Gaming Venues

General gaming discussion.
bsmith
Site Admin

Gaming Venues

Post by bsmith » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:16 pm

hey guys.

If anyone knows of good places to game we should post them here. I remember David saying the Melbourne Bridge Club room is available for any Saturday for a fixed fee of $30.

The State Library in the CBD have a Chess room. There are no facilities for games other than chess:
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/about/visitin ... chess.html

Ben
Last edited by bsmith on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:31 pm

Oh yeah and there's always Frank's joint which is free and has an unlimited supply of Cheesy Poof Twisties!

intheclear

Post by intheclear » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:07 pm

Spoke to the owners of the Contract Bridge Club in Kew (30 cotham Rd.)
Same venue where eurogamesfest is held, the venue is available Friday's at 5pm onwards, at a cost of $30, to organise you will have to contact me to let owners know (george) and to organise a key to get in and lock up, contact me David (0412191375) for more details. Also 2nd and 3rd sat are also an option 2pm onwards. David
learnthelanguageofboardgaming(GG,Avatar,T2r,AOS,Teuber,BGG,Ystari,M44,Faidutti,T&E,Spiele,RR,TI3,Robbirob.)

PPLS

Post by PPLS » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi folks,

I work at PPLS and have been organising board games nights for a couple of years now. We also have consoles and a lending collection of RPG books at St Kilda Library... but I digress.

The first thing I wanted to say was that PPLS libraries (and I imagine most public library spaces) are certainly open for gamer use. We don't have a silent library policy, either - you do need to be considerate of other users and be aware that there are quiet study areas, but we don't mind conversation and laughter. St Kilda Library is probably your best bet among the PPLS branches.

If you want a room to yourselves, we also have a community room in the St Kilda Library building (150 Carlisle St, opposite the town hall), which can be booked through the Council on 9209 6351. Rates vary but nonprofits & community groups are cheaper.

We also have a small selection of board games that we use in the aforementioned games evenings: Carcassonne, chess, mancala, checkers, Citadels (yes, I know, not a board game), Scrabble, Blokus, Chinese checkers... there's currently no provision for letting people use them outside library events, on the grounds that there's been no demand, but if there were demand that might change. Hint hint.

Finally, I would LOVE any local gamers who'd like more regular gaming sessions to get in touch... I've pushed for making them monthly a couple of times, but have been unable to get the staff hours allocated. But if there were seen to be (a) more demand and (b) regulars who could help run the events, that would change things.

I'm at pminchin-<squiggly arruba thing>-portphillip.vic.gov.au or 9209 6413 if anyone wants to get in touch.

Cheers
Phil Minchin
Promoting games (all kinds) in libraries

PPLS

PPLS opening hours

Post by PPLS » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:37 pm

Should have included the opening hours - they're here:
http://www.portphillip.vic.gov.au/libra ... ns.html#L1

Cheers
Phil
Promoting games (all kinds) in libraries

Reggy

Library Gaming

Post by Reggy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:39 pm

Folks,

I've had a good chat with Phil from PPLS and I think this would be an ideal opportunity for us to add another venue to our calendar. The library has others interested in playing and ad-hoc players may walk in the door.

Anyone looking to play or willing to teach games every so often, please let me know.
Cheers
Greg

Stefanie

Re: Gaming Venues

Post by Stefanie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:53 pm

Phil,

Are you interested in getting the odd used game donated to the library? I do rescue the odd game from opp shops,
and sometimes have a small surplus of games that are not typical gamers' games, but still good fun -
The Amazeing Labyrinth, for example.

Cheers,
Stefanie