Games explained by video, eg Die Macher

General gaming discussion.
intheclear

Games explained by video, eg Die Macher

Post by intheclear » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:04 pm

I found this website, wondering if anybody else has used it as it seems to have alot of video files explaining how to play certain euro boardgames, such as Die Macher, Thurn and Taxis, Masons etc. dowloading as I type, seems interesting the files can be large 350Mb. but some games need explaining and demo'ed if you haven't played them before, Did I miss a meeting or does everybody know about this site? link to website( http://boardgameswithscott.com/)
learnthelanguageofboardgaming(GG,Avatar,T2r,AOS,Teuber,BGG,Ystari,M44,Faidutti,T&E,Spiele,RR,TI3,Robbirob.)

annawid

Post by annawid » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:41 pm

Have watched a few episodes. Scott is good, makes even boring games look fun. Also sometimes he has the game designer on to explain the games with him. :)

Fraser

Re: Games explained by video, eg Die Macher

Post by Fraser » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:28 pm

intheclear wrote:Did I miss a meeting or does everybody know about this site? link to website( http://boardgameswithscott.com/)
He updates a geeklist and posts an entry to BoardGameGeek each time he puts a new one up.
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

dougadams

Post by dougadams » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:59 am

I've seen a couple of them. His episode on Indonesia was very good - made me finally break it open and try it out.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:15 am

Yeah, I was tossing on whether to get PowerGrid, and finally hit upon a brilliant idea - let my wife watch Scott's PowerGrid review and see what she thinks. Ultimately, she decided that PowerGrid wasn't for her, which saved me a bit given that I would have been playing it with her anyway.

And then when BGG went down for a couple of days, I sped through a number of Scott's other reviews. Although a little corny, he definately gets the content through.

annawid

Post by annawid » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:47 am

Powergrid is not that good for 2, Caylus is not bad. How did you find it?

annawid

Post by annawid » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:50 am

TaleSpinner wrote:Yeah, I was tossing on whether to get PowerGrid, and finally hit upon a brilliant idea - let my wife watch Scott's PowerGrid review and see what she thinks. Ultimately, she decided that PowerGrid wasn't for her, which saved me a bit given that I would have been playing it with her anyway.

And then when BGG went down for a couple of days, I sped through a number of Scott's other reviews. Although a little corny, he definately gets the content through.
I liked Scott's Power Grid review. With the green-haired designer right? :)

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:00 pm

Yeah, the green-haired guy. I think that was partly what turned my wife off PowerGrid ;)

We haven't tried Caylus yet. I've cracked open the box, breathed in the new cardboard smell, and read the rules though. We were supposed to set up a game last night, but after putting our bub to sleep and doing the rest of the household chores, it was close to 10pm and we decided to call it an early night. Besides, we've got friends coming over for a Games Night on Friday, so we might try it then with 5 players.

annawid

Post by annawid » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:29 pm

TaleSpinner wrote:Yeah, the green-haired guy. I think that was partly what turned my wife off PowerGrid ;)

We haven't tried Caylus yet. I've cracked open the box, breathed in the new cardboard smell, and read the rules though. We were supposed to set up a game last night, but after putting our bub to sleep and doing the rest of the household chores, it was close to 10pm and we decided to call it an early night. Besides, we've got friends coming over for a Games Night on Friday, so we might try it then with 5 players.
It'll be a long game with 5.
I LOVE the smell of new cardboard too!!! :D

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:26 pm

annawid wrote: It'll be a long game with 5.
I LOVE the smell of new cardboard too!!! :D
Surprisingly, Caylus takes about the same time to play regardless of the number of players. We play 5 all the time and it takes us two hours, the time flies by, even when you're losing badly :( Just make sure you keep the game moving, you have to harass those AP-ers!!

Ben