New Location for Northern Suburbs Gaming Associaton

General gaming discussion.
cyhiew

New Location for Northern Suburbs Gaming Associaton

Post by cyhiew » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:25 pm

Hi All,

After over 13 years in Thornbury where we had the use of the Community Centre, we now have moved to a new location.

The new location is

Fawkner Community House, 79 Jukes Road, Fawkner.
The house is at the end of the Leisure Centre carpark, CB Smith Rserve.

We meet every 4th Sunday from 1 pm to 6 pm but people can come earlier (as early as 9 am...just sign for the key) if long games want to be played. There are two large rooms with tables and air-con (important in summer). There is a small charge per visit.

We play boardgames and minatures (we have terrain and also club games available). People also encouraged to bring their own games. We presently have an ongoing campaign of Empires in Arms with the full 1792 variant with 8 players. Flames of War and DBM are two other popular figure gaming rules been played.

Details also on the NSGA website. http://www.nsga.org.au/
Dont Panic !

Simonj

Post by Simonj » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:27 pm

Why the move? I used to go when it was in the Clyde St Scout Hall in the 80's. It was good because I lived around the corner!

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:18 pm

The costs were getting prohibitve. Insurance premiums went up by about 300% to 500% around 2003 or so. Our numbers were also dwindling despite efforts to attract more people to come to the Sundays...I guess some people just move on to other interests. It is a pity as the Clyde Street Community Hall was a fantastic place with good parking and very spacious. We had Air con in summer and heating in winter and also lots of strage space for the club games, tables and minature terrain.

We were breaking even in early 2000 and by mid 2000 we were eroding the club savings. Fawkner is much cheaper and the venue is also very good with also kitchen facilites and good access. We still have storage for tables etc.

Come back to game with us. We have a ongoing Empires in Arms campaign which has been going since Oct 2005 and we are about 80% through the turns. It has been fun. France did very well early on and then had to contend with Spanish, Turkish, Austrian, Prussian and English alliance. Despite this coalition, France still managed to win battles and do well till Spain gain dominance will the help of her allies. France fianlly surrendered to all but Austria. Meanwhile Russia had been keeping to herself and slowly building up forces. She finally attacked Turkey and won a few battles. However she is now facing a alliance of Turkey, Spain, Austria and England with Prussia almost ready to delare war too. In this 1792 campaign, Russia has a stong position and has the best leader) till Napoleon arrives) and enjoys a good position and income.

We will play other board games and minatures too.
Dont Panic !

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:43 pm

I just brought a house in fawkner, awesome!

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:22 pm

How did you fit the house in your car?

Is it a small housae or a big car?
Dont Panic !

Simonj

Post by Simonj » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:04 pm

cyhiew wrote:The costs were getting prohibitve. Insurance premiums went up by about 300% to 500% around 2003 or so. Our numbers were also dwindling despite efforts to attract more people to come to the Sundays...I guess some people just move on to other interests. It is a pity as the Clyde Street Community Hall was a fantastic place with good parking and very spacious. We had Air con in summer and heating in winter and also lots of strage space for the club games, tables and minature terrain.

We were breaking even in early 2000 and by mid 2000 we were eroding the club savings. Fawkner is much cheaper and the venue is also very good with also kitchen facilites and good access. We still have storage for tables etc.
It's the end of an era, that club has been in Northcote/Thornbury for ages. :cry:

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:19 pm

I only started going regularly in 1996 but I believe it has been in Clyde street since 1993/4 and prior to that in a scout hall just across the street. I am not sure how long it was there then.
Dont Panic !

Simonj

Post by Simonj » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:24 am

Originally in the 70's early '80s it was based at a games store in High St Northcote called 'Wargames' (which is no longer around). Then it moved to some guy's house in Arthur st Fairfield for about a year, before moving to the Clyde St Scout Hall, then the Centre across the road.

I remember helping paint the scout hall in exchange for use of the facilities! :lol: them were the days.
Last edited by Simonj on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darthlord

Post by Darthlord » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:21 am

Great news for me, since Fawkner is only ten minutes away by car or twenty on the treadly. Hope to make it soon.
Andrey: Tougher than Thierry, quicker than Dennis.