Explain to me the popularity of Eurogames

General gaming discussion.
Forper

Explain to me the popularity of Eurogames

Post by Forper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:47 pm

I had a friend that started playing "Settlers of Cataan" a few years ago. Let's just say he's not my friend anymore. After 1 round with him it was like "WHY do you play this???". It was the most mind numbing, over complicated, pointless experience of my life.

Apparantly eurogames are popular, is it because wives and girlfriends who like more peaceful themes condone them? Any other reasons why you would want to play a game based on farming or something equally as boring?

gerald

Re: Explain to me the popularity of Eurogames

Post by gerald » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:16 am

It's fine to dislike or hate euros, but coming to a "board games" website and pissing all over the (currently) most popular form of the genre is just trolling.

From other posts, I'm assuming you're a wargamer -- if not please adapt this to your preferred hobby. How would you feel if I went to your favourite wargames forum and started saying things like "I had a friend that started playing 'flatt top', let's just say he's not my friend anymore. It was the most mind number, over complicated, pointless experience of my life. Apparently wargames are popular, is it because wives and girlfriends who like manly themes will be impressed and have sex with you? Any other reasons why your would want to play a game based on killing people on grand scales or something equally as disgusting?"

(nb: I do like the occasional wargame...)

If you're genuinely interested in an answer, please rephrase your question.

Or am I just feeding a troll?

andrewp

Post by andrewp » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:32 am

Settlers of Catan is too complicated for a Wargamer??

ms_emily_strange

Post by ms_emily_strange » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:56 am

andrewp wrote:Settlers of Catan is too complicated for a Wargamer??
+1
gerald wrote:Apparently wargames are popular, is it because wives and girlfriends who like manly themes will be impressed and have sex with you?
Haha, +100! But since when did gamers (of any variety) have time for sex? Tuesday nights at Billabong were a write-off...!!!