Non-Conquest gaming during Easter

Looking for a game in your area? Post games you are looking for, or games you are looking to include others in.
christianmoura

Non-Conquest gaming during Easter

Post by christianmoura » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:08 pm

I'm free during easter, and have the house to myself. Anyone interested in getting together for something more involved than the standard fare at Dockers?

I'm thinking of games along the line of:

Angola
Dune
Europe Engulfed
Pax Romana
Here I Stand
Clash of Monarchs (?!)
Fire in the Sky
... etc.

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:37 pm

Yep. In for any of that.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:03 pm

Sweet. I prefer to play on Sunday or Monday afternoon/evening - we can discuss it tomorrow at Dockers.

If it only the two of us, I'd be more keen to play:

Paths of Glory
Europe Engulfed (1941 scenario)
Asia Engulfed (have to borrow this one from Ben)
FAB: The Bulge (the whole campaign scenario)
Fire in the Sky

You can have a look at these games on BGG, and see which one you'd be more interested in.

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:36 pm

I'll try Europe Engulfed. You'll have to help me with the rules though.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:01 pm

rjphelan wrote:I'll try Europe Engulfed. You'll have to help me with the rules though.
Good choice - you are bound to like it, if you like East Front. Also makes a good 3 player game, if anyone else is interested (Chee? Ben?).

I'll help you with the rules.

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:37 pm

If we could get a few more, would you be willing to link up Europe and Asia Engulfed?

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:05 pm

rjphelan wrote:If we could get a few more, would you be willing to link up Europe and Asia Engulfed?
I would, but we would likely need to play Sunday and Monday (which is fine with me). However, given that 5 players is the recommended number, and no one I know is really familiar with AE, it might be a bit ambitious.

EE and AE are also, despite the name and all, quite unrelated and independent games. There are rules for combining both, but there is little correlation between events on one theatre and the other.

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:31 pm

I would like to play but am not sure of availability yet. I have a bunch of stuff to do. Will hopefull know by Thursday. If I make it it will be only one day, either Sun or Mon but not both. Would not mind EE.

Chee
Dont Panic !

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Sounds good. I'd happily stick with EE, then. And Chee, it'd be great if you could come.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:51 am

rjphelan wrote:Sounds good. I'd happily stick with EE, then. And Chee, it'd be great if you could come.
We'll play the 1941 scenario, I'll play the commonwealth (as naval and supply rules are the trickiest), you and Chee can decide who plays Axis and the Soviets.

rjphelan

Post by rjphelan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:02 am

Rundown of the game for anyone who's interested:

Barbarossa begins in summer '41, two big german armies are arrayed in the center, one going north, towards Moscow, the other south towards the Don River Bend. The north army assaults and goes quickly towards its destination, while the southern army takes a more cautious approach and ends up getting bogged down on staunch soviet defenders. An early blitz of the Lagoda Swamps just outside of Moscow forces an early play of the Soviet's lone Special Action token (Christian elected to take conscription) and a fluffed attack in the swamps puts a halt to the german dream of Moscow.

Since the attack in the South was so slow, the northern army comes to the aid of its southern compatriots, figuring on changing tactics and going for Baku. Instead, the entire german east front ends up meandering around for too long inside central Russia, and the forces from the East Urals arrive and set up fortification that intimidates the German commander (me) who probably should have just pressed forward faster. The only good news was that the germans managed to get lucky and take Leningrad, freeing up the "Fightin' Fins" to get some payback for the Winter War, by attacking the Reds on their own soil.

Meanwhile, Rommel and his Italian allies in the desert attempt to besiege Tobruk, but fail miserably, taking heavy losses. The entire British contingent from Egypt pushes in to Italian held Libya, and puts Rommel out of supply. A brave sallying of Italian troops from the mainland rushes to help Rommel's elite panzer corps stay alive, but British Fleets knock out too many Italian supply ships, forcing Rommel and the German ground support to leave Africa. Though the Italians put up a decent fight, it is only a matter of time before they are wiped away by the Brits, who manage to take Africa without American aid.

Back on the east front, a taxing first winter in Russia has frozen Hitler's armies, giving the warm coated Russians time to build up and amass into a single "blob" in the east. With a sudden strike from Vorenzh, a huge force of Russians descend on a relatively small garrison and breach the German lines in late Spring of '42. In response, the northern and southern German armies, position themselves and engage the Russian Blob simultaneously, forming a counter legion (an Uber-Blob). The size of the two armies meeting at Kersk in the summer of 1942 is large enough to shake the very foundations of the earth. The Germans win the battle, with only a smattering of the very elite Russian shock troops living to tell the tale.

From that point forward however, the Germans are careless. Rather than split their forces up and find a good overall defensive position, the High Command decides to keep the Uber Blob intact, to the detriment of the rest of their eastern lines. Fear of the Uber Blob keeps the Soviets honest throughout the next winter, but in time, the Soviets will have enough men to creep forward in too many regions for the Uber Blob to cover. It was a defensive tactic doomed to fail.

Elsewhere, Western Allied forces are gearing up for mainland invasion. It is uncertain where they will attack, but elite SS forces are covering France tightly, expecting perhaps an attack on Bordeaux or perhaps even Belgium. Unexpectedly, the first landing comes against the Balkan coast, where Bulgarian infantry confront a combined UK/USA assault. A rookie german general does not realize the serious implications of this beachhead, and elects to reinforce, but not assault and attempt to remove the beachhead. Allowing more Allied troops to pour in. It would seem that paying attention the management of the Uber Blob on the east front has become all-consuming to High Command, and they are neglecting the West menace.

Taking advantage of his first success, the Western Allies commander launches a second invasion, this time in Denmark. Again the beach head holds, due to a lack of appropriate response from the Fatherland, and now Allied troops march through southeast Europe as more pour in one region away from the heart of Germany.

By the ending months of 1943, the German Uber-Blob breaks apart, finally recognizing that it cannot counter attack without exposing itself to being horribly out of supply and leaving key production centers in Europe be at risk from Soviet AND W. Allies overrun.

With the successful invasion of Denmark and the overrun of Yugoslavia behind German east front lines by the Allies, the Germans sue for peace, hoping to receive mercy from the West, before Mother Russia can set foot anywhere near German soil.

Decisive Victory for Christian's Allies. Spectacular failure by Ryan's Axis, though the Epic Showdown at Kersk was fun.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:50 am

The battle of the Soviet Blob versus the Uber-blob was epic beyond all proportion. How many steps did you have? 120+?

You should post this AAR on BGG. There has been a recent one posted, of this same scenario - The germans take Baku (!) in the frist turn, and the russians choose not to take conscription (!!), and Rommel clears out the brits in NA (!!!) - needless to say, the Allies didn't do to well.

cyhiew

Post by cyhiew » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:58 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun...sorry I cold not make it...stuck at work as I did get called in as well. Another weekend perhaps.

Curious to know how long did the game take and did you go to the last game turn of the scenario?

Great AAR Ryan...agree with Christian and you should post it on BGG. I was going to ask you guys how the game went and you beat me to it with the answer :lol:
Dont Panic !

meng

Post by meng » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:55 pm

I still don't know who won the Successors game!

Thanks for the AAR. I've never played EE, but it and TK! (see below) are the definitive ETO games as far as I'm concerned. After a few games of Advanced Third Reich, I've decided that anything of this complexity or higher is too much effort for insufficient reward.

I'm playing my first game Totaler Krieg! at the moment (by email) and the Allies (me) are doing ridiculously well. Towards the end of 1941, France still hasn't fallen (although it is reduced to a North African rump), Spain is an Axis minor (but Gibraltar is not under threat), and Stalin pre-empted Barbarossa by breaking the Nazi-Soviet Pact, pushing the frontline as far west as Krakow. With less than 12 months until the US enters the war, I predict the Germans will only make it as far as Minsk, with the Allies dancing in Berlin by mid-1944.

christianmoura

Post by christianmoura » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:09 pm

Meng, I checked the rules - you did win Successors. The FAQ only adds that a player is allowed to bury the body at the end of the turn, but you also can do it at any time you finish your card play/action.