Barnes's BGG Banning

General gaming discussion.

Do you agree with Aldie's decision to ban Barnes from BGG?

Yes
25%
No
No votes
Don't Care
25%
Who is Michael Barnes?
50%

Total votes: 16

bsmith
Site Admin

Barnes's BGG Banning

Post by bsmith » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Golly,

It only dawned on me last night just how long I had been without Internet. Michael Barnes banned. :shock:

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:44 pm

Who is Michael Barnes?

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:48 am

Michael Barnes was an outspoken Ameritrash fan on Board Game Geek. A heck of a funny guy who pushed a few too many people's buttons and has become the first person to ever be permanently banned from the site.

His comment on Ticket to Ride:
this game is evidence that if Candyland were released today, fat bearded men and their grotesquely obese wives would be hunkered over it declaring how "clever" and "elegant" the mechanics are- just like they do with TTR.

gregor

Post by gregor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:07 am

Which is funny because...?

Perhaps being fat and bearded blinds me to the humour. Oh well.

So; a controversial character.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:16 am

Not a funny quote but one of the many comments made which likely influenced Aldie's decision.

gregor

Post by gregor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:35 am

The quote certainly shows his style. He sometimes had good things to say; but often he chose to be deliberately offensive and vitriolic.

It felt to me like he was "playing the site"-- baiting people, creating controversies, inventing enemies; working a kind of social experiment. From September of last year, after a few years of not posting much, he suddenly posted all the time. Odd.

I felt the way he stirred the pot was more destructive than the actual things he said-- people just jumped in to the breach and started taking absurd extreme views. To my mind, it changed the atmosphere of bgg for the worse.

But I don't know if banning him will change anything. He's created a social role, someone else will probably try to fill it. All in good fun, of course...

hayden

Post by hayden » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:34 pm

can't he just log in under a different name?

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:51 pm

Yeah he can always create a new account but I think he will probably concentrate on his blog. I've had a read of it, if you're into Barnes's musings it's worth a look. I think it's a better outlet for him than the geek.

Reminds me of a guy permanently banned from the ASL forums (Scott Holst). He's a serial offender and creates multiple new accounts weekly and has been doing so for a couple of years. The funny thing is his spelling is so notoriously bad that experienced forum members can pick him usually before his second post. It has become almost a sport there to spot him first.