Frankie's wet-dream?

General gaming discussion.
bsmith
Site Admin

Frankie's wet-dream?

Post by bsmith » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:24 pm

Anyone tried The Scepter of Zavandor yet? Looks like an interesting mix of fantasy and heavy euro.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13884

On a side note, does anyone have Pitchcar (Carabande) or Crokinole? I'd love to give them a try one day...

Ben

Duncan

Re: Frankie's wet-dream?

Post by Duncan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:32 am

bsmith wrote:Anyone tried The Scepter of Zavandor yet? Looks like an interesting mix of fantasy and heavy euro.

Did you ever play Outpost, Ben? Its the same game with way, way prettier bits. Mmmmm, lovely bits.

Good economic game (earn cash, buy more production and special abilities, earn points). A bit longer than your average Euro.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:04 pm

Heh, the theme reminds me of "Hogwart's School of Magic". I bet someone will eventually come up with a similar game where players are students of Hogwarts vying to become the next Schoolmaster ;)

dougadams

Re: Frankie's wet-dream?

Post by dougadams » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:12 pm

bsmith wrote:Anyone tried The Scepter of Zavandor yet? Looks like an interesting mix of fantasy and heavy euro.

Number crunching advancement game. It's good, but four or five games or it were enuff :D

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:06 pm

It sounds kinda like Caylus in a way... What did you think of Caylus guys?

Sounds like something Anna might like... Hogwarts, number crunching etc :lol:

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:36 pm

Played Caylus last Friday night with 5 players. Overall, I rather liked it. Reminds me of a computer simulation; you take turns placing your workers, and then "Run" the simulation from one end of the road to the Provost.

We stuffed up a couple of rules though - no one started with any resources/coins, we played the "Worker's Wages When Someone Passes" slightly incorrectly, but most importantly, we thought that the final row of Royal Favours actually built buildings for you for free. Needless to say, the game dragged on a little longer than usual without starting resources (about 3 hours) and one player gathered an obscene lead on the others because of the misintrepeted last rule.

I must say that this is the few games I've seen which has such a large use of icons instead of words. Production-wise, it would save on printing costs for the board and game pieces; you'd only need to produce the rules book in different languages.

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:11 pm

Looks like shit.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:41 pm

Mr Skeletor wrote:Looks like shit.
Frank, you have to join the Werewolf game. I can already imagine your one-liners sprouting up all over the place.
Mr Skeletor wrote:Screw this. Vote everyone.