Eurogames at the Royal Standard - this wednesday, 6pm

General gaming discussion.
christianmoura

Eurogames at the Royal Standard - this wednesday, 6pm

Post by christianmoura » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:34 pm

I'm going to check out this group for the first time, after it's been advertised on meetup.com

Anyone else here going? It will be held at the Royal Standard Hotel (333 William Street) at 6pm tomorrow, and 70 people have confirmed so far (!).

On a side note, it would be sweet if Dockers were advertised on meetup.com as well - we could really swell our numbers.

MooseHead

Re: Eurogames at the Royal Standard - this wednesday, 6pm

Post by MooseHead » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:35 pm

christianmoura wrote:I'm going to check out this group for the first time, after it's been advertised on meetup.com
This group has gone through a surge in the past 6 months with many having been introduced to the party games by the host group Cafe Games, got the bug and wanting something heavier. From there it has grown. Some of the old hands from billabong, EGF, etc attend EuroGames at the Royal Standard on a regular basis.
christianmoura wrote:On a side note, it would be sweet if Dockers were advertised on meetup.com as well - we could really swell our numbers.
Image Image
It's a matter of someone being identifiable (ongoing) as the "event host" by taking responsibility for making and updating calendar entries. For EGF that's me, and I approached Chris Short who has that meetup listing to have ours featured on their calendar. This approach has made the transition to our new location of Mt. Waverley an easy one with vastly improved numbers on a regular basis over the dwindling ones we were suffering.

Alternately, though illogical, start you own meetup group and listings, annual costs about $120.00, so I rather like the piggy-back approach.

At the end of the day, you guys decide your genre, timings, games etc as always, so if it works, why not.
Image Image Image

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:59 pm

How was it? Sadly I am forced to work evenings all this week.
Power tends to isolate those who hold too much of it. Eventually, they lose touch with reality... and fall.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:38 am

westgarthworldwide wrote:How was it? Sadly I am forced to work evenings all this week.
It's tonight (Wednesday). I'll let you know how it went.

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Had I read this yesterday I'd have gone. Let me know how it is I may come to the next one.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:52 am

There were around 60 people in attendance last night at The Royal Standard. For those interested in "a more detailed breakdown", I counted 16 women.

The aim of this particular group is to play eurogames (or strategic games as described in the meetup.com brief), and be friendly to newcomers. In that sense, the event was a success. Corey, the organiser, was very friendly, he distributed name tags to everyone, had designated helpers, bought a stack of his own games, taught some games to people even if he didn't play them himself, and made recommendations to a lot of newcomers who were new to the whole scene.

A lot of people who came last night were indeed new to boardgaming, a fair number of heternormative couples, and willing to try anything (I'm talking about games). Everyone seemed to find a game to join quickly. I asked Corey before the event if games such as Twilight Struggle were welcome to this event, and he had no problem with this. While he focuses on Euros ("strategy games"), he likes TS himself, and doesn't mind what games are played, as long as whomever brings them is willing to teach their rules.

At it's busiest time, there were 11 tables each running their own game. With the exception of a large game of Shadows over Camelot, all other were euros. A couple of games of Carcassonne, 3-4 plays of Settlers, Puerto Rico, El Grande, Kingdom Builder, Black Gold, Settlers the Card Game, Dominion, 2 games of 7 Wonders, Container were ones I remember from memory.

I actually spent most of the night taking pictures and talking to people about their impression of the particular games, of the venue, and this boardgaming club. Everyone seemed very positive about it all.
I thought it amusing that I was probably the person who played the simplest games - Dixit and 6 Nimmt, both games which I had brought along. My copy of 1989: Dawn of Freedom didn't attract much attention, but I really didn't think it would be a viable game to teach and play in this environment. Eventually, I'm sure if people bring along games such as Battlestar Galactica or Game of Thrones, they would find a willing crowd eager to try it - by sheer numbers, you are bound to find someone interested in playing more competitive games. Though I'll be keeping ASL Starter Kit home for the time being.
As for the venue itself, it is adequate. The main room was reserved for boardgames, and had 11 tables. Inevitably the number of players made things quite loud, not much can be done when you have 60 people playing games in one room. A lot of people were having meals, and I should point out that the pub serves nice beer on tap (Holgate's ESB was $9.50 a pint). It is easy to get to by tram, and very close to the CBD, and parking would be easier than at Dockers.

Corey said that he would keep the event at this venue (yesterday was the first night it was held there), and plans on holding it every fortnight. I would be inclined to go again, if I bring my girlfriend along to expose her to some games I'd never play myself, or if some of the Docker's crew can be persuaded to try it out and play something with more dice or tanks.

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:23 pm

I'll go to the next one, so we should organise something for it.

MooseHead

Post by MooseHead » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Mr Skeletor wrote:I'll go to the next one, so we should organise something for it.
Link to next Eurogames at Royal Standard. You will need to signup or link to your FaceBook account to register.

From my experience, I don't think you will have any trouble getting up Battlestar Galactica or Cosmic Encounters in that crowd.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:35 pm

This is happening again this Wednesday - I'll be there. Hopefully I don't get stuck playing Hansa Teutonica :D

crikeythecat

Post by crikeythecat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:34 am

thinking that i might make it along as well
have RSVP'd on meetup
Last edited by crikeythecat on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crikeythecat

Post by crikeythecat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:00 pm

christianmoura wrote: On a side note, it would be sweet if Dockers were advertised on meetup.com as well - we could really swell our numbers.
This seems like it would be a good idea (especially as our Gamers@Dockers website is defunct)

I can look into it, but having never used meetup.com before until last night, i know nothing about how it works.
Might be worth having a chat about on Thursday.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:51 pm

crikeythecat wrote:
christianmoura wrote: On a side note, it would be sweet if Dockers were advertised on meetup.com as well - we could really swell our numbers.
This seems like it would be a good idea (especially as our Gamers@Dockers website is defunct)

I can look into it, but having never used meetup.com before until last night, i know nothing about how it works.
You could speak to Corey tonight, the even host, he can give you some guidance. Sol will be there too, and he has knowledge of running meetup for EGF.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:04 am

Made my second appearance at this meetup sponsored boardgaming gathering last night. This time I didn't have time to wander around and capture much of the action outside the game I was playing, though I did see a lot more familiar faces - Adrian, Julian, Sol, Jeff and Chee-Yan were there playing different games.

Early in the evening I overheard someone mention 'Rex', and I urged him to sit down and set-up the game while I roped in 4 more unwitting newbies. It was a pleasant game, going right to the last turn, lasting nearly 3h.

I think some other people were playing (or were trying to get a game going) of Game of Thrones, and others did bring in Battlestar Galactica, proving that there is a willingness to get non-euro games happening.

MooseHead

Post by MooseHead » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:21 pm

I attended EuroGames at The Royal Standard for the first time, as much for curiosity, promotion of EuroGamesFest and the fact that I wangled a leave pass two nights in a row, (married with special needs child, another leave pass is a big ask). It's actually easier for me to get to than Billabong or EGF. My take below just addresses a few items that this thread has mentioned:
  • :arrow: Types of Gamers
    They "strongly encourage beginners as well as seasoned gamers who like to teach. Bring your favourite strategy game or join a table and learn a new one", that's no different from Dockers, Billabong or EGF. A good mix of experienced and newbs were on hand with the common thread being people who just want to play games and have fun.
  • :arrow: Types of Games
    They openly say "no Monopoly, Jenga, Cranium, Hungry Hungry Hippos", that's no different from Dockers, Billabong or EGF. Whilst "These nights focus on the German- or European-style designer strategy games—Eurogames for short" games such as Battlestar Galactica, A Game of Thrones, Rex: Final Days of an Empire or Cosmic Encounter fit in nicely which is also no different from Dockers, Billabong or EGF.
  • :!: Future listing of Dockers on Meetup
    As I said previously:
    Moose_Head wrote:It's a matter of someone being identifiable (ongoing) as the "event host" by taking responsibility for making and updating calendar entries. For EGF that's me, and I approached Chris Short who has that meetup listing to have ours featured on their calendar. This approach has made the transition to our new location of Mt. Waverley an easy one with vastly improved numbers on a regular basis over the dwindling ones we were suffering.

Alternately, though illogical, start you own meetup group and listings, annual costs about $120.00, so I rather like the piggy-back approach.
I arrived by 6:30pm and the place was well and trully rocking. Christian was already in his element and fully engrossed in Rex. Jeff was equally engrossed in something to his liking. Julian was well and trully into play mode as was Carlos. Thanks to Chee I finally got to play Liberté which has been on my play list for 3 years, resulting in a radical landslide to his advantageas as well as Power Grid. What makes this different, is that it is in a pub, they have virtually taken over the whole place, get food and drink at the table (which yes is challenging as table space competes with games and food). It gets a regularly large crowd, bigger than our older more established groups and we should be leveraging off this to reinvigorate our other groups.
Last edited by MooseHead on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crikeythecat

Post by crikeythecat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:24 pm

christianmoura wrote:
crikeythecat wrote:

You could speak to Corey tonight, the even host, he can give you some guidance. Sol will be there too, and he has knowledge of running meetup for EGF.
Well i discovered my first problem - meetup is classified as a 'dating site' and is banned from my work.