Good 4 Player games

General gaming discussion.
AKRepublic

Good 4 Player games

Post by AKRepublic » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm thinking about purchasing a new Strategy Board Game in the next month or two. What I want is a game that plays really well 4 player. If there is a game that plays well 5-6 player that would interest me.

I currently own Dominion (my collection is extensive :) )

I would love to hear suggestions from you guys.
Last edited by AKRepublic on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crikeythecat

Re: Good 4 Player games

Post by crikeythecat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:15 pm

Theres probably hundreds to choose from.

Any extra information would be handy :?: : family game - heavy game, short game - long game, co-operative - cutthroat............

crikeythecat

Post by crikeythecat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:17 pm

or start here and work your way through them....
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

(although skip the first one - its 2 player)

dougadams

Post by dougadams » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:25 pm

AKRepublic wrote:I'm thinking about purchasing a new game in the next month or two. What I want is a game that plays really well 4 player. If there is a game that plays well 5-6 player that would interest me.

You sound new :) Try Settlers of Catan.

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:44 pm

see below
Last edited by AKRepublic on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:57 pm

crikeythecat wrote:or start here and work your way through them....
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

(although skip the first one - its 2 player)

Ive seen the list, i'm looking for your opinion on what games are good 4p + :)

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:58 pm

dougadams wrote:
AKRepublic wrote:I'm thinking about purchasing a new game in the next month or two. What I want is a game that plays really well 4 player. If there is a game that plays well 5-6 player that would interest me.

You sound new :) Try Settlers of Catan.

Is this a good 4p+ game? I wouldn't class myself as new, maybe beginner :)

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:00 pm

crikeythecat wrote:Theres probably hundreds to choose from.

Any extra information would be handy :?: : family game - heavy game, short game - long game, co-operative - cutthroat............

Any good strategy game. Less luck/Random the better

urbaer

Post by urbaer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:25 pm

AKRepublic wrote:I'm thinking about purchasing a new Strategy Board Game in the next month or two. What I want is a game that plays really well 4 player. If there is a game that plays well 5-6 player that would interest me.
Problem is that the question is a bit too open and it's really dependent on personal taste. Generally anything in the top 50 games on Board Game Geek will have it's supporters and detractors (except for Twilight Struggle... I've never really met anyone who has said they have played it or liked it).

One of the benefits of the clubs is that you get to play other peoples games without having to buy them. Then when you find a game you love then you lay your money down. See the Clubs & Events section of the forum for details. All the clubs are friendly and are quite happy to welcome new people and teach games.

There's a bunch of games that are considered gateway games... In fact if you check out any Speil De Jahres winner you should go pretty well.

Ticket to Ride is generally well liked, fairly easy to learn. Power Grid isn't too difficult to learn and provides deep strategy with a hint of luck.

crikeythecat

Post by crikeythecat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:25 pm

AKRepublic wrote:

If you are reasonably beginner at games, and the people you are playing with are similar i would highly recommend.
- Settlers of Catan (4 player: with a 6 player expansion)
- Ticket to Ride (up to 5 player - i think)
- Carcasonne

Both are regarded as Gateway games, the ones that get you started on loving board games. I started with Settlers and then Ticket To Ride myself - Ticket To Ride is very popular with my friends that dont really play many board games & available as an i-phone ap for a few $ if you want to see how it plays.

If you want to try something co-operative I'd recommend something like Pandemic.

crikeythecat

Post by crikeythecat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:27 pm

urbaer wrote: (except for Twilight Struggle... I've never really met anyone who has said they have played it or liked it).
Own it, play it, love it.
Definitely not a beginners game though.

urbaer wrote: One of the benefits of the clubs is that you get to play other peoples games without having to buy them. Then when you find a game you love then you lay your money down. See the Clubs & Events section of the forum for details. All the clubs are friendly and are quite happy to welcome new people and teach games.
Agreed - and there are plenty of those on these forums.

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I dont think i made it too clear, but all im looking for is a list of games you guys have played that are good 4 player strategy board games.

any strategy board game. just want personal opinions.

For example take Caylus. You can play 4 player, but i have been told its better as a 2/3 player game. As a result i'm not considering it.

hopefully that makes it a bit clearer.

Please dont list games just for beginners, i want your opinions on any game, doesnt matter how heavy

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:21 pm

crikeythecat wrote:
AKRepublic wrote:

i would highly recommend.

- Settlers of Catan (4 player: with a 6 player expansion)
- Ticket to Ride (up to 5 player
- Carcasonne
- Pandemic

this is a good start. thanks

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:57 am

AKRepublic wrote:For example take Caylus. You can play 4 player, but i have been told its better as a 2/3 player game. As a result i'm not considering it.
And that's the start of the problem of asking for opinions. Personally, I like Caylus with 4-5 because it adds more competition for resources and buildings. And it depends on who I play with; I wouldn't like to play Caylus with a group of analysis-prone players who take 10 mins to make their moves, but playing Caylus with a bunch of cut-throat, quick-thinking players who can laugh evilly at each other when the Provost disables their workers - that makes Caylus a great game experience.

That's really what you're after - a great game experience. And that's highly dependant on what your game group is like. So far, we know that your game group is likely to be a group of 4, and you've all probably played lots of (and had great game experiences with) Dominion and several of its expansions.

What sort of other games do you guys play?

AKRepublic

Post by AKRepublic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:26 pm

TaleSpinner wrote:
AKRepublic wrote:For example take Caylus. You can play 4 player, but i have been told its better as a 2/3 player game. As a result i'm not considering it.
And that's the start of the problem of asking for opinions. Personally, I like Caylus with 4-5 because it adds more competition for resources and buildings. And it depends on who I play with; I wouldn't like to play Caylus with a group of analysis-prone players who take 10 mins to make their moves, but playing Caylus with a bunch of cut-throat, quick-thinking players who can laugh evilly at each other when the Provost disables their workers - that makes Caylus a great game experience.

That's really what you're after - a great game experience. And that's highly dependant on what your game group is like. So far, we know that your game group is likely to be a group of 4, and you've all probably played lots of (and had great game experiences with) Dominion and several of its expansions.

What sort of other games do you guys play?

I appreciate people will have varied opinions on different games, but i dont want to buy a game and not enjoy it because there are 4/5/6 of you playing it.

I think people are not really grasping what im after. This is what i want:

a) Do you play strategy board games?
b) If yes, do you play them with 4 or more players?
c) If yes would you recommend it to others?
d) If yes, type name of game(s) in a new post.

Sorry to be a bit blunt and i appreciate all the help/advice everyone has given. Ive looked at many many games and reviews, but i dont really know if they play better with just 2 players or 4 players. Also i thought it would be a bit of fun to see what games come out and if people agree/disagree?