Earth Reborn?

General gaming discussion.
andrewp

Earth Reborn?

Postby andrewp » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:17 am

Earth Reborn caught my eye as a tactical miniatures game with tight mechanics and random mission generation. Anyone tried it? Is it worth getting?

sime

Re: Earth Reborn?

Postby sime » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:40 pm

Very interesting game.

I bought this game, and worked hard to get it to the table. I played four sessions and the first five missions of the 3/4 player campaigns. Each session was a month apart. All the players were quite bright though not all board gamers prior.

I mention the above because this is a game where the players are important and where the commitment of time is also important. I think with the right group, experienced players, able to absorb large amounts of rules, and able to commit the time to really explore that game, you'd have a blast. The game is very cinematic. I shot a bazooka, nearly decimated a player that it hit, but also the locked door beside him, he then was able to limp into the room, find the item he required and crawl out the back off the map to achieve the mission.

The problem? Well not everyone is cut out for a game like this. One of the guys in the group pointed out that at the end of four sessions he had merely run in and around the place, barely fired a gun, hid in a tree and died twice. He didn't blame the game but his play, however that is a risk. Perhaps less of a risk with two players. With the setup time, the commitment required to learn the full rulebook, and the odd slow player the fun to effort ratio can be a little down.

As a result I am not really sure what I will do with Earth Reborn. It may join my pile of games that I pretend I am saving for when my son is older, I may try another session with these guys...but the last session was lighter games and went so much more smoothly, or I might hock it off to someone that will give it the run it deserves. If I was 18, had time to burn with some mates over a summer, this game would one of those ones we'd talk about for a lifetime. Sadly with intermittent sessions and some fussy players I may have let Earth Reborn down.

Hope that helps.

andrewp

Postby andrewp » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks, that was far more helpful than a normal review.

My situation is probably the same: logistics eclipse desire to play. If only I were still at Uni!

Unhalfbricking

Postby Unhalfbricking » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:19 am

andrewp wrote: If only I were still at Uni!

Go back there! Problem solved. :lol:

sime

Postby sime » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:27 am

Well if I decide to hock my copy I'll give you a heads up in case you haven't talked yourself out of it yet.

I think I'll start exploring the Vlaada back catalogue because that length of game, the complexity and the pure fun factor seems to fit my schedule more. I clearly have more money than sense, or time. A shelf full of games that if the wind goes in the right direction, if the stars align just right, if the right people show in the right mood, will create a perfect gaming moment.

I can't afford to go back to uni Julian, so I am relying on lotto to say to me "despite having never bought a ticket, you deserve this heaping pile of cash...and all your friends can have some cash too. Game away." I am pretty sure that is a better use of money than feeding the poor and destitute :)

Return to “General”