Replacing Components

General gaming discussion.
curious

Replacing Components

Post by curious » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:11 am

I recently got a 70's copy of Dune off ebay, and I've been doing it up. I'd like to replace the tokens with small glass stones, but I can't seem to find six distinct colours at a 10mm diameter at all, let alone for a reasonable price. :? Any suggestions?

I wanted to store the player kits in Altoids cans as well, but tins of Altoids are $4.50 at US Foods! Good gravy.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:06 am

Try two dollar shops, reject shops and home decorating places. I have seen glass beads/stones that could be used for counters in games at all of them. Prices vary immensely, but if you hunt around you will probably find them for around $2 a bag.
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:04 pm

Sometimes you need to fit quite a lot of those tokens in a pretty small region, are you sure 10mm isn't going to be too big for the board curious?

jttm80

Post by jttm80 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:13 pm

Yeah I agree. You'd probably want something stackable instead of beads.
Maybe tiny poker chips?
:p

shawn_low

Post by shawn_low » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:52 pm

I'd start with actually trying to print off a LARGER board. Your army tokens really stack up and you need more room!

There are heaps of good boards on BGG.

Then I'd suggest using small cubes or tiddlywinks.

curious

Post by curious » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:39 pm

bsmith wrote:Sometimes you need to fit quite a lot of those tokens in a pretty small region, are you sure 10mm isn't going to be too big for the board curious?
... This is a good point. I've only played the game once so far ( Corrino vs. Fremen ) and even though I was getting spiceblocked constantly, there were still great stacks of tokens moving around the board.

I actually found six colours of small, flat glass beads at a local bead store, but at 50c each, they're a touch too rich for my blood if I wanted to replace all 120 tokens. Maybe I could go with small buttons, or just, y'know, suck it up and use cardboard.

edit: Maybe I could use metal shims... then I could use a secret magnet under the board as a new treachery card...
shawn_low wrote:I'd start with actually trying to print off a LARGER board.
I really should do this sooner or later, if nothing else because I replaced the spice deck with a printed set ( two were missing ) and it's now four times larger than the Treachery one. :oops:

pimlottc

Post by pimlottc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:21 pm

Also try arts and crafts stores and hobby shops. Museum shops/educational stores (Australian Geographic perhaps?) often have various polished stones and such. I always wanted to get a load of pyrite stones for a game that used gold.
- Chris @ Dockers

gregor

Post by gregor » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:52 pm

I got a bunch of glass stones from a glass supplier in sydney. Have totally forgotten the name-- but it wasn't too hard to find. I think they did mostly stained glass stuff. They sell them (unsorted) by the kilo.

Educational supply stores would also be a good bet for all sorts of different counters used to teach counting and categorisation and suchlike in primary school.

pimlottc

Post by pimlottc » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:45 am

Reminds me of a somewhat related thread on BGG recently.
- Chris @ Dockers