Melbourne Museum game exhibit - printing resources?

General gaming discussion.
melissa

Melbourne Museum game exhibit - printing resources?

Post by melissa » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:18 pm

Hi all,

you probably have already read on Boardgamegeek that Fraser and I are exhibiting boardgames at the Melbourne Museum for all of September.

We're putting together our final display, and we want to produce some posters about games that we don't have room to display in the cases. Problem is, neither of us has access to an A3 or larger sized colour printer or an A3 printer :(

I figured it was worth turning to other gamers to see whether anyone has access to that equipment & would be willing to print up a couple of posters etc for us (not more than 5 - probably more like 1 or 2). I've laid them out (they're not pretty - if anyone is a graphic designer feel free to go for it!)

Any questions, please ask.

And of course we hope to see lots of gamers visiting the museum during September - we plan to be there Saturdays & Sundays, as well as Tuesdays & Thursdays during school holidays (last 2 weeks of September)

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:22 pm

Will there be gaming tables or is it purely a display Melissa?

Unfortunately I've only got an empoverished A4 printer. I know of at least one gamer here has an A3, I'll let him volunteer.

Ben

melissa

Post by melissa » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:40 pm

There will be gaming tables!!! YAY!!!

We have had some support from local distributors and publishers so we should be able to leave a couple of games out for people to play with even when we aren't there, even at risk of a piece or three going missing.

We'll also be staffing the exhibit every Saturday and Sunday through September, as well as on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the last 2 weeks (school holidays - very busy time). We will run demo games and encourage people to join in and play a few hands.

At this stage, we plan to just use a couple of tables in the exhibition space or in the Australia gallery, but I understand that there are other areas of the museum that we **could** use if there was a lot of interest.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:41 pm

You know, it's odd that the Melbourne Museum website doesn't mention anything about the up-coming boardgames exhibition in Sept.

I was trying to find out if it'll start this Friday, 1st Sept.

melissa

Post by melissa » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:54 pm

TaleSpinner wrote:You know, it's odd that the Melbourne Museum website doesn't mention anything about the up-coming boardgames exhibition in Sept.

I was trying to find out if it'll start this Friday, 1st Sept.
The easiest way to find out is to ask.

Yes, we will be at the museum Friday morning setting up the games - I expect we will have the display mostly done by around lunchtime, although that may be optimism. It will certainly be open for viewing Saturday and Sunday, when we have some game demos scheduled.

I imagine there will be a hot topics page linked to from the main Community Collections page once September is actually here.

Meanwhile, you can search the museum website for 'boardgames'.

TaleSpinner

Post by TaleSpinner » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:32 pm

Thanks, melissa. Will try to drop in on Friday lunch-time.

Thanks for putting this all together!

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:12 pm

TaleSpinner wrote:Thanks, melissa. Will try to drop in on Friday lunch-time.

Thanks for putting this all together!
I'd wait until Satuday, even if we finish in the morning, which as Melissa said is optimistic, there are two other community collections setting up in the same area, so it may well be closed off for the day.
No jpegs were harmed in the making of this post.

Darthlord

Post by Darthlord » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:25 pm

Hi Melissa,
I know it's getting a bit close, but I've got an A3 colour printer at work, and I'm intending to go to Dockers tomorrow night, so I may be able to help you out if you haven't got this sorted yet. You can email me files at m.sarnecki at iimetro.com.au tonight or martin.sarnecki at epa.vic.gov.au during the day tomorrow.

I can't guarantee to be able to do it in time for you, but I'll try if you send what you've got.

Martin Sarnecki
Andrey: Tougher than Thierry, quicker than Dennis.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:36 am

Thanks for the offer Martin, but I am pretty sure we have got our A3 printing covered off.

Fraser

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:40 am

Fraser wrote:Thanks for the offer Martin, but I am pretty sure we have got our A3 printing covered off.

Fraser
Damn you Fraser. You beat me to the 1000th post :D

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:50 am

bsmith wrote:
Fraser wrote:Thanks for the offer Martin, but I am pretty sure we have got our A3 printing covered off.

Fraser
Damn you Fraser. You beat me to the 1000th post :D
Woo Hoo!

[Fraser does the Happy Dance even though he is in at work doing an implementation]