ConVic8 - The Prize Table

One of Melbourne's biggest and best gaming events; Normally held at Auburn Bowls Club twice a year.

Will you be involved in the Prize Table at ConVic?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:09 pm

Yes, some second-hand stuff & maybe a new game or two too.
11%
Yes, I have interesting items to put up
11%
Yes, 3 or more second-hand games
22%
Yes, 1 or 2 second-hand games
22%
No, because I have no games to put on it
11%
No, because I don't really understand it
11%
No, because it doesn't interest me
11%

Total votes: 9

Unhalfbricking

ConVic8 - The Prize Table

Postby Unhalfbricking » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi all,

With ConVic 8 4 weeks away, could you please once more consider the Prize Table?

I have had no reaction to this concept yet & that makes me worry that perhaps it is not well understood & might fail through lack of involvement.

The Prize Table is oftne the most popular part of other cons in the USA & Europe. However, it does require that lots of people get behind it. I was intending to put perhaps 3 or 4 shrink-wrapped games, & some of my trade-pile.

Could I please get some reaction, to see if I am onto a loser here? If so, there are other areas I could be directing my energy (& finding Melissa another job! - yes, if you bring something to the prize table, it is your chance to talk to the 'Always Passionate' Gaming demi-goddess herself!). :p

You can put up rare games, new games, packages of related items, second-hand games. How early you get to choose your prize depends on how many people want to pick up what you brought!

Thanks. I hope we'll get the best attendance yet!

Julian

cyhiew

Re: ConVic8 - The Prize Table

Postby cyhiew » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi Julian,

Could you please explain the concept and what is involved?

Cheers
Chee
Dont Panic !

Unhalfbricking

Postby Unhalfbricking » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:36 pm

cyhiew wrote:Could you please explain the concept and what is involved?

Sure.

The way it was explained to me is this. You bring something to 'trade' for the table. You give it to passionate Melissa. She records who brought what & labels it. It can be anything you like. I know of people who have picked up Elfenroads or Code777 from prize tables, which means someone must have brought them. It is best to get your items onto the table early in the weekend. You are not restricted to one item or package. I anticipate putting 4 or 5 games/packages in. I have some limited edition expansions, the odd popular but out-of-print game in shrink, maybe some stock or games I no longer play much.

ConVic8 rules are as follows: Anything is acceptable, provided it is a) game related (e.g. a game; a book about games; a Rio Grande t-shirt) & b) inter-related, e.g. (Carcassonne plus 2 expansions). What we don't want is, for example, a copy of Settlers of Catan packaged with World In Flames & a movie voucher.

Then, at the appointed time, a start person is selected (method of choice as yet to be decided), who can take any item/package from the table. Whoever gave that item is then able to choose next & so on. This means that the more appealing your prize, the more chance of someone taking it early, giving you a great selection of prizes. If you choose to go with something smaller, you're likely to be picking later too. Doesn't mean you'll get nothing - just be realsitic. Don't expect to put in a battered copy of Coloretto & expect to get a shrink-wrapped Twilight Imperium 3rdEd!

One very important rule: Once you've put something on the table, you are committed to the prize table. You cannot withdraw it later because you don't want what's left. I don't think that'd be a problem, but we must have this rule in place.

That's how it works. This is our first attempt at this, but most cons inthe US seem to do it very successfully time & again. Anyone with any experience, please send me private message & I can see how I can improve it.
Julian

gerald

Postby gerald » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:21 pm

I'll have a look through my collection tonight before "voting"...

Two thoughts:

1. Should we start a geeklist with what we are thinking of bringing, just to whet appetites and hopefully get more people involved? (Or maybe just post here)

2. Should there be another rule about not being allowed to pick your own game (unless it's the last thing on the table), or is it ok and acceptable to do so?

Unhalfbricking

Postby Unhalfbricking » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:43 pm

gerald wrote:1. Should we start a geeklist with what we are thinking of bringing, just to whet appetites and hopefully get more people involved? (Or maybe just post here)

2. Should there be another rule about not being allowed to pick your own game (unless it's the last thing on the table), or is it ok and acceptable to do so?

Well, I'd say "No" to the first, as I'd worry people wouldn't join in if they knew what was coming. I'd also say "No" to the second, as it'd kill the chain.

J

christianmoura

Postby christianmoura » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:55 am

OK, I've got some good stuff to bring to the Prize Table.

Return to “ConVic”