Where are all the gamers???

Looking for a game in your area? Post games you are looking for, or games you are looking to include others in.
Arlyansor

Where are all the gamers???

Post by Arlyansor » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:03 pm

Growing up in Darwin, and then living in Brisbane for years, I was constantly told by friends and gaming acquaintances that Melbourne was the place to go for gaming in Australia.

Well, I've finally made it to Melbourne, and I find that it's very, very hard to find gamers, let alone find a game!

I am currently living on the West side (Werribee) and I am finding it very hard to get any kind of gaming fix, let alone a regular one.

There are a few games on meetup.com but they are either full up, or so volatile in terms of the day to be played that there's not really any point in joining..

On top of that, as a poor student, I cannot afford to travel across Melbourne (I needed to catch three trains, and then two buses to get to one potential game!) to attend a game in Dandenong or similar (alas, I do not possess that wonder or wonders, a car...) unless I am damned sure it is going to actually be running.

SO, where in Melbourne are all the gamers hiding?

crikeythecat

Re: Where are all the gamers???

Post by crikeythecat » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:33 pm

Well these forums are a pretty good spot to start.

If you want:
- a weekly fix Part 1: Gamers@Dockers - every Thursday at Good Games in the city (central CBD). I live in Werribee and attend almost every Thursday so if you need a lift home you might be lucky.
- a weekly fix Part 2: Billabong Boardgamers - every Tuesday near Chadstone...not so easy from Werribee on public transport
- a fortnightly fix Part 1: Royal Standard - every second Wednesday....North Melbourne, next to Vic Market, pretty close to Train station. Yes its on meetup, but Ive never had any trouble getting in.
- a fortnightly fix Part 2: EuroGamesFest - 1st & 3rd Sunday

and then theres:
- Cafe Games, monthly
- Western Suburbs Gaming - in Werribee library no less. Currently 4th Saturday of the month, perhaps you can help it grow.

surely thats enough to get you started :o , but theres more than that too
Last edited by crikeythecat on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:26 am

Hi Arlyansor, welcome to the West.
and then theres:
- Western Suburbs Gaming - in Werribee library no less. Currently ad hoc, perhaps you can help it grow.
Re the Werribee library games, also see (in this Organise a Game category) this topic:
Western Suburbs Gamers - library sessions in Werribee

The next session (and we meet regularly now, 4th Saturday of the month) will be next weekend, 24/8, from 10 - 3.30ish. Come in if you can and meet a bunch of other Werribee/Wyndham/nearby gamers. We can sort out other chances to play in the area as well.
Hope to meet you soon. :)

KonradwithaK

Post by KonradwithaK » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:09 am

Hey, Arlyansor,
Didn't make your acquaintance at Werrbrary games last month, so figure you weren't there. The next session will be on the 28th this month, come in if you are still interested in local gaming and can make it. If anything else pops up informally before then, I'll let you know.

Hope you're settling in well to Melbourne.

urbaer

Post by urbaer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:36 am

Maybe we should pin a "Regular Public Gaming" topic to the Organise a Game Forum

Here are the regular public events on in and around Melbourne

Weekly
Gamers@Dockers - every Thursday at Good Games in the city (central CBD) [forum]
Billabong Boardgamers - every Tuesday near Chadstone [meetup][forum]

Fortnightly
Royal Standard - every second Wednesday....North Melbourne, next to Vic Market [meetup]
EuroGamesFest - 1st & 3rd Sunday in Mt Waverley [meetup] [forum]
Northern Suburbs Eurogamers - Bar Nancy in Northcote 1st & 3rd Sunday [meetup][forum]

Semimonthly
Meeting with the board, Games Lab inthe City website

Monthly
Cafe Games, monthly (party games only between 12-5) [meetup][website]
Western Suburbs Gaming - at Werribee library , currently 4th Saturday of the month (-- any website/facebook/meetup?)

rossmac

Post by rossmac » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:24 pm

I've just posted details of a new monthly group, 'urbangamer' on this forum:

http://www.melbournegamers.com/viewtopi ... =17&t=1714

First Saturday of each month from 6.30pm at urbanlife cafe, 143 Maroondah Highway Ringwood.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/258539524282307/