Kickstarter Advice

General gaming discussion.
AKRepublic

Kickstarter Advice

Post by AKRepublic » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:17 pm

Recently i have come across the website for kickstarter. There are some interesting looking games and there is a couple that appeal to me. As i'm pondering on getting new games i'm not sure whether this would be right way to go. My other concern, being an american website is do you pay for items in USD or can you pay in AUD?

If anyone has any advice or has used Kickstarter before i would love to hear from you.

urbaer

Re: Kickstarter Advice

Post by urbaer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:38 pm

It's in USD (or EUR... but it will normally say if it's in EUR)

The first thing to remember is that you're not preordering games on kickstarter. You're funding someone to hopefully deliver a game. You need to work out how well the person that your funding will be able to deliver that game.

Next you have to be prepared to get nothing. It's possible that even the most trustworthy person will crash and burn. It's happened a few times before... two fairly recently in the boardgaming space.

Even when the project does deliver it may take a very long time. As an example, Ruse is a card game that was supposed to be delivered in early 2013 and is still waiting to be printed because of the dice that were a Stretch Goal... they don't even get used in the main game.

Finally be aware that with postage you may end up paying more than it will eventually cost at retail (this varies based on the campaign). You can alleviate some of this cost by bulk funding with other people here.

My main advise though is take everything you read on kickstarter with a grain of salt, don't get sucked in just because it has cool minis, don't back anything that sounds like or looks like monopoly (or any other knock off) and remember you could get a game that may not deliver for another 9 months or you could just go to milsims tommorow (unless you're reading this on Saturday, in which case wait til Monday) and get a game.

Oh but if you do back something treat it like you've given away your money and then forget that you did. If the project delivers and you get your backer rewards then it's a happy day. I got two copies of a game the other day having completely forgotten that I backed it... was a nice surprise!

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:49 am

I thought you were really against it, then read you backed a couple of items :D

I guess its going into the unknown, you never know what will happen or what you get.

dougadams

Post by dougadams » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:11 pm

Also be aware that a lot of these projects are skipping/skimping on professional game development, going from designer to publication.