A Chris Farrel Moan

General gaming discussion.
bsmith
Site Admin

A Chris Farrel Moan

Post by bsmith » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:31 pm

hey guys.

I just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were about Chris Farrel's reviews, rants and ratings on BGG. I used to read all of Chris's stuff up until about a year ago when I decided it was spoiling 90% of games I would normally enjoy.

Anyone else finding this? I was going to pick up Sword of Rome the other day but decided not to when I saw Chris's 5/10 rating and read about how the more he plays it the more he dislikes it. I'm loving Pax Romana at the moment but I know when Chris finally gets to play it he will pick holes in it no end. Must-Not-Read-Chris's-Comments!! Repeat!

Joe Steadmen once said "Chris Farrel sucks the joy out of gaming". I have to agree. The thing that worries me is he is turning people away from games they may enjoy. I dunno...

Ben

gerald

Go Tom!

Post by gerald » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:16 am

I read Tom Vasel's reviews, he's almost always happy about games, and as I'm an optimistic too, I usually end up buying and liking them anyway!

I also value Bruno Faidutti's opinions (on his own website, usually linked from BGG game pages).

But it's true that some people always seem to pick on something. They just can't be happy with anything. I guess their joy is not in playing games, but in complaining about them. They're just not in the same hobby!

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:47 am

I highly value Frank La Terra's opionions, 'cause they are the freaking best and I find I agree with them 100% of the time!

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:54 am

Mr Skeletor wrote:'cause they are the freaking
What the freaking?

dougadams

Post by dougadams » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:47 am

I used to enjoy everything that Chris wrote, but the past couple of years he's certainly become a bit grumpy. I still check his blog out every now and again, but it's not mandatory anymore.

randy

Post by randy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:46 am

Bah! Frank La Terra's opinions are shakey. Anyone who works at BOM has a credibility problem! ;) ;)

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:57 pm

I agree with Doug.

He has some good thoughts BUT can be a little contradictory. How so?

He moans about long games (Sword of Rome being an example Ben brough up) and how they don't sit well with gamers in this day and age. Yet he has a soft spot of Civilization and several other long games.

And he really likes Settlers of Candamir. Gulp. That in itself should set alarm bells off in anyone's head and should be enough to discredit everything else he's said. LOL.

I suspect he can't decide whether he's still a grognard or a eurogamer. :lol:

Oh and that Frank La Terra guy? He's owned by FFG so take everything he says about FFG products with a large dash of salt. :lol:

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:27 pm

What scares me is I agree with most of his points. However, it really sucks to enjoy a game for 50+ plays then find out from Chris that it was actually a crap game I was playing :)

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:03 am

shawn_low wrote:And he really likes Settlers of Candamir. Gulp.
Hehe. I'm fascinated by the whole Candamir thing. I've never played it but after playing Settlers, Seafarers, Cities and Knights, Starfarers, Starship, Settlers Card Game, I find it really really hard to believe there is a Klaus Tauber game I will not like!

Ben

dougadams

Post by dougadams » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:25 am

bsmith wrote:
shawn_low wrote:And he really likes Settlers of Candamir. Gulp.
Hehe. I'm fascinated by the whole Candamir thing. I've never played it but after playing Settlers, Seafarers, Cities and Knights, Starfarers, Starship, Settlers Card Game, I find it really really hard to believe there is a Klaus Tauber game I will not like!

Ben
Try before you buy!