request for games to play at ConVic9

One of Melbourne's biggest and best gaming events; Normally held at Auburn Bowls Club twice a year.
viranga

request for games to play at ConVic9

Post by viranga » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:04 am

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has (and would bring) any of the following games, to ConVic on Sept 4 (the Saturday):

Cyclades, Dune, The Healing Blade, Oltre Mare, Quoridor, Traders of Carthage

These are 6 of the 8 games on my "want to play" list at bgg. Labyrintus is not yet in production. I plan to bring Erosion with me (tho' I might have played it by the time ConVic rolls around).

On the off chance that my little collection has something that would interest people, it is listed at:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection ... dgame&ff=1

Regards,

Viranga

MooseHead

Re: request for games to play at ConVic9

Post by MooseHead » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:32 pm

Some of the games you mentioned such as Dune do take considerable time and are best pre-arranged to get the players. I am certain that the local champion of Dune (Ben) = westgarthworldwide would be more than happy to arrange such a game for ConVic.
Last edited by MooseHead on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:51 pm

I would be happy to play Dune at Convict - however it depends if I attend. I am really in 2 minds, I wouldn't mind spending a weekend gaming but it depends on how much other stuff I have to do and also what my health is like - sometimes I am just too exhausted to go out at short notice.

The other stalwart, Ryan, would be good to have there although last time we played he mentioned that he was going to rest the game for a while. As his set is better than mine (cards are cut properly for one thing) his involvement would be an advantage.

Being in Laverton doesn't help either, if I decide to go I might try try to sweet-talk my good mate Unhalfbricking into car-sharing as Fairfield is five minutes walk down the hill for me.

If you want to poll for people wishing to play and suggest a date/time we can proceed from there.
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:00 pm

That day is when a Here I Stand game has been scheduled - and that is a long affair. I will bring Dune with me, and if there is enough time, I will play in a game of it, but my first priority is to the previously scheduled game.

viranga

Post by viranga » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:21 pm

MooseHead wrote:Some of the games you mentioned such as Dune do take considerable time and are best pre-arranged to get the players.
Ah, good point/suggestion. It now occurs to me that I rarely find out how long games take.

According to bgg:
Cyclades (60 minutes), Dune (240 minutes), The Healing Blade (30 minutes), Oltre Mare (60 minutes), Quoridor (15 minutes), Traders of Carthage (30 minutes)
Though it also suggests Advanced Civilization (360 minutes), and I've never finished a game of that.
I have to admit that my first plays of most game take much longer than the box estimates.
Traders of Carthage sounds like a much longer game than 30 minutes.

What kind of games are normally played at ConVic?

viranga

Post by viranga » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:34 pm

rjphelan wrote:That day is when a Here I Stand game has been scheduled - and that is a long affair. I will bring Dune with me, and if there is enough time, I will play in a game of it, but my first priority is to the previously scheduled game.
That sounds fine :-) Thank you for bringing the game.

Would you be the `Ryan' that Westgarthworldwide (Ben) mentioned?

I shall ask Julian (unhalfbricking) to point you out to me.

viranga

Post by viranga » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:58 pm

westgarthworldwide wrote:The other stalwart, Ryan, would be good to have there although last time we played he mentioned that he was going to rest the game for a while. As his set is better than mine (cards are cut properly for one thing) his involvement would be an advantage.
Can I infer that you've printed your own sets? I have printed my own set of Adv. Civ. I was lucky enough to find CivProject online (whose url seems to be broken now). Is there a Dune project with print 'n play files?
Being in Laverton doesn't help either, if I decide to go I might try try to sweet-talk my good mate Unhalfbricking into car-sharing as Fairfield is five minutes walk down the hill for me.
We have a friend in common :-)
hmmm ... I wonder if I can get a lift from him as well. Though I live further away.
If you want to poll for people wishing to play and suggest a date/time we can proceed from there.
rjphelan (I'm guessing Ryan) said he'd bring Dune with him to ConVic on the Saturday. If a game of ``Dune'' doesn't emerge after his game of ``Here I Stand'', I'll try to arrange a game of Dune for a date after ConVic. I'm assuming ``Organise a Game'' would be the best forum to post the poll.

ludo

Post by ludo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:00 am

Hi Viranga-

Regarding "properly cut cards", Dune was published with all the cards together on perforated sheets. Before play they had to be separated. In this instance, the distinction is between a set which had the perforations cut, and another where the cards were (carefully) torn apart.

I am still not sure when I will be able to attend Convic (if at all). But if I do come, I will bring Cyclades, and I will try to post an update well in advance. Otherwise, I am happy to bring it to EGF in Kew, or to open gaming at Unicon (Melbourne High, October 1-3).

Cheers,

Rob
When the going gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro

Unhalfbricking

Post by Unhalfbricking » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:10 am

OK. I am anticipating a full car load. I currently have Jack & Tim A plus the trailer & playing games.

Doug Partridge is over from Tassie & has my sofa (& the 3rd passenger seat in my car) unless someone can offer him a bedroom?

Longer games tend to be payed at 10am, as there are only the keener attendees at that time. You could announce it on Sat for 10am Sunday? You might get a full table that way. I know Gerald had Dune once upon a time.

Can I encourage car pooling? It a community thing to do, & ecological. There is no shortage of parking however. I will be there from go to whoa of course.

See you soon
J

gerald

Post by gerald » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:39 am

Unhalfbricking wrote:Gerald had Dune once upon a time.
I still have it, and I still haven't played it! I'll probably bring it again and I'd be happy to learn it if someone was happy to teach it! If that happens, I can read the rules beforehand...

I should be there most of the time.

As to my personal game request: I'd like to play Steam (not Age of Steam) -- I'll bring it too.

And as usual I'll bring Full Metal Planète, any takers? :D

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:24 pm

As guessed, I am the Ryan that Ben mentioned. I am happy to teach Dune, but any game that I am in will be started later in the afternoon, depending on how long my other game takes.

Dune, when played properly, is a fun game - but it can be daunting the first few games of it and a small mistake can make a huge difference for not only yourself but for others who might have been counting on you not making such a mistake. It's also clearly not for everyone, as you must enjoy the diplomacy and intrigue that is inherent to the game.

Now, I've heard Advanced Civilization mentioned... and I'd just like to say that I wouldn't mind embarking upon a game like that starting early on Sunday morning. OR if that doesn't suit some people, a game of Twilight Imperium 3rd Ed. would definitely get my vote for Sunday as well. I really don't get to play these big games very often except for conventions like this so I'm more than happy to take on the 'day killer' type games.

viranga

Post by viranga » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:53 pm

rjphelan wrote:Now, I've heard Advanced Civilization mentioned... and I'd just like to say that I wouldn't mind embarking upon a game like that starting early on Sunday morning. OR if that doesn't suit some people, a game of Twilight Imperium 3rd Ed. would definitely get my vote for Sunday as well. I really don't get to play these big games very often except for conventions like this so I'm more than happy to take on the 'day killer' type games.
Sadly, I cannot attend on the Sunday. It clashes with my badminton, which I organize.

I attempt Adv.Civ every few years. Some day I will finish a game. I've never played Twilight Imperium.

viranga

Post by viranga » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:03 pm

Unhalfbricking wrote:Can I encourage car pooling? It a community thing to do, & ecological. There is no shortage of parking however. I will be there from go to whoa of course.
westgarthworldwide wrote:... if I decide to go I might try try to sweet-talk my good mate Unhalfbricking into car-sharing as Fairfield is five minutes walk down the hill for me.
I intend to go for the full day, starting at 10am, even though I'm usually not a morning person. Saturday's really the only day I'll be there.

Ben, I can give you a lift if you like (if you decide to go). I live in Lower Templestowe. Fairfield isn't too great a detour on the way to Laverton.

viranga

Post by viranga » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:28 pm

gerald wrote:As to my personal game request: I'd like to play Steam (not Age of Steam) -- I'll bring it too.
I'd be happy to give the basic version of Steam a go. I just watched Tom Vasel's video review. The advanced game would probably be too complicated for me.

viranga

Post by viranga » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:25 am

ludo wrote:Regarding "properly cut cards", Dune was published with all the cards together on perforated sheets. Before play they had to be separated. In this instance, the distinction is between a set which had the perforations cut, and another where the cards were (carefully) torn apart.

I am still not sure when I will be able to attend Convic (if at all). But if I do come, I will bring Cyclades, and I will try to post an update well in advance. Otherwise, I am happy to bring it to EGF in Kew, or to open gaming at Unicon (Melbourne High, October 1-3).
Hi Rob,

thanks for the Dune information.
I shall check the list from time to time to see if you are attending Convic.
What's EGF? I just followed the link to Unicon.

Best Wishes,

Viranga
P.S. I probably won't recognize (or be recognized by) many people at ConVic. I'll be a somewhat overweight person wearing a blue vest.