ASL next Wednesday (23-Aug-06)

General gaming discussion.
bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:49 pm

Here's an overview of Gavin Take ready to start. The Germans set up in the township. The American forces enter from the North and need to exit units off the blue highlighted hex in the South to achieve victory.
A common tactic for the Germans is to move a squad onto the victory hex and dig a Foxhole there then camp a squad in it :) We won't be doing that though, it's unfair to new players.

http://www.melbournegamers.com/files/gavin%20take.jpg

dougadams

Post by dougadams » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:21 pm

bsmith wrote:
annawid wrote:Sigh... which is the lesser of the 2 evils? :p
You still owe me 3 games from Intrigue last time.
For those of you following this thread for a laugh, myself and Anna did get through one entire turn of ASL Starter Kit Scenario #1. That was Friday night and it's now Sunday. The game is still setup on the table and waiting for turn 2 :lol:
Clearing Colville? Only takes a few turns ... I'm waiting for the session report :)

annawid

Post by annawid » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:14 pm

In my defence, that entire turn of ASL was after Thurn and Taxis and Carcassonne and it was 1.30am after a day of work.

Saturday didn't get out of bed till the arvo then had a girls nite dinner with too much eating n drinking. Only had strength for poker after.

Sunday Ben got up late, after 2pm, which was when I was already busy Tichuing with some nice German people.

Sounds like a lot of excuses but it's all true :D

annawid

Post by annawid » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:17 pm

dougadams wrote:
bsmith wrote:
annawid wrote:Sigh... which is the lesser of the 2 evils? :p
You still owe me 3 games from Intrigue last time.
For those of you following this thread for a laugh, myself and Anna did get through one entire turn of ASL Starter Kit Scenario #1. That was Friday night and it's now Sunday. The game is still setup on the table and waiting for turn 2 :lol:
Clearing Colville? Only takes a few turns ... I'm waiting for the session report :)
Come on Doug, I'll lose my edge if I don't play with real people face-to-face soon..... ;)

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:47 pm

Doug the venue may have changed. Please check your personal message for details.

Ben

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:50 am

Hi guys.

Just a brief rundown of ASL last night. Myself, Zoltan, Doug and Tim got together to play two simultaneous games of Gavin Take.
Because we were all learning, the game was a long one! Thankfully the only large rules issue that eventuated was one of LOS and another to do with prisoners in CC.

For the LOS issue Doug was correct in saying the level 1.5 building only generates 1 blind hex from a level 2 hill. I verified this in VASL. Nice one Doug! Your study paid off 8) Now we just need to figure out how a 1.5 level building effects LOS from a level 1 hill to another level 1 hill :D

The solution to the second problem is less obvious. It certainly is possible for prisoners to combine with other units to attack their Guard, the issue in question is.. can they still attack sequentially? There appears to be some disagreement and the topic has been covered before in the forums.

The discussion is here:
http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forum ... post571682

It was an interesting situation. A group of 6 Germans guarding a captured squad of 12 Americans is suddenly surprised at a lone hardcore leader appearing to help them free themselves. You have to remember these prisoners had no weapons, so the only shots came from the leader himself... but he did it, he freed the prisoners!!!
When CC had finished we were supposed to immediately re-arm the prisoners (it is assumed they grabbed the weapons off the eliminated HS).

Kudos to Doug who rolled no less than 5 double sixes throughout the game and still hung around. His beefy leaders were literally crawling around the battlefield covered with bandages!

I know Tim wants to go back and have a go at the Starter Kit scenarios again but I recon you guys should stick to the full rules and keep at it. The other Starter Kit scenarios (from S2 onward) pretty much cover the same rules.
I know we covered a lot of stuff last night but if we stick at it I think we can get past the hump. I recommend we swap partners as well. I'll play Doug at Commando Schenke and Zol can play Tim, that way I can help Doug out through some of the fiddly stuff.

Hope you guys enjoyed it!

Ben

dougadams

Post by dougadams » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:16 pm

Who won the game between you and Zoltan?

It was good fun, although I have a lot of reading to do to make up ground. I thought last night was about picking up the mechanics, but Tim had the rules pretty much down (and the tactics) - I was doomed :)

I'll get the infantry rules read this week, and push some counters around, so I'll be more prepared next week.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:22 pm

bsmith wrote: Now we just need to figure out how a 1.5 level building effects LOS from a level 1 hill to another level 1 hill :D
That was probably rhetorical, but it'd be blocked, right?

But then, I only fiddled with ASL briefly almost 20 years ago before returning to my preferred SL+COI and we don't have silly half-height obstacles. :)

bsmith
Site Admin

Post by bsmith » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:50 pm

Hmmm, I'm sure I replied to this one this morning.. lost it somehow :?
Duncan wrote:That was probably rhetorical, but it'd be blocked, right?
I had a look earlier and yes, it's definately blocked. Right on Duncan.
Duncan wrote:But then, I only fiddled with ASL briefly almost 20 years ago before returning to my preferred SL+COI and we don't have silly half-height obstacles. :)
Soft!!
ASL is really not something you can dabble in for a short period. If you want to see what all the fuss is about you really need to push through lots of different scenarios quickly. It may take 20 games before you feel confident enough to concentrate solely on the fun of playing.
The learning process is always long and painful, it's a very steep curve. But how often in life are the hardest things to achieve the most rewarding? :)

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:43 pm

bsmith wrote:ASL is really not something you can dabble in for a short period. If you want to see what all the fuss is about you really need to push through lots of different scenarios quickly. It may take 20 games before you feel confident enough to concentrate solely on the fun of playing.
Oh it wasn't a commitment issue. Its a personal preference. I've probably played over 200 games of Squad Leader, Cross of Iron or Crescendo of Doom (and half a dozen GI:Anvil of Victory and about a dozen ASL). Admittedly most of those games would be the same ~30 scenarios.:)

Maybe a dozen games isn't enough, but I just didn't find the additional chrome was worth the time. A severe case of preferring the original "Design for Effect" vs ASL's "Model Everything".

This isn't bagging ASL though. Its just not my preference. :)