Long time sporadic gamer, first time poster.

General gaming discussion.
sime

Long time sporadic gamer, first time poster.

Post by sime » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:45 am

I figured I might introduce myself as I have recently been trying to get a bit of gaming done, and this seems like a good place to chat about that hobby.

As is probably obvious, I live in Melbourne, out west side in Altona Bay (technically Altona Meadows but I much prefer my pockets pre-unification name). I have the standard gaming upbringing, Monopoly as a child, then Risk/Diplomacy as a teen, then I saw this game called Settlers of Catan ("Games can win awards??" - Me) which blew my mind out the side, then Magic for a bit (Weeny Deck, and Wild Growth/Big Creature deck were my favourites), then a lull, and in the last year or two I have been trying to get a crew from work trained to play with. I have to provide all the games, and try to teach them, and host, and keep people interested etc, which is all a bit of a pain now that I have a kid that has learned to walk. When stars align in peoples schedules it is a good night.

Early on my preference was eurogames, Settlers for the longest time, then I found Puerto Rico which I loved. We got a few good games of Power Grid done in the last two years, great game, hurts my head but I love it. Very recently I decided to ease off a little on my comic book buying and buy some newer games. That led to gaming podcasts (The Dice Tower), Board Game Geek website, and eventually here.

I just bought Cosmic Encounter, then Battlestar Galactica and Memoir 44. I have only played Cosmic Encounter of them, and only once, but it is such an awesome game. It feels so loose, and aggressive, something I hadn't gotten from Puerto Rico and co. I don't have a huge collection of games (simem on bgg for my list), but I also haven't played them into the ground anywhere near as much as I'd like to have. CE did get me excited though and is to blame for me searching out new game types from the one I own (like the co-op-ish Battlestar, and some wargaming themed Memoir 44).

Having just dipped my toe into the hobby aspect of gaming, I am fascinated by wargaming, eurogames, ameritrash, ASL type niches that seem to exist. I spent a good amount of time this weekend trying to see if I could ever find the time or brain power to be an ASL, it sounds just so cool. I am still undecided.

In terms of gaming ability, I am a good Settlers player (haven't lost a game to the iPhone AI), an average Puerto Rico player, and below average at chess. So I think that means in the regular world I am above the mean, in the gaming world pretty bog average.

So anyway I thought I'd say hi, ramble a little like a good newbie should, and maybe get a chat going.

Mr Skeletor

Re: Long time sporadic gamer, first time poster.

Post by Mr Skeletor » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:52 am

G'day Sime,

Melbourne has a fair few gamers these days, playing everything you have mentioned so if you can ditch the jnr somewhere for a few hours and hit one of the game clubs you'll get your gamecount up.
The melbourne scene is basically divided into the 3 categories (Euros, Ameritrash and Wargames) though there is a bit of cross over expecially between the Wargamers and the ATers.
Ameritrash and Wargames tend to get pre-organised before the event on sites like this one, Eurogames are much more rock up and play. The melb scene does have bit of a 'cult of the new' thing going on meaning people are always playing new games as opposed to playing the same stuff, so most games will have inexperienced players so there is no drama there.

At the clubs I attend (Dockers and Eurogames Fest) power grid is fairly common, Puerto Rico less common and settles is pretty rare.
Battlestar Galactica is very popular, as is Cosmic, though I havn't seen a game of MM'44 in years.

Alpha is probably the Wargaming king in melbourne and loves trying to recruit new wargamers so if you want to learn ASL he is your man (he is also prone to making suicidal moves so he is good to play against as a newbie.) The forum owner is also an ASL tragic.

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:53 am

Also if you would like to play the old CLASSIC DUNE! there is currently an opening for a Freeman player.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:05 am

Mr Skeletor wrote:Also if you would like to play the old CLASSIC DUNE! there is currently an opening for a Freeman player.
If you are not familiar with Dune, it's a gateway card game, half-hour tops, to be played between more serious stuff like Cutthroat Caverns and Loopin' Louie.

sime

Post by sime » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:12 am

christianmoura wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:Also if you would like to play the old CLASSIC DUNE! there is currently an opening for a Freeman player.
If you are not familiar with Dune, it's a gateway card game, half-hour tops, to be played between more serious stuff like Cutthroat Caverns and Loopin' Louie.
So what you are suggesting is if I am familiar with Uno I should be fine? The rest is just theme? :D

The variable player powers is fascinating. I don't know how true this is but I remember hearing that Dune has a bunch of different players, and each has a game breaking ability...and somehow the game balances. Is that true?

sime

Post by sime » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:35 am

Mr Skeletor wrote:G'day Sime,

...so most games will have inexperienced players so there is no drama there.
Thanks for the welcome.

I might have to look into hitting up one of these gatherings some day. I am more likely to be able to squeeze a weekday as that cuts into less time with the wee man.
Mr Skeletor wrote: At the clubs I attend (Dockers and Eurogames Fest) power grid is fairly common, Puerto Rico less common and settles is pretty rare.
Battlestar Galactica is very popular, as is Cosmic, though I havn't seen a game of MM'44 in years.
Thankfully I am not that fussy, my old high school buddies insist on Risk which I am not a fan off, and it is still a good time. I have accepted though that I will never beat 2 defenders no matter how many people I send at them. Stupid game.
Mr Skeletor wrote:Alpha is probably the Wargaming king in melbourne and loves trying to recruit new wargamers so if you want to learn ASL he is your man (he is also prone to making suicidal moves so he is good to play against as a newbie.) The forum owner is also an ASL tragic.
Wargaming makes me nervous. I'd have to watch a session or two some time before I even contemplated the shattering my confidence on it.
Mr Skeletor wrote: Also if you would like to play the old CLASSIC DUNE! there is currently an opening for a Freeman player
Very tempting....when and where would this be? I will struggle with weekends as that is when I get my most family time so my wife wont love me using that all up. According to Pug's Guide to Dune on BGG, "The Fremen are one of the least feared factions in the game. They don’t get as much respect as most of the other factions and are often taken for granted, but you can turn this into a strength.", this sounds like a set up :)

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:33 pm

sime wrote:I don't know how true this is but I remember hearing that Dune has a bunch of different players, and each has a game breaking ability...and somehow the game balances. Is that true?
The first part is true, the second part is not.

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:29 pm

Welcome to the boards, hope to see you around.

Dune is the ancient predecessor to Cosmic Encounter.

CE has you play races that each have potentially wild, game-breaking abilities - so the key to winning is more about table talk, with a little luck with the card draw, in order to take the best advantage of your abilities. This is also the case with Dune, except that the starting positions and economies cause a limited amount of winning strategies in the first few turns for each faction, forcing you to follow a relatively narrow starting path. If you do get beyond those first few turns, the game opens up - though you'll have trouble convincing some Melbourne gamers of that. Last time the game was played, it died before it got off the ground.

sime

Post by sime » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:42 am

Dune looks really sweet. The whole theme is one that I genuinely don't know why I haven't immersed myself in it. Everything I have ever briefly encountered about the series has had me interested but I just haven't gotten around to reading it. Lately I can't even get up enough momentum to read a single issue of a comic book but that is neither here nor there.

When we played CE it seemed to not last more than a few rounds before someone won. The second game the guys played kind of went the same way. Is that because we aren't any good at it? Or is it a game where it does end quite quickly in game terms (not time terms due to the banter).

Looking at the games I have, and the games that people are throwing around in these forums, I seem to be playing/buying quite mainstream games. Mr Skeletor mentioned this 'cult of the new', however what are the classics that are worth trying to learn because they come up so often?

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:34 am

sime wrote:Dune looks really sweet. The whole theme is one that I genuinely don't know why I haven't immersed myself in it. Everything I have ever briefly encountered about the series has had me interested but I just haven't gotten around to reading it. Lately I can't even get up enough momentum to read a single issue of a comic book but that is neither here nor there.
Dune, the game, is very sweet. The mechanics and gameplay fit the theme so well, which is why it is an Ameritrash Classic I guess. The first book in the series is pretty good too - if you get to read it, you will enjoy the game a lot more.
sime wrote:When we played CE it seemed to not last more than a few rounds before someone won. The second game the guys played kind of went the same way. Is that because we aren't any good at it? Or is it a game where it does end quite quickly in game terms (not time terms due to the banter).
Your group of players are likely inviting too many people to ally on the attack. We have played CE dozens of times recently, and some games do finish quickly, but others go on for many many rounds.
sime wrote:Looking at the games I have, and the games that people are throwing around in these forums, I seem to be playing/buying quite mainstream games. Mr Skeletor mentioned this 'cult of the new', however what are the classics that are worth trying to learn because they come up so often?
One thing about these forums is that Euro people are much less vocal. You won't see people here talking about organising a game of Power Grid, although it seems like it is played every week at Dockers. The euro games lend themselves to more casual play, people will just bring games along and invite whomever is around to play.

When it comes to wargames and AT, as Frank (Mr Skeletor) mentioned earlier, games are organised in advance as they require more of a time commitment to play, and often more players to get a game started. Usually AT and wargames are less mainstream, which is why you would have the impression these are games we play mostly in Melbourne from reading the forums - but they aren't really.

sime

Post by sime » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:38 am

Aaahh that sounds exactly like what we were doing with CE. Everyone was jumping into everyones attack because one of us had that alien power that meant you wouldn't lose your ships, and another guy was the parasite alien. I also think we all got a bit excited at being able to participate in some else's turn like that after a really flat Ticket To Ride game prior.

Unhalfbricking

Post by Unhalfbricking » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:49 pm

sime wrote:I live in Melbourne, out west side in Altona Bay (technically Altona Meadows but I much prefer my pockets pre-unification name).
Adam lives in Altona Meadows. Red_Gamster. He used to run a gaming session but the family might have stopped that for a while.

Regards
Julian

gregor

Post by gregor » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:19 am

I haven't played much of the new CE; the old one predates Dune. Brilliant game.

When we played a lot, we'd use multiple changing powers-- so you really had to plan a definitive strike to get a chance at victory-- and hope other people couldn't stop you. Usually games would end with alliance wins. One game took 6 hours.

CE can be really quick- you can get a quite asymetric power mix and one player can be nigh unstoppable-- if that's the case, the game takes 20 minutes and you can play another straight away. It's a deliberate part of the design.

Glory to Rome has some of the feeling of CE-- though there's less table talk.

sime

Post by sime » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:37 am

Unhalfbricking wrote: Adam lives in Altona Meadows. Red_Gamster. He used to run a gaming session but the family might have stopped that for a while.

Regards
Julian
I think I met Adam last night, I got a chance to play BSG with some of the Altona gamers. Great fun. So glad I didn't have to be the one explaining the rules because that would have melted my work week mind. With the Pegasus expansion we didn't get close to finishing but man it is cool when the Sleeper phase kicks in and the suspicion ramps up. I fortunately got to wander around being mostly ineffectual as Zarek drawing piles of cards waiting to unsurp a cylon president. I am looking forward to playing it through to completion some time.

sime

Post by sime » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 am

gregor wrote:I haven't played much of the new CE; the old one predates Dune. Brilliant game.

When we played a lot, we'd use multiple changing powers-- so you really had to plan a definitive strike to get a chance at victory-- and hope other people couldn't stop you. Usually games would end with alliance wins. One game took 6 hours.
6 hours is a mighty long game of CE. I know that personally I am going to struggle to not want to win outright...maybe I should keep that on the down low so that if I play anyone on here they don't use that info to play me for a fool.

I don't know about the differences between the old version and the new version but I'm looking forward to the expansion to kick the new version to 6 players.