecat » Thu May 09, 2013 12:08 am

TaleSpinner wrote:FYI, Games Laboratory has shifted from the Commbank building at the cnr of Bourke and Eliz to the cnr of La Trobe and Eliz, across the road from Melbourne Central.

http://gameslaboratory.com.au/about
10pm closing time as well.

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Thu May 09, 2013 12:44 am

Is it on tomorrow at NAB or already closed?
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu May 09, 2013 11:38 am

I know there is one other informal boardgame group that meets once a month at The Royal Standard, about 10-15 people; and the owner is fine with it - so it might be worth a try check it out as a alternate venue.

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Thu May 09, 2013 12:38 pm

freaking, was planning on comming tonight too!
How about my place in fawkner. ;)

AndrewConway

Post by AndrewConway » Thu May 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Trev and I independently contacted good games today; they are happy to host (very kind of them). They shut at midnight (negotiable depending on who is on duty; the person on tonight has to catch a train back so it is a hard limit tonight).

So lets say that we are going there tonight.

If we give them a rough player count we can reserve some tables. So please say if you are coming and I will phone at 4pm with an estimate.

If you know contact details for regulars who haven't responded, please email them with the warning.