Stranger Gamers - Newport Games Meetup Session 10th Dec 2014

Looking for a game in your area? Post games you are looking for, or games you are looking to include others in.
BaronM

Stranger Gamers - Newport Games Meetup Session 10th Dec 2014

Post by BaronM » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Hey folks,

This will be our last session for 2014!
So come on down and meet the ever growing number of folks, bring a game if you like, grab a beer and settle in for a night of fun out west.

Next Session :
Wednesday 10/12/14 (6.30pm - 10pm)
Newport Junction Hotel
15 Hall St
Newport
You can find us in the Function Room at the back of the venue (walk through the Beer Hall, it's a massive room outside you'll see us through the glass panes)

All games are welcome! Bring some friends, grab a beer and have some laughs!
Bringing games is optional but always appreciated.
There are a number of fresh-faced gamers just getting into the hobby and some hardcore veterans among the group, so all players of all varieties are welcome.
Hope to see you there!
If you have any questions or anything please feel free to shoot me a message.

***UPDATE***
Facebook and Meetup.com groups have been made to really drive home that this is now a thing.
For those that might want to join the Facebook group use this link
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1528447384036491/

For those that prefer Meetup.com, join in the fun here
http://www.meetup.com/Stranger-Gamers-N ... -Sessions/

Look forward to seeing you at the next event.
Cheers,
Michael.
Last edited by BaronM on Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 9 times in total.

crikeythecat

Re: Newport Game Startup, looking for players.

Post by crikeythecat » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:09 am

Its great to see another games venue available. Good luck (personally i cant do Wednesdays)

You may clash a bit with Wednesday nights at the Royal Standard - which is every second Wednesday and not far away in North Melbourne
http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-group- ... tegy-games

BaronM

Post by BaronM » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:58 am

Cheers Crikey!
Nothing solid yet. Still trying to organize it. But I plan to run it on the alternating Wednesdays. I enjoy the Royal Standard meets myself and don't want to overlap.

Vroenis

Post by Vroenis » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi Michael,

I've only just signed up myself but I do live in the west. I wouldn't mind coming & meeting some folks & seeing what goes on, possibly eventually bringing some games. Newport is close enough to both work (Port Melbourne) & home so the Junction is quite convenient.

I do have a fortnightly group on Thursdays but for the moment, I'm ahead on prep & it probably wouldn't be a problem (unless on the odd occasion they ask to play something I've not read & ruled & for some reason can't do prep early in the week).

Cheers,

Tim.

BaronM

Post by BaronM » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Pleased to meet you Tim,

I appreciate the feedback and am hoping I can get it all underway. The more friendly faces the better.
I have a meeting with the bar manager on Saturday to see if we can work out details.
So if all goes well I hope to be online over the weekend with some good news!

If you're wary of bringing your own games that's cool, I'll have some available for people to select from. Depending on how many people turn up and how it all goes I hope to see this as a regular occurrence, so perhaps you'll feel more comfortable bringing your favourites with you in future.
So in the meantime, no sweat, you can always feel free to grab a game, a beer and have some laughs with a bunch of friendly strangers.

I'll post again as soon as I know their answer. I have a few other locations in mind if this one is a no go, so I'll try to get something solid organised before I get too ahead of myself.

Cheers boss,
Michael.

BaronM

Post by BaronM » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:40 pm

updated the main entry

BaronM

Re: Newport Game Startup IS A GO!

Post by BaronM » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:48 pm

updated for date/time/venue

Vroenis

Re: Newport Game Startup IS A GO! (Wed 3rd September 6.30pm)

Post by Vroenis » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:24 pm

Sorry I missed this earlier Michael, I've only just checked in today.

I'm happy to bring games, it's more just a bit of AP in deciding what to bring not really knowing the group XD I can bring a selection if you like? Heavier Euros? One hour Euros? Card based games that go for 45 minutes or less? XD I'm pretty much up for anything, if you like, feel free to look through my BGG listing & select titles, I'll be guided by you & of-course over time, the dynamics & tastes that emerge from the group :)

Edit: also thanks for your efforts in organising the venue, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tim.

Neez

Post by Neez » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:13 am

Baron - have u thought of putting this up on Meetup Boardgames Group - especially if your going to make it an ongoing thing.

BaronM

Post by BaronM » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Pleased to meet you both Neez and Vroenis,

Neez - I had considered putting this event up in meetup, however because it's only a trial run I'm uncertain if the management staff will allow it to be an ongoing event. In part this is because they've not experienced having a board game meet before and so are waiting to see if there is enough of a turn out and feeling out whether it fits in with their venues motif, and partially because they like to keep it available for hire which I've been lucky enough to have the room for free at this point.
I'll be speaking with the management again after Wednesday to get their impressions and depending on how it all went I'll get the thumbs up or down on running it again. If all goes well than you bet this will appear on meetup :)

Vroenis - I know what you mean, I've got a number of games myself and even I'm not sure what to bring. From the people I know to be coming some haven't played many board games since Monopoly and others are well versed in modern gaming. So I'll be bringing mostly gateway and card games like Ticket to Ride (USA map), Smash Up, Pandemic, Citadels, Love Letter and maybe Bang Dice, Infiltration or Resistance. I'll leave it at your discretion as to what you want to bring along but some hour euros sound good :) There should be players of all levels about I think, having some more in-depth games available would be great! You are right though, as the events run everyone will get a feel for it.

Everyone - Please be aware, the function room faces the venue and beer hall, which means anyone that comes into the venue could potentially come and join us in the function room. This could be a great thing as it could mean more players, but does increase the potential for mishandling of games, etc. For those that are a little protective I feel you should be aware ahead of time. If you'd prefer to keep your games in a bag or some such near yourself but are willing to let others play them with your consent let me know on the night, I can always direct people to you if you're unsure about leaving games on the games table.

Cheers guys,
Michael.

BaronM

Re: Newport Game Sessions (01/10/14) Now on Meetup & Facebook

Post by BaronM » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:46 am

updated - new session date

BaronM

Re: Newport Game Sessions 15/11/14 Now on Meetup & Facebook

Post by BaronM » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:56 pm

New session dates

BaronM

Re: Stranger Gamers - Newport Games Meetup Session 10th Dec 2014