ASL Wednesday (30-Aug-06)

General gaming discussion.
bsmith
Site Admin

ASL Wednesday (30-Aug-06)

Post by bsmith » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:28 am

Hey guys.

Scenario
The scenario will be the classic Commando Schenke(126) from Beyond Valor (you should all have a copy).
This will be a bloody one. The LOS issues will be virtually non-existent.

Gear
Beyond Valor is the only module needed.

Rules
The only additional rules we will be using next week are those for Flamethrowers, Demolition Charges, Fortified Buildings and Snipers. You would remember the FT and DC rules from S2 - War of the Rats so it'll be easy to pick up. The rules for these weapons in ASL are more or less the same.
If you think Residual FP is hard to remember wait until you have to remember that the Sniper is activated every time you make a DR of 3 :)
I would also suggest you read the rules covering firelanes, they should come in more useful in Commando Schenke.

The Map
It's all city fighting on board one. As per the SSR rules on the scenario sheet, all buildings have 2 levels (Ground and First floor).
This time around firelanes should come in more useful as well as smoke grenades.

Map overview:
http://www.melbournegamers.com/files/co ... chenke.jpg

I think that covers most stuff.
Last edited by bsmith on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:42 pm

On the ASL forum I asked if there is anything we should know about Commando Schenke before playing. Brett Hildebrand gave some excellent advice:

--------------------------

With newbies, I'd be a little more worried about the Russians in Commando Schenke - especially defending out too far in front & not getting back to the fortified safety of the VC building. Performing a fighting withdrawal is tricky & a newbie may be too worried about defending up front and get pounced upon in this one. Never getting back to the VC building is a sure way to lose it...

Mopping up can be good - presuming No Quarter is not in effect - it'll flush out HIP & round up brokies. My guess is it'll be tough to mop up the VC building in this one though.

Rules wise I'd go over the implications of fortified buildings, assault engineers & infantry smoke, plus DCs in general and specifically the options vs. a fortified building. If they're uber-newbies you'll want to talk about how to attack across open ground etc. as well.

Of course it's better to break than breach, but you can't guarantee the former while the latter is nearly a given. If you take the breach, you guarantee the ability to CC w/the accompanying risk - the break you may net nothing which could devastate you by slowing you down, but if you get the break you get the position w/no risk of lost troops. And a pin could be good enough to get you into CC. Tough choices there & much will likely depend on the forces involved & situation as to which is best. Time is the biggest enemy for the Germans in this though & getting slowed up by the fortified locations for very long will cost the Germans the game.

I don't think L1 fortified locations are much different than ground level. Obviously the stairwells are key though - control those & you control the between level movement (presuming it is a L2 building like I'm recalling w/printed stairwell hexes, but it's been a long time).

Assault engineers in this are really just the smoke bonus - make sure they use infantry smoke on the attack. 'Course the 838s are very important just because of the firepower - having them around in the end building along with the -2 leader is critical.

Hopefully the newbies enjoy the scenario - I've always liked Commando Schenke, although it's been years since I last played it...

Bret Hildebran
damavs@alltel.net
www.aslok.org

redturtle

Post by redturtle » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:51 pm

Looks like we have 6 people signed up so far.

Looking forward to it see you all on Wednesday night!

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:11 pm

redturtle wrote:Looks like we have 6 people signed up so far.

Looking forward to it see you all on Wednesday night!
Good to have you on-board Tim.
It'll be a bit of a slug for awhile as we get new players fired up on the Starter Kit. We just need a few more guys to start feeling confident with the rules. Not an easy feat but after a few weeks things should fall in place.

redturtle

Post by redturtle » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:28 am

3 great games were had!

2 starter kit games with the Americans both winning in the last turn.

and in the full ASL gamethe Germans came through with the goods with a fully fledged flame thrower doing some significant cooking.
Get a grip!

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:38 am

redturtle wrote:3 great games were had!

2 starter kit games with the Americans both winning in the last turn.

and in the full ASL gamethe Germans came through with the goods with a fully fledged flame thrower doing some significant cooking.
Yes, I think two 30FP Demolition Charges followed by a 24FP Flamethrower was a little too much for the Russian Conscripts :)

We still got a few damn rules incorrect!
- A unit may not rout towards a Broken unit.
- The DC and flamer have a chance of creating flame and rubble (usually when they get a KIA result, this didn't happen in our game however).
- We forgot to use Encirclement, not a biggie.
- Final firing MGs have their Breakdown number reduced by 2.

redturtle

Post by redturtle » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:57 am

I just checked the rules as well after last night's game with the starter kit.

It says units not in melee may rout. It doesn't say anything about units in melee. So what happens with units in melee?

Lets use a couple of examples and see what the answers are. Ben can you help out on this please.

Eg1. 1 german squad and an 8-0 leader with 1 american squad and an 8-0 leader. At the end of the CC phase they are both still in melee and a melee counter goes in top.
Next turn.
They get blasted and all units (both German and American) break. Are they still in melee and therefore cannot rout?

Eg2 Same squads and again stuck in melee. Again they get blasted next turn but this time, the Germans do not break and the Americans break. Can the Americans rout or are they still in melee?

Awww crap I just realised as I was typing this it is really a question of when does melee end and not about routing.

I just check the starter kit rules and here is the answer for Eg1. Remove the melee counter as soon as no unbroken units remains.

However, for Eg2 if there are good order units left then the melee counter stays. Do they stay in melee until removed or do the broken squads get eliminated due to failure to rout.

I think the rules says, "they may not conduct any activity other than CC, eg, leave that location. So broken units remain in melee until eliminated.
Get a grip!

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:43 am

Not answering your question, but in the original SL, units which break while in melee are immediately eliminated.

ASL probably gets the same effect by saying they're disarmed, have the option of surrendering or being captured and can be converted to prisoners assuming the germans make thier 87.6.4 Rope-Tying roll (that's a granny knot if you roll a 4 on the red die). :D

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:11 pm

I think the rules says, "they may not conduct any activity other than CC, eg, leave that location. So broken units remain in melee until eliminated.
I can't find that rule Tim ("may not conduct any activity..."), which section? If it says that then yep they stay in Melee.

In full ASL they must attempt to withdraw. If *all* squads held in Melee are broken they must all withdraw to adjacent hexes (leaving the Melee hex empty). It's a good tactic for completely clearing a building location quickly.. just fire that flamer right into the Melee :lol:

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:22 pm

Doug as a follow-up to our conversation last night about the ASL community. The ASL forums are here: http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forum ... y.php?f=30

I posted a question under "ASL Tactics & Strategy" asking why I would want to waste a DC on breaching a Fortification when I could just drop the DC straight into the hex therefore breaking the occupants. Had some interesting responses.

redturtle

Post by redturtle » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:56 pm

Ben,
The rule I site is in the Starter kit #1 rules.
Page 10 first column middle paragraph.

It talks about after CC resolution and what happens to get the melee counter.
Get a grip!