Convic 7 - wargaming session

One of Melbourne's biggest and best gaming events; Normally held at Auburn Bowls Club twice a year.
christianmoura

Convic 7 - wargaming session

Post by christianmoura » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:58 am

The next Convic will be held during 18th-20th April 2008. Julian has asked us to host a wargaming session on Saturday, 7pm, open to anyone interested.

We need a multiplayer game, that can be played in up to 4h, that is not too complex to be picked up by first-timers. I've thought about the various possibilities, and at the moment I am inclined to go with A Game of Thrones -

* It can be played with 4-6 players
* Rules are easy
* It is an attractive looking game

The one downside is that it can be a long game, though we should be able to finish in 4h.

My second option would be The Napoleonic Wars, which is more of a wargame than AGoT, is quite a bit more complex, and can only be played with 4 or 5 players. I also thought about Struggle of Empires - but I don't quite remember how long and how many players it takes, plus I don't own it.

Anyone else have any other suggestions? Chee, you mentioned a fantasy block game? It sounded really good, but I am not familiar with it at all....

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:33 pm

I had fun with Sword of Rome (that's a long one though...probably slightly longer than Nappy Wars).

Chee Yan was probably referring to Wizard Kings.

Friedrich is also a good multiplayer option.

I'm sure someone could be convince to run a Diplomacy game...

Imago

Post by Imago » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:36 pm

Yeah, Friedrich sounds just right. It works very well with newbies, I even managed to hook some non-gamers with it.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:29 pm

I thought about Friedrich, the only drawback is that it is limited to 4 players. I will bring it along, if there are few people signing up, it will definitely be my option. It is the perfect 3 player game.

I could run a Diplomacy game, but would be reluctant to do so for a few reasons:

= We need 7 players, no more, no less.
= A tournament type game can be played in 4h (and there will be probably half of the players eliminated by then), but still 4h is short for a proper game of Dip.

I should also consider Angola. While it is only 4 player, it is an incredibly fun and unique wargame, with straightforward rules, and with plenty of infantry, tanks, armored cars, mines, engineers, combat odds to properly categorise it as a 100% true-blood wargame. It is my favourite multi-player wargame, and it's not close. I'd limit the number of turns to 5 or 6, or the whole 4 hours. That would ensure that we finish the game in time.

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:49 pm

How about a pseudo-wargame.

We can get an epic C&C game going. Battlelore or Ancients or even M'44.

I'd like to play Angola...but seems like only Chee Yan owns a copy!

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:06 pm

shawn_low wrote:How about a pseudo-wargame.

We can get an epic C&C game going. Battlelore or Ancients or even M'44.

I'd like to play Angola...but seems like only Chee Yan owns a copy!

Hi Shawn, I actually think that CC:Ancients, Battlelore or Memoir 44 would be ideal - quick, easy and fun for the casual gamer. I don't own any of them, and I don't know how the epic thing works. Do you combine two scenarios and have a four player game?

As for Angola, Chee is probably the only owner of this game in Australia. We played it again at Convic last weekend.

We can play it Convic again (outside the Saturday wargaming session) if you want… and if Chee shows up with his copy!!

jeff

Post by jeff » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:08 pm

A photocopier and a few sheets of paper and you can have a copy as well. And with better production quality as well!!!

I love this game and I'm disappointed I missed out on the good Friday game.

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:13 pm

christianmoura wrote: Hi Shawn, I actually think that CC:Ancients, Battlelore or Memoir 44 would be ideal - quick, easy and fun for the casual gamer. I don't own any of them, and I don't know how the epic thing works. Do you combine two scenarios and have a four player game?

As for Angola, Chee is probably the only owner of this game in Australia. We played it again at Convic last weekend.

We can play it Convic again (outside the Saturday wargaming session) if you want… and if Chee shows up with his copy!!
I own the stuff needed for CC Ancients Epic. However, if we want to do M'44 (much easier than Ancients) or Battlelore, then someone will have to being an extra copy as I only own one copy of these games.

There are special Epic scenarios. The rules dictate that there be 4 players on each side (1 for each flank and 1 overall commander) but I think that's BS and you can easily play with two or three on each side and make joint decisions. Or you can have 6 players (one on each flank) and discuss decisions quickly.

Jeff, will Chee Yan be happy to let us 'copy' Angola? The countersheets are online. Just need the rules and map.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:23 pm

Shawn, can you come to Convic with CC:Ancients 'Epic'? I say we go with that. It sounds like great fun, and scales well of any number of players that sign up for the game.

Don't think that Chee minds us copying Angola. But there is more to the game than the map and counters (and rules), there are the equipment cards - about 40 of them, that need to be copied as well, and another 30 or so command cards.

jeff

Post by jeff » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:37 pm

shawn_low wrote:
christianmoura wrote: Hi Shawn, I actually think that CC:Ancients, Battlelore or Memoir 44 would be ideal - quick, easy and fun for the casual gamer. I don't own any of them, and I don't know how the epic thing works. Do you combine two scenarios and have a four player game?

I own the stuff needed for CC Ancients Epic. However, if we want to do M'44 (much easier than Ancients) or Battlelore, then someone will have to being an extra copy as I only own one copy of these games.

There are special Epic scenarios. The rules dictate that there be 4 players on each side (1 for each flank and 1 overall commander) but I think that's BS and you can easily play with two or three on each side and make joint decisions. Or you can have 6 players (one on each flank) and discuss decisions quickly.

Jeff, will Chee Yan be happy to let us 'copy' Angola? The countersheets are online. Just need the rules and map.
Better to discuss with him. I was looking at making a copy last year myself. The countersheets on BGG are much better than those provided. The map is a bit messy. I scanned it and was going to redo it a bit nicer, but it is a bit of work. Would be easy to get an A3 photocopy though.

Also, to be redone would need to be some sort of player aid.

In fact the whole game needs to be redone except the rules. Although they could be re-structured... :D

I would sign up for a P500 reprint if they had it on their website.

Is C&C:A Epic multiplayer?

What about that Wings of War? A big 8 player game...

jeff

Post by jeff » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:40 pm

Shawn,

Can you bring Battlelore along anyway? I'd like to give it a go (and I'm sure Chris would as well). It has similar mechanics to CCA right?

Imago

Post by Imago » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:09 pm

I can bring my M'44, C&C:A, and BL stuff. I can also bring expansions (M'44 Air Pack, Eastern Front, C&C:A exp 1, BL 100yrs War, Goblin Marauders).

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi Guys,

Sorry but I wont make ConVic in April. I would like to but I will be away OS on a course.

Wizard Kings is the one I was thinking of...multiple armies and can be played as team or mano-on-mano. Battlelore of Memoir 44 would be good too.

Shogun (Queen Games)
History of the World
Wings of War
Any of the new Risk variants

are other suggestions in addition to the ones so far.

I would like to make a back-up copy of my Angola map sometime and the new counters too (my present ones are peeling) and am happy to pay some one to do it for me. Any other discussion of "copying" the game probably should not be done is a public forum.
Dont Panic !

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:58 pm

I'm sure it is OK to make a 'backup' copy if you own the original, for personal use.

8)

Unhalfbricking

Post by Unhalfbricking » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:45 pm

Shawn wrote:There are special Epic scenarios. The rules dictate that there be 4 players on each side (1 for each flank and 1 overall commander) but I think that's BS and you can easily play with two or three on each side and make joint decisions. Or you can have 6 players (one on each flank) and discuss decisions quickly.
christianmoura wrote:Shawn, can you come to Convic with CC:Ancients 'Epic'? I say we go with that. It sounds like great fun, and scales well of any number of players that sign up for the game.
Please don't tell anyone that I'm on a wargame forum - the shame of it!

If you can manage C&C:Ancients Epic for any number 4-8 then that strikes me as ideal & if it fits the timing, then I have no doubt you'll get the numbers. If you think it'll overrun, you could start earlier & break for Noi's meal. However, I know that Jack wants to join you & he'll be organising the RoboRallying for the timeslot before the meal.

This sounds excellent. Thanks for all the organisational imput everyone! Don't forget to go to www.fsgw.com.au/convic.php & sign up if you want to partake of Noi's Thai Meal in aid of the primary school in the village she comes from. The 2 she's done like this before had rave responses. I don't like spicy food, so it won't all be spicy!

Julian