International Games Day @ your library 2013

Looking for a game in your area? Post games you are looking for, or games you are looking to include others in.
PMin

International Games Day @ your library 2013

Post by PMin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi everyone!

It's on again! Saturday November 16th is your chance to join gamers at libraries the world over and celebrate games, libraries and community at the sixth annual International Games Day @ your library.

We'll also be running the Global Gossip Game again this year. For those who didn't get to play last time, it's a single game that literally spans the globe - last year it started in St Kilda and went westwards from timezone to timezone, through 7 languages and each of the 6 inhabited continents, and finished up in Alaska. This year we're on track to have ALL SEVEN continents playing - the library of one of Australia's Antarctic bases (Casey Station) is going to join us!

Not quite sure how we're going to top that for 2014, but the ISS does have a library...

DIY IGD

The odds aren't great that your library is already participating - the number of libraries organising the event here in Oz is relatively low still. This is because Australian libraries are still a bit hesitant about the amount of support and interest there is for gaming, especially non-electronic gaming. So I'd like to encourage people to use the occasion as a way to let your library know that you want more games in your library - better collections, more events, and so on.

What you can do: basically just game with a bunch of friends in the library! Get together a group of people who would be interested in playing games on or around that date (you can play any date around then, but if you play on the official date, you are eligible to join in the game that will go to Antarctica, and your library will have free access to GameTable Online). Then go to the library and ask them if they're planning to participate in International Games Day @ your library. If they are, great - all you need to do is RSVP! If they're thinking of it, tell them your group would love to attend. If they don't know what it is, explain that it's a worldwide celebration of games and libraries, that it's free to participate, there are free promotional materials they can use, and that all they need to do is have gaming happening in the library on or around Saturday November 16. Then mention that you have a group of people who are interested in gaming in the library - and might even be able to bring your own games...

It doesn't have to be anything huge. It's much like the National Simultaneous Storytime, which they will probably have heard of - it's just people using the library for its normal purposes (and playing games is a perfectly normal thing to do in a library), but consciously doing so along with other people in other libraries. It's a way to celebrate games, libraries, and the communities that love them both.

If they might be interested, give them the blog's URL - http://igd.ala.org/about - and the registration URL - http://bit.ly/igd13reg. All the information and resources they need are there.

If the library is unable to run it at all, ask them if they are comfortable with you running an informal event - i.e. just coming into the library with your friends like any other group of patrons. Unless the library is closed or has some other event on, there is usually no major reason for them to say that this is a problem. Then ask them if they're OK to put up posters for the event - they should at least allow you to use the community noticeboard. Finally, ask about what spaces are available and suitable to use (bear in mind that if you come later in the day others may already have taken these), and check their policy around food and drink, so you know what's OK. If they're happy for you to do this, they can still register and appear on our map of participants - or if they're happy for you to register on their behalf, great!

If your library's staff, or you, have any questions about the event, please feel free to get in touch: my email is euchronicatgmail, or you can PM me.

Disclosure: it might quite reasonably occur to some people to wonder what I get out of all this. The answer is nothing (except more support for games in libraries). I love libraries, and games, and think both would benefit from more overlap. I even did a panel at PAX Australia to this effect. I am working on IGD@yl - promoting the Australian wing, running Global Gossip, managing the international library-facing blog - purely as a volunteer because it's a great way to get libraries to realise the potential of games.

Also: just checking everyone who likes those sorts of games knows about my monthly Werewolf nights in St Kilda?

KonradwithaK

Re: International Games Day @ your library 2013

Post by KonradwithaK » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:28 am

Hi PMin
Thanks mostly to the efforts of Avatrix (Rachel), there is now a group of us playing monthly at the Werribee library. You can find various threads about this on this site, if you haven't already seen them. The threads will give you some idea of the process involved in getting this established, not too different to what you have said here.
If you want to discuss our experiences further, or meet in person, pm either Rachel or myself (she's the rocket, I'm more the support crew).

There are two more Werrbrary sessions before the IGD@yL if you'd like to come out and see us in action, the next being the 28th this month. And thanks to your information, we might be able to make our November session part of the IGD.

Are you familiar with (or already using) the Going Cardboard video when talking to libraries and councils? The intro to it promotes getting games into libraries, and states several reasons why. Our library manager was already interested in having us start up sessions when we approached her, but she really enjoyed the video as well.

Hope we can talk together soon.
Cheers,
K

PMin

Post by PMin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks KonradwithaK! Sorry for the delay in responding - it got very busy both for me personally and at the international level of IGD organising over the last couple of weeks, and I had to let the local IGD volunteering slip for a moment. I will definitely aim to be there on the 28th though! I'll PM you both shortly. Thanks again! And anyone else who was interested but worried by my tardiness in replying - I'm back - feel free to be in touch!

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:41 am

Just to let you know, two Melbourne libraries will be participating this year, at Point Cook (16/11) and at Werribee (23/11 - Werbrary gamers participating). :D

MooseHead

Re: International Games Day @ your library 2014

Post by MooseHead » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:06 am

Start your planning everyone. Set aside the 3rd Saturday in November:

November 15th, 2014 is International Games Day at your local library

Info at: http://igd.ala.org/about/

Speak with your local library about how you might help them coordinate and run Australia's 4th annual participation in this worldwide event.

Euro Games Fest (Melbourne) has commenced discussions with the Mt. Waverley Public Library which is adjacent to Wadham House, the location of their twice monthly gatherings on the 1st & 3rd Sundays of each month. By us working closing with the library next door, it means two days of gaming awesomeness in a blockbuster month for gaming that November 2014 will be.

In the words of Phil Minchin, Australia's champion of IGD, "First celebrated in Australia at the State Library of Victoria in 2011, International Games Day @ your library began 6 years ago as a "National" initiative of the American Library Association. Volunteer library-lovers globally took it up, and it is now a genuinely international day."

This is your chance to help grow the activity we all love.

MooseHead

Post by MooseHead » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:46 pm

Euro Games Fest Melbourne has now confirmed participation for International Games Day at your local Library and will convene in conjunction with the Mt. Waverley library. We will have the upstairs function room all to ourselves in a food friendly environment at no charge. Holds about 30-40 people comfortably. 10am till 3pm.

On that day, we will showcase gateway games inclusive of fillers with no game over 90 mins in play length. To make it happen, we need some volunteers who are prepared to teach others as opposed to necessarily play the games.

Games we intend to showcase include:
  • The Settlers of Catan
  • Ticket to Ride
  • King of Tokyo
  • Dominion
  • Timeline: Inventions
  • Pandemic
  • Transamerica
Over and above our usual channels of Meetup, MelbourneGamers and BGG, the event will be publicised locally via the library and city of Monash community feeds inclusive of display cases at their two of their libraries. There is possibility this will also occur at the Glen Waverley library though would be managed by a different group which is currently under discussion.

How you can help is if you wish to take a leading role in this community engagement, and we need 4 or 5 leaders to help with the teaching, please send me a PM. If you can think of other gateway games which have high availability, we are open to suggestion of those and would welcome you to be available to help teach.

Note: Still need base game copies of Dominion and King of Tokyo for loan on the day.