The Call of Cthulu - Investigators Wanted

Looking for a game in your area? Post games you are looking for, or games you are looking to include others in.
rjphelan

The Call of Cthulu - Investigators Wanted

Post by rjphelan » Sun May 10, 2009 8:40 pm

Strange rumors, terrible secrets, and mind twisting horrors lurk in the fog filled streets of Arkham. Whether you're a private detective, an archeologist, a professor of the occult, or simply the inheritor of a distant relative's private estate, the world of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulu Mythos waits to be explored.

Some of us here in the Melbourne Gamers community want to be a part of that exploration, and we're looking for a few more good investigators to give it a go with Chaosium's Call of Cthulu RPG (role-playing game).

If you've ever played the boardgame, Arkham Horror, you're already familiar with the source material. For those not familiar, you would be playing the part of a character from the 1920's who through some horrible stroke of fate has stumbled upon a sinister plot or a stirring ancient evil that is unlike anything mankind was ever meant to know. Beings of unimaginable power threaten everything, and all you can hope for is to survive and stay sane long enough to stop whatever it is that lurks just beyond the portal to the worlds beyond.

Players will not have to know much about the rule system. It is simple enough that the mechanics will not get in the way of the story. Like the boardgame, the players will face long odds with little hope of survival, but it's all to save the world.

Four players plus myself should be enough to get things started. More would be fine. Please post here if you have interest in trying it out. If you haven't tried RPGs before, I can promise you that this group will not be an intimidating one. Newcomers are indeed welcome. That's not to say that grizzled vets of the gaming world aren't. We'd love to have you too.

Game Runner: Ryan

Investigators:
1. Ben (westgarthworld)
2. Christian (christianmoura)
3. Daniel (ElCaptain)
4. Chee (cyhiew)
5. Gregor?
Last edited by rjphelan on Tue May 12, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Mon May 11, 2009 12:32 pm

Call of Cthulhu is the best RPG ever.

gregor

Post by gregor » Mon May 11, 2009 8:19 pm

What's the time commitment?

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Mon May 11, 2009 9:52 pm

> What's the time commitment?

Flexible. I don't think anyone's expecting a quick pace. Christian is going to be away for a large chunk of this winter so if he plays, (which he probably will, seeing as he has the books), there will certainly be a break in June.

I think that ultimately the commitment level will be determined by the first group of players that shows up to participate. We can figure out where we want to go from there, with the people we have.

In terms of what I am attempting to achieve in this first go-around, I think that I'd be happy with simply getting through a light, but fun story arc with a definite conclusion. I don't want to push for an open-ended campaign unless after the first session, the players think that such an attempt would be plausible and worthwhile.

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Tue May 12, 2009 1:40 am

For purposes of academic review only, there is a good bunch of COC material online here

http://www.torrentreactor.net/torrents/ ... -RPG-stuff

it is a torrent file with a bundle of pdfs of various things.

I have generated the character creation pack for the planned gaslight campaign, anyone interested please let me know and I'll email it to you.
Attachments
nec4.jpg
nec4.jpg (52.62 KiB) Viewed 10078 times

elCaptain

Post by elCaptain » Tue May 12, 2009 12:26 pm

I'm interested in this for sure guys! Keep me informed.
Daniel
aka
elCaptain

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Tue May 12, 2009 2:00 pm

ElCap, do you have a preference for a 1920's setting or an 1890's? Same question for Gregor, if he's interested in playing as well.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Tue May 12, 2009 3:48 pm

I prefer Saturday or Sundays. Games at EGF are also good. I will be away for two weeks in early June, which unfortunately coincides with the next EGF.

We might think of playing a stand-alone scenario first. That way people can decide if they like the experience, and if so, we can use the same characters and embark on a longer campaign.

elCaptain

Post by elCaptain » Tue May 12, 2009 5:11 pm

I don't really have a preference on years either way. Is my Character more likely to get a Maxim gun if we play in 1920? :p
Daniel
aka
elCaptain

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Tue May 12, 2009 8:40 pm

I suppose you would more likely have access to recoil-loading machine guns in the 1920's, yes. Whether that means you'll have access to them at all is entirely dependent upon the situation.

Although from my understanding of the Mythos, an attempt to take on one of the Great Old Ones with a Maxim Gun may not have the effect that you desire. Perhaps limited access to military weapons would encourage longevity in your character.

westgarthworldwide

Post by westgarthworldwide » Tue May 12, 2009 10:36 pm

Firearms (whether repeating, automatic etc.) are of limited use against creatures of the mythos.

Many are immune to firearms or at the very least affected less by them. There are also all sorts of considerations for investigators - accidentally shoot the wrong person and you are likely to end up on the wrong end of a rope, electric chair or similar - or perhaps an indefinite stay in a mental hospital if you start spouting about how the dockworker you blew away was actually a half-human fishman from another dimension....

While firearms laws are far less strict (or non-existent) in the 19th and early 20th centuries compared to today, an investigator who runs out and buys himself a bandolier of revolvers, a brace of shotguns and some dynamite is quite likely to:

a) Be considered a nut by others he encounters, making his enquiries more difficult
b) At risk of accidentally shooting/blowing up himself or his friends
c) Encourage fear or hostility from those similarly armed

Something to bear in mind.

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Wed May 13, 2009 1:29 am

So how about we try to get something in by the end of May? Say on the last Saturday of the month? Would that be all right for people?

Also, there is the issue of character generation? Should there just be preset characters that get handed out or do people really want to jump into the creation process? (Handing out characters in Paranoia was easy enough, but there is a bit more characterization in CoC.)

elCaptain

Post by elCaptain » Wed May 13, 2009 9:44 am

Saturday May 30th is fine for me. I'll keep the day free.

As for character generation, I'd love to make my own but I'm happy to accept a pre-created one, if it will speed things along.

Keep in mind I've never played this before, but I have some experience with tabletop RPGs and love the Cthulhu mythos.

Westgarthworldwide, I'll try and keep the gunplay to a minimum, thanks for the advice.
Daniel
aka
elCaptain

Mr Skeletor

Post by Mr Skeletor » Wed May 13, 2009 10:00 pm

SOunds interesting.

meily

Post by meily » Thu May 14, 2009 1:19 pm

It does sound interesting. Is this like one of those choose-your-own-adventure sort of thing?
I'd be interested to try it, but I can't make it on the 30th May. I might join you guys next time if that's alright.