AKRepublic

Re: Good 4 Player games

Post by AKRepublic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:50 pm

So far, games recommended for 4 or more players are:

- Settlers of Catan
- Ticket to ride
- Carcosanne
- Caylus

Feel free to add to list or maybe argue why they are not good multiplayer :)

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Without knowing too much about you, I'd say Settlers of Catan.

If you want to hear what I like, my favourite is Angola - an excellent 4 player wargame about the Angolan civil war. Takes about 8-10h to play though.

Recently I have enjoyed Duel of Ages II immensely as well. It is great with 4-6 people.

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:25 pm

christianmoura wrote:Without knowing too much about you, I'd say Settlers of Catan.

If you want to hear what I like, my favourite is Angola - an excellent 4 player wargame about the Angolan civil war. Takes about 8-10h to play though.

Recently I have enjoyed Duel of Ages II immensely as well. It is great with 4-6 people.

Thanks. I'm happy to hear what you recommend. I can look into these myself and decide if its something i want.

Dont worry about what im like, im more interested in your recommendations.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:05 pm

I should also recommend, departing from the usual euro-fare, Battlestar Galactica - I'm pretty sure almost everyone in this forum appreciates how good the game is. When it came out we probably played every week for months.

Other non-euro games that my gaming groups really like (and that work with 4+ players):

Formula D
Fury of Dracula
Cosmic Encounter
Tichu
Love Letter
Last edited by christianmoura on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

urbaer

Post by urbaer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:14 pm

christianmoura wrote:If you want to hear what I like, my favourite is Angola - an excellent 4 player wargame about the Angolan civil war. Takes about 8-10h to play though.
I read this too quickly and thought you said your favourite was Agricola and that you were suggesting it was a wargame.... :lol:

Although that could be fun too...

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:38 pm

christianmoura wrote:I should also recommend, departing from the usual euro-fare, Battlestar Galactica - I'm pretty sure almost everyone in this forum appreciates how good the game is. When it came out we probably played every week for months.

Other non-euro games that my gaming groups really like (and that work with 4+ players):

Formula D
Fury of Dracula
Cosmic Encounter
Tichu
Love Letter

Dude, Love Letter?, we're not that close a group :)

Sounds like a great list, although Formula D was the very first and only game i bought 9 years ago!! I actually traded it for dominion + 2 expansion packs. I will look into the others though.

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:39 pm

urbaer wrote:
christianmoura wrote:If you want to hear what I like, my favourite is Angola - an excellent 4 player wargame about the Angolan civil war. Takes about 8-10h to play though.
I read this too quickly and thought you said your favourite was Agricola and that you were suggesting it was a wargame.... :lol:

Although that could be fun too...

From what ive read about Agricola, that would involve very angry farmers!!! That would be a pretty funny game :D

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:44 pm

AKRepublic wrote:
christianmoura wrote:I should also recommend, departing from the usual euro-fare, Battlestar Galactica - I'm pretty sure almost everyone in this forum appreciates how good the game is. When it came out we probably played every week for months.

Formula D
Fury of Dracula
Cosmic Encounter
Tichu
Love Letter

Sounds like a great list, although Formula D was the very first and only game i bought 9 years ago!! I actually traded it for dominion + 2 expansion packs. I will look into the others though.
The last two games on the list, Tichu and Love Letter (both card games), are cheap, and pack enough game in them for me to say that they should belong in any gamer's collection. Both are 4 player games too.

Trust me, my favourite games have tanks, guns and conflict - but I can elso enjoy a Love Letter, a game with handmaids and princesses.

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:01 pm

christianmoura wrote:
AKRepublic wrote:

Formula D
Fury of Dracula
Cosmic Encounter
Tichu
Love Letter

The last two games on the list, Tichu and Love Letter (both card games), are cheap, and pack enough game in them for me to say that they should belong in any gamer's collection. Both are 4 player games too.

Trust me, my favourite games have tanks, guns and conflict - but I can elso enjoy a Love Letter, a game with handmaids and princesses.

I love the diversity. I will certantly check them out, thanks for that.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:08 pm

christianmoura wrote:Trust me, my favourite games have tanks, guns and conflict - but I can elso enjoy a Love Letter, a game with handmaids and princesses.
Don't be fooled. Love Letter is just another game about eliminating other players. Just like a wargame :badgrin:

Some games you can look into for 4+:

The Resistance (great game for 5+. I brought it out to a friend's birthday party for 8 players, and we played 3 games of this one after the other)
El Grande (old game, but a good one with 4-5, probably best with 5)
Stone Age (plays 4, but expansion adds 5th)
Kingsburg (best with 4-5. 2-3 lacks tension)
Agricola (2-5. I know people who play this exclusively. And with the recent App, I'm constantly on 3-4 games at once :-p)

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:42 pm

TaleSpinner wrote:
christianmoura wrote:Trust me, my favourite games have tanks, guns and conflict - but I can elso enjoy a Love Letter, a game with handmaids and princesses.
Don't be fooled. Love Letter is just another game about eliminating other players. Just like a wargame :badgrin:

Some games you can look into for 4+:

The Resistance (great game for 5+. I brought it out to a friend's birthday party for 8 players, and we played 3 games of this one after the other)
El Grande (old game, but a good one with 4-5, probably best with 5)
Stone Age (plays 4, but expansion adds 5th)
Kingsburg (best with 4-5. 2-3 lacks tension)
Agricola (2-5. I know people who play this exclusively. And with the recent App, I'm constantly on 3-4 games at once :-p)

These are great, keep them coming.

I think i will spend the weekend looking into these games. Maybe narrow down to a few selections and get some opinions.

Keep them coming guys

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:10 am

Mahjong is a four player game...learn how to play at the Saturday meetups :-)
Dont Panic !

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:08 pm

I was also going to suggest El Grande, thanks KK for beating me to it.
Quite a few 'older' euros have good, and varied, strategy elements, including:
Amun Re
Through the Desert (but don't eat the camels! :) )
Domaine
Thurn and Taxis
Samurai
Princes of Florence
Antike
Steam (or Age of Steam, though it's more intense)
and (newer) Hansa Teutonica

Stompy

Post by Stompy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Chaos in the old world
Kemet
Game of thrones (plays with 4, but better with 5-6)
Alien Frontiers

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I will certainly be having a good look at these :)