Help wanted for ConVic6

One of Melbourne's biggest and best gaming events; Normally held at Auburn Bowls Club twice a year.

I will be able to bring to ConVic...

5 or more friends who are not gamers
No votes
2-5 friends friends who are not gamers
38%
1 friend who is not a gamer
No votes
No-one but I will be there
50%
I am not coming to ConVic
13%
ConVic is a seditious assembly which should be outlawed
No votes

Total votes: 8

Unhalfbricking

Help wanted for ConVic6

Post by Unhalfbricking » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:35 am

I am looking for a few, maybe 5 or 6, people to be on-hand to teach any newcomers a game or two. I'd like to be able to promote the event towards people who have never played a boardgame & might come along 'just to watch', which isn't really what I want. Boardgames are not a spectator sport.

If you are patient (some people still won't 'get' the game even after playing it & will forget one rule on every turn), can explain clearly & methodically, & know a few games really well, then please get in touch with me. I don't really feel that there is a need to designate 'beginner' games. All games can be taught here. Once I have a couple of people I will be able to orient the publicity around that.

I also need some publicists to help me get the event known about, boith in the local area & Melbourne generally. I want to aim at families with kids aged 10+, as well as adults. Any contacts in Unis & TAFEs would be excellent too.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:41 pm

For the record, I've given up encouraging people to play games. It's like forcing a woman to fall in love; the actual *trying* appears to be the very thing which sabotages it. :D

If non-gamers are hanging around games and see a few people having fun they may or may not get the itch, I'm not convinced there's much more that can be done other than exposing people casually.

Ben

gregor

Post by gregor » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:00 pm

I think you can be too eager, but that generally people are interested, though sometimes a bit worried that they won't get it. That's where the teaching helps. And if they're interested enough to show up in the first place, the hard part is done.

I'm always happy to teach, so count me in.

annawid

Post by annawid » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:49 pm

bsmith wrote:For the record, I've given up encouraging people to play games. It's like forcing a woman to fall in love; the actual *trying* appears to be the very thing which sabotages it. :D

Ben
You are so ..................... 'astute' Ben.
Back and ready to game